Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

It would be nice to have an order of battle table display, in addition to the existing "terrain, ..., briefing" displays. In the mission editor, the OOB table should include the options to change vehicle type, camouflage, subordination, etc. I think it might be more convenient than doing it all on the map.  

One subject I struggle with in SB is keeping track of my leaders vehicle - especially in company of several other similar vehicles.  I know there is a scenario mechanism to click<SHIFT> on a friendly vehicle and it shows the call-sign, but this is not always active.  I assume in reality this is aided by Tactical Signs and stowage arrangements (visual clues).

Could this not be modified to automatically display the friendly vehicle call-sign by just moving the mouse cursor over the friendly vehicle in F8 view ?  Or perhaps just activate this for members of your own platoon.

54 minutes ago, 2-pies said:

One subject I struggle with in SB is keeping track of my leaders vehicle - especially in company of several other similar vehicles.  I know there is a scenario mechanism to click<SHIFT> on a friendly vehicle and it shows the call-sign, but this is not always active.  I assume in reality this is aided by Tactical Signs and stowage arrangements (visual clues).

Could this not be modified to automatically display the friendly vehicle call-sign by just moving the mouse cursor over the friendly vehicle in F8 view ?  Or perhaps just activate this for members of your own platoon.

Yes, go to the editor , rename the veh CO, done

Not strictly speaking content, but (assuming it hasn't already been done) I would like the helicopters in the sim to have a built in terrain and peer avoidance capability to avoid some of the scenarios highlighted in GibsonM's excellent "Heliborne insertion" tutorial.

Also separate fuel and ammunition replenishment vehicles for armies where these two types of consumable are not both delivered on the same platform.

Assault Breacher Vehicle - M1 variant now in use with both US Army and USMC.

Edited by ChrisWerb

1 hour ago, ChrisWerb said:

Also separate fuel and ammunition replenishment vehicles for armies where these two types of consumable are not both delivered on the same platform.

We've had that for a long time now.

Fuel trucks bring you fuel.  Supply trucks bring you ammo.  Ambulance vehicles bring you replacement crew.  Repair vehicles bring you spare parts.

25 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

We've had that for a long time now.

Fuel trucks bring you fuel.  Supply trucks bring you ammo.  Ambulance vehicles bring you replacement crew.  Repair vehicles bring you spare parts.

Sorry about that! I only got the full dongle licence yesterday along with the new PC necessary to run it which I have yet to unbox. I have only watched videos and read tutorials and other supporting material so far. In the videos all I have seen are URAL and what look like MAN SX/HX cargo variants (probably because you'll need ammunition a lot more frequently than fuel in the scenarios)..

Edited by ChrisWerb

I keep thinking about the Red Tide 1985 campaign and how realistic the infantry looked accompanying the BMPs forwards. If I remember when this was last discussed it was explained that these infantry were sprites and that, with the new realistically modelled infantry, the AI has changed, meaning that infantry is capable of more realistic behaviours and much more direct human control, but at the cost of not having a relationship to the continued movement of the vehicle from which they disembarked. GibsonM pointed out (and I am heavily paraphrasing him from memory here)  that the more options are provided to have infantry controlled to do other things realistically the more human input is needed. This increases the logistical burden/cost and severely detracts from the value of SB as an armour training aid.

Where I am going with this would it be possible to reinstate sprite infantry as a scenario designer selectable option so you could run gunnery and tactical drill simulations where the enemy infantry were essentially targets at the expense of the ability to micro manage individual soldiers and do fancy things with them?

Edited by ChrisWerb
Readability enhancement.

• Members

No. The sprites are just the visual symptom of the underlying changes that are rather widespread. We cannot undo the work that we did on the whole infantry complex over the last three or four years to maintain two parallel parts of infantry code. What we can do is to gradually simplify things again over time, once that all the necessary bits and bieces are in place.

10 hours ago, TSe419E said:

I would like the ability to make a nine-vehicle cavalry platoon like the ones I served in.

I would assume you already know this but some may not.

You can create a six vehicle platoon in the mission editor divide the unit replace two or more vehicle types then attach them again.

updated statistics on the wiki page regarding the overview of armor.

I know some tanks armor values arent known, becasue they are classfied and therefore are estitmates, but  when values are known from historical sources on non classified armor, they can be updated, because looking at some i can tell some are off.

Edited by Kev2go

15 hours ago, Kev2go said:

updated statistics on the wiki page regarding the overview of armor.

I know some tanks armor values arent known, becasue they are classfied and therefore are estitmates, but  when values are known from historical sources on non classified armor, they can be updated, because looking at some i can tell some are off.

Feel free to login to the wiki using your registered user name (not your forum handle) and fix whatever you think is broken. ;)

5 hours ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

Feel free to login to the wiki using your registered user name (not your forum handle) and fix whatever you think is broken. ;)

"shakes head" no you don't understand these overviews of the armor are something only the devs can update. not regular users via wiki.

I can't edit something like this for eg, especially since this is supposed to represent what values the given vehicle has ingame.

M60frontarmour.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

5 hours ago, Kev2go said:

"shakes head" no you don't understand these overviews of the armor are something only the devs can update. not regular users via wiki.

I can't edit something like this for eg, especially since this is supposed to represent what values the given vehicle has ingame.

True, that is beyond the scope of typical wiki editing.  We'll just have to wait and see if Deja chimes in.

A handgun for the gunner to shoot his commander with if he keeps pulling his sights off the BMP-2 that's stopped and about to launch an AT-5 at him in favour of a truck, jeep, bridgelayer or other less immediately pressing target.

Edited by ChrisWerb