Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

I do so love your digressions! Have you thought of becoming a motivational business guru? Probably more money in that than in military simulatios. (Insert smiley for 'Genuine comment, not an ironic or sarcastic remark').

Ssnake's Motivational Lectures, Diatribes & Seminars GmBH

(SMoLeDS GmBH)

But more importantly, what would we do without SB??!!

Oh woe is I!!

:)

• Members
Have you thought of becoming a motivational business guru?

Maybe like in Dexter, Season 5.

Seriously though, I'm not sure if my remarks about scores of overly optimistic people taking unreasonable risks to create new businesses where most of them will fail are a good motivation. If at all, they should caution against that very optimism that those "business gurus" build and exploit.

What I wrote was that luck plays a much bigger role than anyone will admit. We like to see ourselves, and like to be seen as masters of our own fate. While I will subscribe that luck favors the prepared, the cautionary lesson I offered was that even the best prepared people can remain unsuccessful beyond the duration of their solvency, and that someone who is less than prepared can occasionally still succeed for the wrong reasons.

If at all, this would rather be de-motivational.

No. They use a Marder hull...thats about it...

Marder Hull.

Same chassis as the marder they just strengthened it.

Also both Vehicles use the MTU-MB 833 Ka-500 6-cylinder engine

They just upped the horse power

Have you seen the TAM 2C upgrade it has a Israeli built fire control system full day night and fire on the move capability

While I will subscribe that luck favors the prepared, the cautionary lesson I offered was that even the best prepared people can remain unsuccessful beyond the duration of their solvency, and that someone who is less than prepared can occasionally still succeed for the wrong reasons.

If at all, this would rather be de-motivational.

Very useful advice that could protect somebody who has bought into the 'You can do anything you want if you want it badly enough' from setbacks.

'It can't be done they said.

You never know until you've tried', he replied.

And so he set out to do the thing they said could not be done.

And he couldn't do it'. :)

Is the FO version different mechanically, or does it just carry an FO team?

Only difference is a changed radio setup (but is has the same antenna set up)

Instead of a MILAN laucher , it carries the TGZ90, which will be mounted on the same pintle as the MILAN would be.

And of course, Instead of Grenadiers it carries and FO team from the Arty-BN.

So, from outside you'd note no difference at all.

Inside there is just a diffent packing-plan/equipment , rest is the same

My wish list does not at this stage extend to increased varieties of MBTs and AFVs - although I qualify that by suggesting/presuming at some stage a real world military training sim/gaming sim will need to consider modelling Chinese MBTs and AFVs.

My more immediate wish list relates to equipment to be added to the existing vehicles in SB Pro PE. Another recently released military sim (not sure if I can mention a competitor's name on this forum) appears to do a great job of simulating "active protection systems" such as Russia's Arena (?), guided anti-tank munitions from UAVs and and aircraft and and even precision artillery (Excalibur (?)).

I appreciate that any of the above additions must involve a substantial programming/coding commitment. However, I note that the competitor is also a relatively small boutique software firm - and they appear to lack the Government contracts that this firm has managed to win. I hope that the dev. may be considering some/any of the above features?

• Members
(not sure if I can mention a competitor's name on this forum)

We're relaxed about that. :)

WRT your remarks, we're aware of these trends ... but we also want to "do it right", which can sometimes be a bit of a drag if the necessary information is hard to come by, or if the to be simulated, not faked events happen faster than the time resolution of your simulation allows. Not saying that the problem is insurmountable but we always have to look at a number of other factors in order to prioritize one work package over the other.

For example, the terrain engine transition is a major step, much more challenging than the introduction of the new render engine that we did in version 3.0, because it's a major design change, like replacing a 250cc two stroke engine with a 3.0 liter V6 turbodiesel - while you're driving. You also need to change the transmission, the clutch, the battery, adjust the vehicle suspension, etc. because this single design element has a myriad of dependencies that need to be solved. That binds a lot of resources.

I'm not mentioning this because I'm out for sympathy, just an explanation why sometimes seeming no-brainers take longer than might appear reasonable from the end-user's point of view.

My more immediate wish list relates to equipment to be added to the existing vehicles in SB Pro PE. Another recently released military sim (not sure if I can mention a competitor's name on this forum) appears to do a great job of simulating "active protection systems" such as Russia's Arena (?), guided anti-tank munitions from UAVs and and aircraft and and even precision artillery (Excalibur (?)).

They may have them as a feature but I suspect they may not be that accurately implemented.

e.g. It takes hours from scratch to plan an Excalibur mission. The current FASCAM is a bit of a "cheat" in that it assumes the guns are set up for it and the mission is surveyed in.

"On Call" FASCAM to anywhere on the map and have it landing in under 3 minutes, is "optimistic". :)

Hi Ssnake and Gibsonm

Thanks for your prompt feedback related to my comments.

Ssnake - what you are describing in terms of upgrades sounds great. I also fully appreciate what you are saying about simulating the matters/features that I was commenting on. I guess that denotes the difference between a training sim used by armed forces that can also be utilised as a game, and a game that does not lend itself to being a military training sim!

