Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

[quote name=Hedgehog

WRT the Merkava series, I think there are underlying political motivations for not including it.

Who wouldn't want to ride the chariot in to battle, Virtually anyway. LoL

My favourite variant in the 105 Armed Merkava 1. match that with the T-72m in game

It Would make for a great slugging match.

Given the next release is focusing on SBPro internals, I would greatly appreciate improved AI/logics of driving in columns.

I once attempted to move an OPFOR battalion through a secured portion of highway to do a fast flanking move and result was complete mess: AFVs kept accelerating, hitting the vehicles before them, coming to an abrupt halt (and being hit by the vehicle behind), accelerating again and "jumping" onwards in this fashin painfully slow, creating instant congestions along the way.

This was, off course, given by the fact that the "spacing" parameter only affects vehicles in the same platoon and don't seem to "see" vehicles from other platoons until there is a collision.

So it would be great if AFVs could "sense" if there's an another AFV say, within 20 or 30 meters directly in front of them and

1) adjust speed to match the "vehicle-obstacle" in the same lane in front of them smoothly, instead of "jumping"

2) keep reasonable distance between all vehicles on given marching line, not only between direct members of given AFV's platoon

Were the platoons all following the same route chain, or did each one have its own route? What speed were they set at & which order did you give them (e.g.: march, engage, etc.)?

In my experience, platoons tend to do well when they are all sent along the same route chain (i.e.: a route starting from a single waypoint) with march orders at fast or slow speed. The end waypoint of the march route can then have multiple routes leading away from it with embark conditions set to send the different platoons in different directions.

IIRC, this method sets the speed of all vehicles to the same speed as the slowest vehicle in the column.

You know what I'd love to see, and what would make infantry realy realy powerful in defence:

-Kampfstand

-Kampfstand mit Überdeckung

-Kampfstand mit Versteck/Unterstand

-Kampfstände mit Laufgräben(ggf überdeckt)

:-)

You know what I'd love to see, and what would make infantry realy realy powerful in defence:

-Kampfstand

-Kampfstand mit Überdeckung

-Kampfstand mit Versteck/Unterstand

-Kampfstände mit Laufgräben(ggf überdeckt)

:-)

Aufhoren spricht Landser Deutsch!

Du kennen Ssnake spricht nur Panzer Deutsch!

Though this probably reads arse about face.

Can we add the SpahPanzer Puma to the_List:

http://www.mtu-report.com/Service/News/German-Army-handed-keys-for-new-MTU-powered-Puma

**ALL HAIL the_List!!!**

Edited by Hedgehog

Also you can set the routes up with "embark if ..." so a following unit wont start on a route until a predecessor has cleared the road.

My wish is for options such as the one mentioned above - which AFAIK are only available in the Mission Builder - could be made available during 'live' missions.

If we ever going to get wildlife into SB, ...

Oh YES, that would be REALLY fun !

From rabbits to ... whales,

they're all welcome in the SB-world.

So are trains.

(no complex AI required for animals for starters ... for 15 years we're having tanks without visible tankcommanders,

so we can deal with brainless cow's that e.g. are not frightened by arty, OK ?)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=7954&highlight=animal

;-)

Meant that one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

The "great" Emu-war :-P

For your idea SB would have to model horses and riding too.

I wonder what would've happened if they had taken a Vickers HMG?

I guess it would have been a decisive victory, rather than a minor one.

And er, Tac-197?

If you're ever called up to fight the 2nd Great Emu War, take a .50"

Nothing like a bit of Bushwhacking at the Govt's expense.

:)

Lt DeFault: I tried both having all the platoons embark the same single route and giving them independent routes over the same road; with normal or fast speed, march tactics and column formation, they kept crashing into each other (it might have been connected to having Russian style mixed IFV/tank companies, since BMP-2 is slower than T-90.) In the end, I resorted to using conditions with timers, so each platoon waited two more minutes before embarking, but this stretched the whole convoy horribly and made it a management nightmare.

I tried both having all the platoons embark the same single route and giving them independent routes over the same road; with normal or fast speed, march tactics and column formation, they kept crashing into each other (it might have been connected to having Russian style mixed IFV/tank companies, since BMP-2 is slower than T-90.) In the end, I resorted to using conditions with timers, so each platoon waited two more minutes before embarking, but this stretched the whole convoy horribly and made it a management nightmare.

Hmmm...interesting.

Lt DeFault: I tried both having all the platoons embark the same single route and giving them independent routes over the same road; with normal or fast speed, march tactics and column formation, they kept crashing into each other (it might have been connected to having Russian style mixed IFV/tank companies, since BMP-2 is slower than T-90.) In the end, I resorted to using conditions with timers, so each platoon waited two more minutes before embarking, but this stretched the whole convoy horribly and made it a management nightmare.

If you put all units in March orders at Slow speed, they will move at a uniform speed (approximately 20 km/hour).

Note to eSim: it would be nice if units in March/Normal speed would also move at a uniform rate, say 30 km/hour.

If you put all units in March orders at Slow speed, they will move at a uniform speed (approximately 20 km/hour).

Note to eSim: it would be nice if units in March/Normal speed would also move at a uniform rate, say 30 km/hour.

They should do, and if you use top speed they should move around 50km/h

They should do, and if you use top speed they should move around 50km/h

I should clarify...

For cross-country movement (even on the completely flat default terrain in the editor), it doesn't work consistently at anything but slow speed. It seems that vehicles are grouped into classes that move at different Fast speeds (for example, T-80's, M1A0, and M2A2 will move at the same speeds as each other; BMP1/2, M113A1, and Unimog will move at the same speed as each other, but a slower speed than the T-80, etc. group.

My recollection was that it did not even work at anything but Slow speed even on roads, but having just tested it, it now appears to work on roads at least at Fast speed (not sure about Top speed). Perhaps they fixed it in a recent update?