Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Additionally to F12 I would like to have the ability to accelerate time at my own risk. So a F12 that is available even when you have spotted the enemy or vice versa.

Best regards!

Surely this could only be viable in single player, against the AI, if at all?

I can't see it being practical for you to be experiencing the mission X times faster than your Co-Op team mates or H2H opponent?

I believe unlimited acceleration is available through the testing option in the mission editor.

Well its accelerated. I don't know about "unlimited" (I mean it doesn't approach "C" or anything).

Unfortunately in testing you can also switch sides, look at parts of the map you'd normally not be able to etc. because its to "test" the scenario not "play".

I guess if you promised not to use these other features, and the mission wasn't password protected you could use the Editor.

Well its accelerated. I don't know about "unlimited" (I mean it doesn't approach "C" or anything).

Unfortunately in testing you can also switch sides, look at parts of the map you'd normally not be able to etc. because its to "test" the scenario not "play".

I guess if you promised not to use these other features, and the mission wasn't password protected you could use the Editor.

Just a question of self-disciplin

Yeah, I should've been more clear. What I meant was, acceleration can be used at any time, not that the amount of acceleration is unlimited. Basically, it's what Reini is looking for. But yes, it also comes with all of those extra "cheats", so to speak.

Thanks for your answers guys! :)

Although I am afraid that (as you all have mentioned above) the solution with the editor is somewhat less than perfect. Nonetheless I played a few scenarios via the editor and it reinforced my own view. I find it very enjoyable when I can drive my tanks into battle with 6x speed even though an enemy BRDM and a squad of my infantry are eyeballing each other 5 miles away :eek2:.

It would be nice from a command or single player perspective to have conditions in game for routes. I would like to setup a unit to move down a route, and if engaged to dismount troops. Same would apply in defense to have them load troops for indirect fire. I could also see setting troops or vehicles to move down a route, or do an action once they are in contact, or see a set number of enemy. I am sure there are many more options others would like to be able to use for their units as well.

It would be nice from a command or single player perspective to have conditions in game for routes. I would like to setup a unit to move down a route, and if engaged to dismount troops. Same would apply in defense to have them load troops for indirect fire. I could also see setting troops or vehicles to move down a route, or do an action once they are in contact, or see a set number of enemy. I am sure there are many more options others would like to be able to use for their units as well.

Maybe I'm missing the point of your post, but you can do all of that in the Mission Editor now. You can script all of Blue if you want and just sit back and watch.

Alternatively you can intervene and take over units if you want.

Lastly you can stockpile likely routes and tactics on the edge of the map (in the planning phase) and copy the route to a unit on the map (and then adjust it) as required to speed the process up.

• Members
Thanks for your answers guys! :)

Although I am afraid that (as you all have mentioned above) the solution with the editor is somewhat less than perfect. Nonetheless I played a few scenarios via the editor and it reinforced my own view. I find it very enjoyable when I can drive my tanks into battle with 6x speed even though an enemy BRDM and a squad of my infantry are eyeballing each other 5 miles away :eek2:.

The editor has a different purpose than "playing" a scenario. Forced time acceleration is permissible in the editor because typically the scenario designer wants to check whether his control logic for path embark conditions are correct or something.

When "properly" executing a scenario the highest fidelity of simulation result is desired - that is, during time acceleration the largest time step is chosen that will still deliver accurate results with respect to ballistic trajectories etc.; therefore the actual time acceleration may drop to a factor as low as 1.0 simply because you can't go any faster without compromising the validity of the simulation results.

The editor has a different purpose than "playing" a scenario. Forced time acceleration is permissible in the editor because typically the scenario designer wants to check whether his control logic for path embark conditions are correct or something.

When "properly" executing a scenario the highest fidelity of simulation result is desired - that is, during time acceleration the largest time step is chosen that will still deliver accurate results with respect to ballistic trajectories etc.; therefore the actual time acceleration may drop to a factor as low as 1.0 simply because you can't go any faster without compromising the validity of the simulation results.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was already wondering about a drop in time acceleration on some occasions. And I am sorry for abusing the editor for my superficial needs.:-D

What Marko said...the plain truth, but that still won't stop me from hankering for a bit more. Say like the ability to generate fire mission data using the M1A2's far target designating ability, or at least using it to generate generic TRPs that can then be sent to others during multi-player missions.

If this ever happens can we have it for CR2 aswell and for Warrior and Scimitar if/when BGTI is simulated in the game please ☺

Putting some sort of selectable border around IEDs or some other way of making them easier to select and deploy.

