Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

The closest analogy I can think of is waving the mouse as it corresponds to entire hand movements.

For example, hold down left mouse button + circular motions (clockwise and counter-clockwise) with the mouse for azimuth traverse.

Hold down right mouse button + circular motions (clockwise and counter-clockwise) for elevation.

Because there is not the same load carried on the mouse as a several ton turret, the response should be delayed between mouse control inputs and the effect, otherwise the turret can be moved too quickly.

The closest analogy I can think of is waving the mouse as it corresponds to entire hand movements.

For example, hold down left mouse button + circular motions (clockwise and counter-clockwise) with the mouse for azimuth traverse.

Hold down right mouse button + circular motions (clockwise and counter-clockwise) for elevation.

Because there is not the same load carried on the mouse as a several ton turret, the response should be delayed between mouse control inputs and the effect, otherwise the turret can be moved too quickly.

Not that it will ever happen.

But You could use the xbox 1 connect

The motion sensors on same are very good.

But the reality is you would be dead by the time the turret traversed.

• Members

I thought about that but you wouldn't be able to change both az and el would you (something that's possible IRL)

What i meant it: if you press up and left arrow at the same time, the turret will move only in one plain...horizontaly or verticaly, not both. You have to alternate between up/left to move that way...

Yep. In RL the gunner can traverse and elevate at the same time due to the separate hand wheels - and I've been assured by two people who have done it, that you soon learn how to bring the cursor on target quickly (within the basic limitations of the hand crank system) and accurately. So, once again, we have an example of how the current SB system makes things harder than they actually are in real life. So hard, IMHO, that it is futile trying to manually gun the Scmitar and Warrior. (Don't know about others that use the same method; I haven't tried them). Seems a shame that having gone to the trouble of making such vehicles playable, the aiming system lets them down so badly. Sorry to sound like a broken record but I just don't understand the reluctance to get this fixed - especially considering eSim's commendable dedication to RL realism in all other aspects.

Hmm that works here (have to tap quickly..). But OK you should probably tell me which vehicle you're in before we debate this further. I'm in an as-of-yet-unplayable one, so not allowed to tell ;)

Well, try the Scimitar or Warrior for starters.

• Members

I did and I can move it just fine (at least on the Scimitar). The problem actually seems to be to get the turret to stop again (and in time). I guess IRL you'd just brake using the cranks as well but that actually doesn't seem to work too good right now. So I'm wondering if just increasing the turret deceleration values would do the trick.

Yep. In RL the gunner can traverse and elevate at the same time due to the separate hand wheels - and I've been assured by two people who have done it, that you soon learn how to bring the cursor on target quickly (within the basic limitations of the hand crank system) and accurately.

Yes in “RL in a vehicle” the Gunner can do it, but he is moving the sight graticule onto the target.

But reference to a “cursor” implies you mean in “RL in the game using the 3rd party hand cranks”.

Just trying to clarify your comments. :)

But I think it would feel more natural even with the same limitation, or else, combine arrow keys + mouse- mouse to crank the wheel, depress arrow key(s) for direction, including diagonal movement.

IMHO simultaneously holding down the up/down and left/right arrow keys to get a realistic rate of elevation and traverse determined by the software would be a good solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know, or recall, if these have been mentioned, but here are two suggestions:

a. the ability of a tank to recover other vehicles using tow cables. Helps if you can get an immobile but still living tank at least under a bit of cover; and

b. the ability for one tank to transfer ammunition to another tank. Allows handing off ammunition from a disable tank to a runner, or to cross-load and balance out the ammunition loads among troop vehicles.

I think my requests are going to be more for the not so hardcore simulator types.

1. Make a vehicle/model viewer inside the game. That way it makes it easier to see new skins(A way to refresh as well, so we can test updates on the skin), the model(so we can have our tank hard ons :c: ) and their statistics, specifications and even the armor,

2. Make a way to find servers, like a server browser, that should facilitate what I will ask next. Especially, because it makes it easier for people like me who doesn't do multiplayer that often because I don't know anyone and I'm a bit antisocial. :clin:

3. Make it so that the mission used on the server, stays there and people can complete the objectives, for example when capturing and destroying a point stay online, on the server until finished. That way, anyone joining in can start from where they left off before. Probably a ticket system as well, or what we could see on the old Novalogic simulators like the F-16, MiG-29 and F-22 IBS and/or DCS:World and Battlefield series.

4. Deformable terrain

5. Dynamic campaign (bwahaha sorry, had to write it!)

AKA ZERO

My 2 cents worth (probably been mentioned by someone else a million times)

1) Visually modeled vehicle crews

2) Infantry using grenades and hand to hand combat

3) Make the Scimitar turret operate like a powered turret, but slowly, to represent it being hand operated

:)

Also, i like the ideas of vehicles being able to tow other vehicles, and transferring ammo

AKA ZERO

My 2 cents worth (probably been mentioned by someone else a million times)

1) Visually modeled vehicle crews

2) Infantry using grenades and hand to hand combat

3) Make the Scimitar turret operate like a powered turret, but slowly, to represent it being hand operated

:)

Also, i like the ideas of vehicles being able to tow other vehicles, and transferring ammo

I am new but can agree with everything here but would suggest that the movement of inf could be increased and that their movement in and around building becomes much more fluent that way we can actually use them to clear towns etc without haveing all the control problems like we do right now.

at 3: its so bad that when me and a friend make scenarios we have begun to substitute warriors and scimitars with other IFV / Recon vehicles i don't think that is what the reality guys want to achieve but then again i might be wrong its happened before and will happen again :bigsmile:

I fully agree with the need to simulate the hand cranking (Manual nature of those UK turrets) but i think the implementation is bad (I have been told this has been talked about before so sorry if i offend anybody) and whats further its been in use for several generations of wars in real life and they haven't fixed it yet there, so it can't be that bad or they haven't tried any better so they don't know they need to fix it yet :luxhello: