Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Well you can make different skins for different nationalities.

You can put an M1 with one text in the US folder. Then put an other one in, lets say the UK folder and you can have 2 Versions.

You just can't play them in the same game on the same party...

Yes hence my comments about "sides". :)

UK = one side with say "All the Way" on it.

US = another side with say "Paci-FIST" on it.

But you can't have two US tanks in the same platoon, one with "All the Way" and the other with "Paci-FIST".

Yes hence my comments about "sides". :)

UK = one side with say "All the Way" on it.

US = another side with say "Paci-FIST" on it.

But you can't have two US tanks in the same platoon, one with "All the Way" and the other with "Paci-FIST".

Look like I didn't read your comment with the brains switched on...

Never thought I would add one to this list or my personal wish list

But a predator type drone with hellfire /ATGM missile firing capability could be a game changer. the UAV already in game can be very effective at marking ARTY targets.

Could you imagine a near silent killer overhead picking off high priority targets.

article-0-01833C3D00000578-11_638x502.jp

article-0-01833C3D00000578-11_638x502.jp

Never thought I would add one to this list or my personal wish list

But a predator type drone with hellfire /ATGM missile firing capability could be a game changer. the UAV already in game can be very effective at marking ARTY targets.

Could you imagine a near silent killer overhead picking off high priority targets.

But then I want functioning radar, Air-defence and Electronic warfare units first :-P

The ability to make a certain "side" subservient to another once the mission starts.

So that, for example:

A mission includes sides Blue, Red, and Green.

Blue and Green are Allies, and Green is subservient to Blue.

In single player the Blue player will have control over Green units as if they are Blue units.

In multiplayer, the Blue player will have control over any Green units not controlled by a human player on Green side.

This allows for missions where one "side" has infantry/vehicles of the same type in different camouflage. Example: US and Australian M1's in the same mission.

A few more requests...

1. An M900 APFSDS round for 105mm tanks, even if it is little more than a guesstimate about its true performance. In prior versions I felt like the M833 was underperforming in the sim and DM63 PPTFS was too good to believe. Now M833 penetrates more and DM63 penetrates less. The old DM63 was good enough that I happily used it as an M900 substitute. So again, I'd love a "M900" even if it's a rough guess.

2. A more modern OPFOR tank. Doesn't necessarily need to be a faithful recreation of a Soviet tank as long as it LOOKS like one to blue players. Give it optional Kontakt 1/5 and optional thermals on the GPS, selected the way an OHWS is on some vehicles. The exterior could look like the T80, use the T72 interior so it still feels Soviet. Something that could be used by red players to mimic the performance/capabilities of a T72B1/T80U/T90 if not being an actual T tank. Call it "T-OPFOR" in the game.

3. A Leopard1 with passive IR night vision. Modify the AS1 since we already use it as a 1A4 or 1A3 stand in by adding a passive IR view to the GPS or GAS.

Does the paladin come with optic for direct fire now? Last time i saw US gunners they where aiming via a look through the barrel :-D

Paladin has, and every other M109 before Paladin, had a panoramic sight. (Only M109A6 and up are "Paladin", by the by. The name came with the GPS/INS aiming system)

How on earth would you think a howitzer would aim for indirect fire, if it had neither an INS/GPS, nor a sight to aim at the aiming stakes? Direct fire with the Paladin is easy: set the deflection on the pano sight to 3200 (IE, straight forward boresighted), set gun superelevation based off the chart on the direct fire range data plate conveniently placed at the gunner's position, and Robert is your father's brother.

The only time I've heard of US artillery aiming down the barrel for direct fire was the M12 howitzer motor carriage in Aachen and against fortifications of the westwall. The only reason they aimed through the bore with it was because it had an unarmored superstructure: if you got up on top of the vehicle at the gunner's position to aim it, you would be exposed to gunfire from the guys you're shooting it at. However, if you stand on the ground behind the vehicle, you can look through the breech and see if it's aligned. Yell directions to the driver (the only protected position) to get the deflection aligned, and let 'em have it. Only effective at quite close ranges.

Well , the use of the panoramic sight as direct aim never came to my mind. So probably the guy where just "pulling my finger" when i asked for direct fire optics.

The M109 GE had a similar sight system as the Leopard 1 and the gunners had a firing table with aimpoints for 6-bag and 8-bag and a class-2 (??) round.

The PzH 2000 has an LRF and new sigthing system for direct fire

Sometimes even slow is too fast. Any possibility of get a speed setting for creeping along?

If you jump into the driver's position, you can creep at a snail's pace. Granted, this won't work for the AI, but it should work for a whole platoon when in the driver's position of the lead vehicle.

• Members

The M900 wasn't added because

a) it was never actually adopted by anyone

b) it could only be fired from the M1 because of the excessive recoil loads

c) it wasn't even developed to completion (there was a low rate production from 1989 ... 1995)

d) I haven't found proper diagrams to suggest suitable parameters for the Odermatt caculator to allow for a performance estimate ... and I didn't bother looking really intensely for it because of reasons a-c.

Note that by the time the M900 might arguably have come close to completion in its development the US Army no longer had 105mm gun equipped M1s in their inventory. There were still some in the national guards but even for them the upgrade to A1 or higher was already scheduled.

The M900 wasn't added because

a) it was never actually adopted by anyone

b) it could only be fired from the M1 because of the excessive recoil loads

c) it wasn't even developed to completion (there was a low rate production from 1989 ... 1995)

d) I haven't found proper diagrams to suggest suitable parameters for the Odermatt caculator to allow for a performance estimate ... and I didn't bother looking really intensely for it because of reasons a-c.

Note that by the time the M900 might arguably have come close to completion in its development the US Army no longer had 105mm gun equipped M1s in their inventory. There were still some in the national guards but even for them the upgrade to A1 or higher was already scheduled.

Are you sure you're thinking about the right round?

I understand that M900 was developed to completion, and is available for use on the Stryker MGS?

The M900 was designed to be used in the original M1 Abrams tank, as a replacement round for the M833. It was brought into service in 1989, and cannot be used in earlier M60 series tanks because of the force of the recoil.

When the later versions of the Abrams were fitted with a 120mm gun, the US was left with significant stocks of the M900. The introduction of the M1128 Stryker Mobile Gun System in 2005 provided a use for this ammunition. As such, the M900 is not thought to be currently in production, although there have been reports that the US Army's Armament, Research and Development Engineering Centre (ARDEC) and the Armtec Defence Products were developing a combustible cartridge case for the M900.

http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/en/m900-105mm-apfsds-t-round

Okay, so once that we add the Stryker MGS we'll also add the M900 (provided we get enough data for a reasonable estimate).

Point of order:

You don't need to add the Stryker MGS. We already have the M1 and IPM1 which are capable of firing the M900. We already have the Centauro, which can be used as an Ersatz Stryker.

Part of the joy of a simulation is that we can ask ourselves "What if". We can put IPM1s up against 1990's T-Tanks and see how it turns out. What if the IPM1s that deployed during the Gulf War got into the thick of the action instead of the /HAs.

As for reasonable estimates, I'll get on google and see what I find and we can talk about it and decide if it's reasonable or not. I don't think that anybody here is asking for you to be perfect, I'm certainly not. When the APFSDS rounds were tweaked, sometimes by quite a bit, in the last update, I don't think anyone got upset and foamed at the mouth about it.

There are a few rounds in the sim right now that I find questionable. Take for example the Centauro, which can use "HEAT ME456A1"... 600mm RHAe penetration! Pretty impressive for a 105mm projectile, when the 120mm DM12/M830 also hits 600mm RHAe, and nothing about it on google. At this point all I can do is take a leap of faith until more info comes out, but if it turns out to be an "oops" I don't see myself getting upset about it. Maybe we just got so much better at making HEAT warheads? Steel Beasts is a whole bunch of guesses, best estimates, and so on, isn't it? It's not like anybody let you take a set of calipers to the DU inserts on an M1A2 SEP.

Frankly, I expect that M900 is pretty much the 'end of the line' for 105mm APFSDS development and that those that know about it are going to want to be pretty secretive about it so as to not reveal the limits of what something like the MGS can do against armor, but I'll see what I can find.

One for the editor:

"this unit is "X" function, right now you can only click your way to the unit you want, that quickly becomes ALLOT of clicks, and with dismounts being scripted it becomes ridiculous amounts of click just to get to one unit.

So my wish is that I can type in the box for example "B-2-5" and B-2/5 will show up. That would make advanced scripting soooo much easier.

One for the editor:

"this unit is "X" function, right now you can only click your way to the unit you want, that quickly becomes ALLOT of clicks, and with dismounts being scripted it becomes ridiculous amounts of click just to get to one unit.

So my wish is that I can type in the box for example "B-2-5" and B-2/5 will show up. That would make advanced scripting soooo much easier.

You can also use the mouse scroll wheel to cycle through. Plus, if you hold down the shift key, it cycles through the list in bigger chunks. But your "autocomplete" method would be nice, too.

how about the ability to issue orders enmasse by lassoing a group of units and having them move together.

in 3xx.0 it would be nice if all the vechs were all up to date model wise visually.

how about a drop box on TS where sce designers could drop off sce and others could test it and add constructive criticism and advice.(not really SB CWL,but didnt want to open new thread)

and of course,seeing crews in all vechs would be nice,instead of unmanned ghost vechs roaming around,lol.

AAA for the US,Vulcan,Brad w/ Stinger.ect.

Edited by mpow66m