I seem to spend 5mins per IED clicking to select, then losing the selection when I try to click and drag, re clicking, zooming in and out all to get one in the right spot.

I usually give up and leave them off the map.

Its on a par with the frustration levels associated with trying to edit text boxes.

Maybe I'm missing the point of your post, but you can do all of that in the Mission Editor now. You can script all of Blue if you want and just sit back and watch.

Alternatively you can intervene and take over units if you want.

Lastly you can stockpile likely routes and tactics on the edge of the map (in the planning phase) and copy the route to a unit on the map (and then adjust it) as required to speed the process up.

I had not thought of the idea of stockpiling routes and conditions on the side of the map:c:. Thank you, and if I remember that the next time I could use that, great, but I am sure I will forget when it would make my life a lot easier. :luxhello:

To be a little more clear is, I want to in the middle of the game pick up my infantry, put them on a new route (let say due to losses by another unit, or to cover another area of the defense/offensive), and make conditions while on that route so that I can focus on another area of the map and or fighting from a single unit. :gun:

I hope that is somewhat more clear or explains it a little more.

It would be nice to be able to test a mission from the editor, but in a multi-player mode. Allowing for the game to speed up, and if there is more debugging in test than there is in regular network session.

To clarify a little more. I do not want to use the speed function to speed up a game, just for testing. Example would be when your units have to travel 2-4Km before you know they will encounter enemy, or when testing routes, or debugging routes while in multi-player.

Hope this helps.

A way to edit the mission from the test mission feature. It can take a large amount of time to fix the routes and timing of units crossing a bridge or bridges, and can really drag the process down.

Examples are fixing one or two units, then get back into the test, then find two more that need fixing, then get back in and those two now conflict with others, or they are going into the water.

It would be awesome if I could just adjust their route in the test, or some other way to cut down on the time of fixing routes that could be 50 minutes into the mission scripting or LONGER each time you have to fix something. :confused::c:.

Advice, solutions, or my wish come true always welcome. :luxhello::gun:

• Members
I seem to spend 5mins per IED clicking to select, then losing the selection when I try to click and drag, re clicking, zooming in and out all to get one in the right spot.

Don't zoom in too much, if possible. The "sensing zone" around the mouse pointer drops to near zero at the highest magnification (because we assumed that if you zoom in so far, precision is what you want). At lower zoom levels the mouse selection is more generous (at the expense of not always selecting what you want if several items are in close proximity).

Aside from that, duly. noted. We'll have to rewrite the entire GUI code for that, though. Something that needs to be done eventually, anyway.

• Members
A way to edit the mission from the test mission feature. It can take a large amount of time to fix the routes and timing of units crossing a bridge or bridges, and can really drag the process down.

Expert mission designers have two instances of Steel Beasts open. One to run the mission, one to edit it. When you find an error you pause the scenario, switch to the editor, and fix it. Repeat until you have accumulated so many changes that you need to restart the test, then switch the use of each Steel Beasts window (what used to be the editor now plays the scenario while the "play window" is used to load the latest iteration of your scenario in the mission editor).

:)

Don't zoom in too much, if possible. The "sensing zone" around the mouse pointer drops to near zero at the highest magnification (because we assumed that if you zoom in so far, precision is what you want). At lower zoom levels the mouse selection is more generous (at the expense of not always selecting what you want if several items are in close proximity).

Aside from that, duly. noted. We'll have to rewrite the entire GUI code for that, though. Something that needs to be done eventually, anyway.

Thanks.

Its just that the outline for the IED symbol seems to remain "fine" (as opposed to "broad", not "good") regardless of the zoom.

So if you zoom out its this little clump of green and if you zoom in its still a "wafer thin" line. :)

And you need to zoom in to place them properly. :)

Examples are fixing one or two units, then get back into the test, then find two more that need fixing, then get back in and those two now conflict with others, or they are going into the water.

Not saying its the only way but ...

For those sort of choke points I create an independent waypoint (say "1") then the route to cross the bridge, then another waypoint (say "2").

Test this with one unit and get it right.

Then for other units I draw their route to attach to "1" prior to the bridge and once they cross and get to "2" if they need to go a different way then I create a new route with "embark if ..." for that unit.

So the "crossing" is a common route used by all (with the same speed, formation, spacing, etc.) and the approach and departure are then customised for the individual units.

Of course if they are in a convoy staying on the road, then you can just use the one route throughout. :)