Gibsonm - thanks for your comments. Having never served in the armed forces, I almost always learn something new from your posts.

Regards

They may have them as a feature but I suspect they may not be that accurately implemented.

e.g. It takes hours from scratch to plan an Excalibur mission. The current FASCAM is a bit of a "cheat" in that it assumes the guns are set up for it and the mission is surveyed in.

"On Call" FASCAM to anywhere on the map and have it landing in under 3 minutes, is "optimistic". :)

...you do realize Excalibur is not a FASCAM round, right? It's a GPS-aided HE round. Setting up a mission with it takes no longer than a conventional HE fire mission, though of course if you don't have a refined target grid, you lose most of the advantages of the guidance.

But if you have a laser rangefinder/ INS-GPS target locator, you can have a round on the way with meters-class accuracy in under a minute.

...you do realize Excalibur is not a FASCAM round, right? It's a GPS-aided HE round. Setting up a mission with it takes no longer than a conventional HE fire mission, though of course if you don't have a refined target grid, you lose most of the advantages of the guidance.

But if you have a laser rangefinder/ INS-GPS target locator, you can have a round on the way with meters-class accuracy in under a minute.

Yes I'm well aware its a PGM.

The main issue with it specifically is to have in on the gun position to begin with.

I'm not a gunner but I'd suspect for every Excalibur round there will be a 1000 (maybe more?) dumb HE rounds.

So the "time" there is the time for the CSS guys to get fwd once the mission planners approve its use (or if you want to say its already there, the time to get its use approved). In addition there is getting the ROE etc approval to use it.

A "Mr Average" Bn isn't going to have a bunch of them allocated in spt to their vanilla operation.

The idea that it should be on some pull down menu for everyone to use and that you'll have a bunch of them just lying around is the bit that gets me with PGM use.

Its like "back in the day" when people would say, "we'll stop the enemy tank assault with a massed Copperhead strike" as if the Corps allocation of that PGM were allocated to some Bn that wasn't even the main effort or on the decisive terrain.

Yes I'm well aware its a PGM.

The main issue with it specifically is to have in on the gun position to begin with.

I'm not a gunner but I'd suspect for every Excalibur round there will be a 1000 (maybe more?) dumb HE rounds.

So the "time" there is the time for the CSS guys to get fwd once the mission planners approve its use (or if you want to say its already there, the time to get its use approved). In addition there is getting the ROE etc approval to use it.

A "Mr Average" Bn isn't going to have a bunch of them allocated in spt to their vanilla operation.

The idea that it should be on some pull down menu for everyone to use and that you'll have a bunch of them just lying around is the bit that gets me with PGM use.

Its like "back in the day" when people would say, "we'll stop the enemy tank assault with a massed Copperhead strike" as if the Corps allocation of that PGM were allocated to some Bn that wasn't even the main effort or on the decisive terrain.

Depends on how much cash that MoD can spill ;-)

If you can affort to skip HE/ICM and bomb your guns up with "smart-ammo"...all bets are off.

Current reality(for most forces I know) the decision of weather such round will be released lies somewhere at "X" , "XX" or even "XXX" level. So don't expect to be "II"...or even "I" and get them free house.

If the higher ups keed these round in reserve, your're right...it will take forever to get them to the line.

But, if they are allocated to you, their deployment is usually preplaned. If you call for them then...it is rather quick. One of the perks of the PzH 2000: you can choose any rounds that is in you loading bay, and the autoloader will put is in the breach within seconds.

But, if they are allocated to you, their deployment is usually preplaned. If you call for them then...it is rather quick. One of the perks of the PzH 2000: you can choose any rounds that is in you loading bay, and the autoloader will put is in the breach within seconds.

Sure.

But where this branch started (Post #3366) it was along the lines of:

I hope SB implements PGM and FASCAM like in other sims.

Now if SB implements them "properly" that's of course fine. :)

But we need scenario designers to actually reflect the RL limitations of such special natures in their scenarios.

There is no point in writing up a brief that says your side has one battery of guns and is doing some "routine" COIN task or similar.

Then in the mission it can fire HE and then 2 minutes later fire FASCAM and then have an unlimited quantity of PGM (an extreme case).

Other products treat these natures are universally available (probably because they show off nice graphics) when in reality they are limited either as a function of:

Time - mission planning, access etc or

Level of release - who approves the mission.

If we want a Corporal with a radio just dumping this stuff all over the map, then I think that's well and truely in the realm of the other product(s) - no matter how pretty it may look.

Just my view.

If esim has the resources to implement Copperhead/SMARt/BONUS and the like they should well do so. It adds to the game.

Personally I'd leave that decision up to the scenario designer.

If he wants to play a company that has 25+ "seeker" arty rounds at their disposal.

Fine for him. And I'm sure some games will be like this. and after all, in that sense...steelbeasts is a game.

I will stick with games that have a more realistic approach as I enjoy that more.

To each his own :-P

Note: During my whole "career" in a turret. At now exercise ever got even a mortar strike allocated to me.

Every request for fire support was turned down. Reason given: You can handle that, we need those rounds elsewhere. :-(

So realistic sometimes is unfun ;-)