Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

20 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

What I'd like to request is that the next version of Pro PE have a "second monitor" view built into the program to display some items in the tank that the human crew could normally see easily, but interrupt things for the player.

Well I'm not going to ask for 800 additional screens and graphics cards, so every Army box has a 2nd monitor and lose the ability to use Laptops in deployable kits.

Hope its optional, rather than compulsory. :)

Just now, Azure Lion said:

Just want to thank you again for your continued posting of your experiences at the Polish Armed Forces Day!

No problem, stay tuned, there will be more videos for sure, maybe even with me inside M1A2SEPv2 showing one of my buddies all the stuff. :P

But not certain if this video will be posted, gonna see if it will end on YT.

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Well I'm not going to ask for 800 additional screens and graphics cards, so every Army box has a 2nd monitor and lose the ability to use Laptops in deployable kits.

Hope its optional, rather than compulsory. :)

Optional is exactly what I'm going for.

What I'm suggesting is that certain elements of the 3D interior be duplicated as a 2D element that can be optionally displayed on the second monitor, particularly things in the interior that players and/or real crew would both want to occasionally flash a brief glance at, and things that they could briefly glance at without having to put their head down on the sights.

For example, have secondary screens set up like these pictures.  The M1 gunner might want to also show his selector switches and control panel on a second monitor to his right, if he has one, so that when he's in the GPS view he can see these switches without looking away from the GPS screen, and if he has a touch screen monitor for his second screen he can interact with the control panel over there, as if he were looking to his right in the real tank.

The M60 tank commander might want to see the thermal output, as if he were glancing away from the LRF scope to see that briefly, and the LRF control panel.  And again on a touch screen monitor the player might be able to stay in the LRF scope view on the main monitor, and use his secondary touch screen monitor to "push" the reset button.

Perhaps the Leopard 2A5 would display the TIM panel's screen on the left, and the Kommandantenanzeigegerät on the right side.  Now, I just want to point out that these may not always be visible.  For example if the human TC hits his "Q" key and stands all the way up out of the turret at maximum height/exposure, maybe the second monitor simply fades out to black because he can't see the TIM panel, Kommandantenanzeigegerät, TTS extension, or LRF display from all the way up there.

I'm hoping SSnake could implement this without requiring any extra graphics cards and hopefully without needing too much more processing power.

M1 Gunner 2nd Screen.jpg

M60A3 2nd Screen.jpg

Edited by Maj.Hans

1 hour ago, Maj.Hans said:

What I'm suggesting is that certain elements of the 3D interior be duplicated as a 2D element that can be optionally displayed on the second monitor

This would be extraordinarily invaluable. Admittedly I am still getting used to the UI & key commands but being able to glance at a 2nd monitor would be tremendous time saver. 

2 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

What I'm suggesting is that certain elements of the 3D interior be duplicated as a 2D element that can be optionally displayed on the second monitor, particularly things in the interior that players and/or real crew would both want to occasionally flash a brief glance at, and things that they could briefly glance at without having to put their head down on the sights.

This is what the 3D interior is all about, though, isn't it? Invest a few bucks in TrackIR. Then you can remove your eye from the sights and glance at the control panels as needed ... just like a regular human being.

Don't forget to do the "check for game updates" thing first.

Reprogram your TrackIR hotkeys, because the defaults are already used by SB. Then select Track IR in the headtracking dropdown on the Controls setup and you're good to go.

It admittedly has limited use in an armor sim. But that one use -- looking around the 3D environment like a human would -- is a big plus in my book.

4.0 changed the commander's view so that it centers relative to the hull rather than the turret. I hate that, and preferred my view to follow the turret like it does in real life. But I guess some folks were having trouble holding onto their cookies.

Enjoy.

TrackIR is nice, once used to it you sort of miss it in some games but lucky enough SB supports it.  You have the same crowded feel inside a Su25T with its heavy crossbeams and big old CTR screen so your not alone with this issue inside a tank.  I know there´s 3rd party apps for android that link to your flight sim (FSX) and show on screen you´r FMS module, or other flight components via tablet.  There other ways for PC´s too, be it hard or soft like Opencockpits for project sims that use Arduino boards for the soft/hard sync.  This is how they use real world hardware.

Don´t know if you would really need it in SB as a regular simmer, unless you want to build a tank office, which would be nice too.  It would not be that hard as you don´t have that much in there,  You could use VR mounts and use a tablet to view gun sights for example, or build your own VR with a PVC cilinder as in a periscope.  Yeah we can dream a bit too, but...

Care!

Ohh almost forgot! Bigger text on menus, I have to switch glasses when I play SB.

Edited by Red2112

13 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Have you tried Duke's sound mod - your ears will be ringing for quite a while after the game. :)

Thanks Gibsonm! I did try that one O.o xD but the hit sound I was searching was not the "inthit" one for the big rounds and missiles, the one is for "small fire" from M2 .50 cal. Please do you know which .wav is that one? Maybe the internal hit sound for that weapons is not simulated and you only hear the ricochets from outside cockpit. 

I also hate my view being stuck with hull facing, rather then turret - in F1 view it can cause weird situations sometimes aside from being unrealistic and ruining my situational awareness.. Can we  have this optional instead of mandatory please? Driving through the brush or forest or rocks where hull is moving rapidly left and right and left and right while AI driver tries to evade obstacles makes you virtually blind because you cant look in 1 direction as you would be able normally in real vehicle.

Edited by BigBadVuk

While watching some raw footage from Donbass area ( Ukraina )  i noticed few BTRs and BMPs having added on front and along sides ( first 1/3 of vehicle ) a cage extremely similar to what Striker in most variants already have:

K1vto1E.jpg

Just wondering what are the chances to have that as optional equipment on those 2 vehicles. And i also wonders could Sb simulate such armor enhancements realistically enough when it comes to HEAT rounds, obviously any kinetic round wont be affected by this.

• Members
4 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

Just wondering what are the chances to have that as optional equipment on those 2 vehicles.

The only answer I could give ("between zero and one") would sound as if I was mocking you. But it is ture: It's armor related, so we're interested simply based on principle, but I can't say how soon.

And i also wonders could Sb simulate such armor enhancements realistically enough when it comes to HEAT rounds, obviously any kinetic round wont be affected by this.

Yes. Yes, Steel Beasts could.

4 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

While watching some raw footage from Donbass area ( Ukraina )  i noticed few BTRs and BMPs having added on front and along sides ( first 1/3 of vehicle ) a cage extremely similar to what Striker in most variants already have:

K1vto1E.jpg

Just wondering what are the chances to have that as optional equipment on those 2 vehicles. And i also wonders could Sb simulate such armor enhancements realistically enough when it comes to HEAT rounds, obviously any kinetic round wont be affected by this.

Like this:

SS_18_34_12.jpg

SS_18_34_19.jpg

• Members

...yeah, because with countless exception rules and whatnot it became utterly unpredictable for most users when infantry would automatically dismount or not. So you now must script it. Do it at a waypoint, and they will follow the subsequent routes. Do it on a route, and they get left behind. That's pretty predictable behavior.