Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Since we now have TrackIR support and as time passes by CPUs and hardware in general is more and more powerful, and new graphic engine is in plans for not so far future... Im thinking loud:

What are the chances to get CITV for M1A2 or for Leo 2 series working ( showing real situation , not just frozen last frame) when we look at it from other positions ( Vision blocks view, Tc eye view with head slightly out - safe position, etc.)?

What are the chances to get CITV for M1A2 or for Leo 2 series working ( showing real situation , not just frozen last frame) when we look at it from other positions ( Vision blocks view, Tc eye view with head slightly out - safe position, etc.)?

Unless I mis-understand you, they aren't "frozen last frame".

The CITV shows the current situation, with the countryside moving by as do the vision blocks, etc.

A repeat request. Well, you never know...

Scimitar and Warrior azimuth and elevation controls to be changed to allow joystick/mouse control. I know that in RL these vehicles have manual rotary controls for these functions that are a bit slower than the control handle and hydraulic power in a tank, but he use of the arrow keys makes things unrealistically difficult IMHO.

Do you ever use manual control Handles in a Tank ?

Assuming you mean 'Have you ever used manual control handles in a tank? the answer is no. But I do know people who have and their opinion is hat if traversing and elevating the gun in a Warrior was as hard as using the arrow keys in Steel Beasts, no one would ever be able to hit anything.

The BTR-80 and BRDM-2 both have manually traversed turrets, but with them you don't have to tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap to aim.

There is a difference between a 20+ tonn turret where handcranks have been squezed in as an emergeny turret-control, and a light 1-men-turret that was purely designed for Handcrancing and does so quiete smoothly.

I hate the arrow-tapping too, but I have to admit for most of the cases...it seems legit.

The BTR-80 and BRDM-2 both have manually traversed turrets, but with them you don't have to tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap to aim.

Very good point Rotar. (Actually I didn't know that the BTR-80 and BRDM had manually traversed turrets). So the question is therefore why are the Warrior and Scimitar discriminated against?

Very good point Rotar. (Actually I didn't know that the BTR-80 and BRDM had manually traversed turrets). So the question is therefore why are the Warrior and Scimitar discriminated against?

As said before: much lighter 1-man-turret for the BRDM.

Not perfect and a debatable solution, but a legit one in I think.

There is a difference between a 20+ tonn turret where handcranks have been squezed in as an emergeny turret-control, and a light 1-men-turret that was purely designed for Handcrancing and does so quiete smoothly.

I hate the arrow-tapping too, but I have to admit for most of the cases...it seems legit.

Not arguing that arrow keys aren't appropriate for emergency control of a turret that is normally power operated, but the Warrior and Scimitar were designed with hand wheels for traverse and elevation, and I'm told that the system works quite quickly and smoothly.

Not near my PC at present but pretty sure that with Warrior you can do coarse traverse with "power" (click) to the left/right of the sight picture, and fine correction with the keyboard.

As for Scimitar well it was (when I was on one, may have changed in newer models) manual traverse all the way through 6400 mil.

Admittedly the traverse gear box had two speeds (gearing) then.

You can of course "cheat" and align the vehicle to get "on" and then revert to manual for the fine part of the adjustment.

• Members

In the end it's a value judgment case. The hand crank controllers from AFV Sim make it a very interesting and engaging experience (not that I'm trying to sell them to you), and then it's certainly entirely different from the arrow key tapping.

I don't see it as a "discrimination" - at least it's certainly not our intent to make the Warrior "look bad". Pretty much ALL hand cranks in SB Pro are simulated by arrow tapping.

The only exceptions are the BRDM and BTR turrets because the turrets are light and so is the armament, at least comparatively speaking. So you could accuse us of positive discrimination in the case of these two Russian vehicles. Then again, they are otherwise pretty crappy, which may explain the lack of complaints about their preferential treatment.

In the end it's a value judgment case. The hand crank controllers from AFV Sim make it a very interesting and engaging experience (not that I'm trying to sell them to you), and then it's certainly entirely different from the arrow key tapping.

I don't see it as a "discrimination" - at least it's certainly not our intent to make the Warrior "look bad". Pretty much ALL hand cranks in SB Pro are simulated by arrow tapping.

The only exceptions are the BRDM and BTR turrets because the turrets are light and so is the armament, at least comparatively speaking. So you could accuse us of positive discrimination in the case of these two Russian vehicles. Then again, they are otherwise pretty crappy, which may explain the lack of complaints about their preferential treatment.

Thanks for the reply. As you accept that the arrow key tapping is inferior and less realistic compared with the use of AFV Sim's crank controllers (and they are not a viable option for the majority of us due to cost), perhaps a sensible compromise would be to enable joystick/mouse control of the gun, but with a reduced rate of traverse and elevation? At present, the drawbacks of key tapping mean that the only reasonable way of employing the Warrior and Scimitarin SB are as 'non playable' vehicles - leaving the AI gunner to do the shooting. Trying to do it yourself in a combat situation (and I HAVE tried) is a sure-fire (sorry) recipe for getting killed.

• Members
As you accept that the arrow key tapping is inferior and less realistic compared with the use of AFV Sim's crank controllers ...,

Your suggested alternative would still be "inferior and less realistic", just "more comfortable". That's not a compelling case that you're making, seeking a "compromise" that is 100% your preferred solution and 0% of the current. ;)

We'll certainly consider this, but if convenience alone is the deciding factor we could just as well abandon the arrow key tapping altogether.

And before you ask, I perfectly KNOW that this is annoying as hell; it's designed to be annoying, simply because it is in real life as well. The point is, per our assessment the Warrior is unsuitable for a high threat/high intensity combat environment. I mean, seriously: Hand cranks and three-round magazines, and an engagement procedure that prescribes to move the gun away from target both in azimuth and elevation by half a hand crank turn and then to reacquire the target for every. single. shot.

Maybe your expectations about the Warrior's performance are off? What were the kind of scenarios in which you tried it - against light infantry with some RPG monkeys in the mix (the Warrior was successful in that kind of environment in Iraq), or against a mechanized force that rushed your position in numbers (the Warrior was never confronted with such a situation in real life)?

I'm genuinely interested here, not trying to brush it off as irrelevant so I don't have to leave my comfort zone. But maybe we simply have a different picture of its real-life strengths and limitations in mind, and the real question is whether giving it full joystick support wouldn't be an unfair elimination of a real-life disadvantage.

Here's a compromise:

The "New" Warrior.

A "Basic" (TIS, LRF, Stab, Power traverse) Ulan turret on the Warrior Hull.

Weapon system....

Keep the 30mm? (A compromise already)

Or fit a modified 40mm Bofors? (I have a feeling the current ammo would be a bit too overpowered)

Tjay gets his power traverse.

The powers that be have another tool with which to peddle SB Pro to the RAC.

One would need to expressly state that its a compromise until details of the gun/turret are publicly known.

:)

Here's a compromise:

The "New" Warrior.

A "Basic" (TIS, LRF, Stab, Power traverse) Ulan turret on the Warrior Hull.

Weapon system....

Keep the 30mm? (A compromise already)

Or fit a modified 40mm Bofors? (I have a feeling the current ammo would be a bit too overpowered)

Tjay gets his power traverse.

The powers that be have another tool with which to peddle SB Pro to the RAC.

One would need to expressly state that its a compromise until details of the gun/turret are publicly known.

:)

Or just ask somebody to reskin the ulan in a British army camouflage Patten and call it the upgraded version.