Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

But stilll no tinting to indicate height bands. :(

Is this some sort of Ordnance Survey "special feature"?

I've certainly not seen it on maps from various countries (US, Germany, Singapore, etc.).

Here is an Australian military map depicting part of the Singleton Range:

15978311503_552bf6bb49_o.jpg

Admittedly I just took a photo rather than scan it.

Here is the current Steel Beasts map of roughly the same area (I think I omitted a 1Km strip on the west):

15978347123_8eb975d9f3_o.png

The terrain is fairly open savannah in the North becoming hilly and broken as you go South (South of roughly the 73 Northing is about 200m higher than the area North of the 77 Northing).

The only tinting I can see is the foliage in green. The contour intervals on both maps are the same.

There are additional markings for the power lines and some areas designated as cliffs, but I see no tinting per se to indicate height? The closeness of the contour lines generate their own "tinting" I guess, but that was also in the earlier image that you commented on.

Edited by Gibsonm
"Tiniting" replacing "shading"

Well the only difference I can see between an SB-map and a real mil map in that matter is, that on the real map some of the contour lines are marked with the height in meters...

Indeed, as I mentioned back in post #3052:

But in any case I'd certainly like the major contours to be enhanced if possible (e.g. most printed maps have say 50m, 100m, 150m, etc a slightly different colour to the ordinary contours in between) but then you run into issues where zooming out (which you can't do with a paper map) might result in those labels overlapping and obscuring the other ones and depending on the interval set (again not possible with a paper map) they may not even be displayed.

• Members
I was just genuinely curious as to what this tinting was.

I think he's referring to the option in the original Steel Beasts (1.xx) game where, by pressing the space bar, you'd get a color scale to indicate heights (fair yellow-brown) and depressions (a darker shade of brown). That worked reasonably well because the height variation of a map could not exceed 100m.

With the transition to 16 bit resolution the simple greyshading no longer worked well, so we had to abandon it. Unfortunately that means that a number of concentric blob lines could either indicate a hill top, or the bottom of a bowl. You need to move the mouse pointer there and read the height display on the right. From a functionality point of view, that was indeed a step backwards.

I still hope that we can bring it back with some shader magic. But since mid 2012 we're still working hard on turning around a few other vital parts of the code to "future proof" Steel Beasts, and that takes priority.

Is this some sort of Ordnance Survey "special feature"?

I've certainly not seen it on maps from various countries (US, Germany, Singapore, etc.).

Here is an Australian military map depicting part of the Singleton Range:

The only tinting I can see is the foliage in green. The contour intervals on both maps are the same.

There are additional markings for the power lines and some areas designated as cliffs, but I see no tinting per se to indicate height? The closeness of the contour lines generate their own "tinting" I guess, but that was also in the earlier image that you commented on.

Mark,

The AS NATMAP 1:100k series uses tinting and shading to indicate heights and relief. It took some getting used to, but the relief really jumps out of the page. I have a CD set of 1:100k maps covering the whole country, and they all use this technique.

Regards,

Mark,

The AS NATMAP 1:100k series uses tinting and shading to indicate heights and relief.

Regards,

Hmm, OK.

Never seen them, probably not surprising as we don't use the NATMAP series. Even the RAAF don't use them.

We (Army) tend to use 1:50k because the ground detail is reasonably important.

Edited by Gibsonm

A playable T-55 done like the T-62 or Leopard AS-1 would be perfectly fine! I don't think we really NEED 3D interiors even though I do like them.

I like the T-62. Except the gunnery system sucks.

Also perhaps either a T-55M or a T-62M. Don't think we need both but having a modernized version of an old-school com-block tank might be great for some scenarios.

I think he's referring to the option in the original Steel Beasts (1.xx) game where, by pressing the space bar, you'd get a color scale to indicate heights (fair yellow-brown) and depressions (a darker shade of brown). That worked reasonably well because the height variation of a map could not exceed 100m.

I didn't know you could do that, but it's a long time since I played 1.xx. I was actually referring to the height band tinting present on some O.S maps. IMHO it is a really useful addition, but probably of most use to low level aviators like helicopter pilots.

I didn't know you could do that, but it's a long time since I played 1.xx. I was actually referring to the height band tinting present on some O.S maps. IMHO it is a really useful addition, but probably of most use to low level aviators like helicopter pilots.

Why only low level? I think I'd be useful to Colonel Pilots too ;-)