Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

17 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

In the planning phase at least you can copy and paste routes/route chains from one unit to another and they will do the same thing and retain their relative distance.

You can do this during the action phase too, 'build' the route independently and then 'paste' to multiple units

On 10/16/2016 at 3:18 AM, Ssnake said:

It doesn't seem to be advisable to make any statement at this point. It'll be ready when it's ready, and depending on how much of a change it is and how long it'll be to the next major update we may release it independently, or roll it up into the next major release. If we're using the "18 months" target as a time frame between major updates, end of 2017 might already bring us one.

Thanks Ssnake, appreciate the response and look forward to the new feature when ready.

Existing content, but can you please upgrade the RBS-70 missile? 

1. It does not appear to have proximity fuzing in the game (unless I missed it). In reality Mk 2 at least has (from wiki)  Adaptive proximity fuze function with 3 selectable modes (Off, Normal, Small target)

2. Whilst it is highly effective from the side vs Mi-24s, I have had it take four RBS-70 Mk 2 Bolide hits frontally to take down an Mi 24. This is a Mach 2 missile with a 1.1kg combined HEAT warhead with 3000 tungsten frags. 

Some more MANPADS - at least Redeye, Stinger, SA-7 and SA-18 (or other recent Russian MANPADS) would also be appreciated. That would cover a lot of countries from the mid 60s right up to date with a relatively small number of systems and missile variations. If you wanted to be really lavish you could add the British Blowpipe - > Javelin - > Javelin S-15/Starburst - > Starstreak, but I'm not greedy.

1 hour ago, ChrisWerb said:

Existing content, but can you please upgrade the RBS-70 missile? 

1. It does not appear to have proximity fuzing in the game (unless I missed it). In reality Mk 2 at least has (from wiki)  Adaptive proximity fuze function with 3 selectable modes (Off, Normal, Small target)

2. Whilst it is highly effective from the side vs Mi-24s, I have had it take four RBS-70 Mk 2 Bolide hits frontally to take down an Mi 24. This is a Mach 2 missile with a 1.1kg combined HEAT warhead with 3000 tungsten frags. 

Some more MANPADS - at least Redeye, Stinger, SA-7 and SA-18 (or other recent Russian MANPADS) would also be appreciated. That would cover a lot of countries from the mid 60s right up to date with a relatively small number of systems and missile variations. If you wanted to be really lavish you could add the British Blowpipe - > Javelin - > Javelin S-15/Starburst - > Starstreak, but I'm not greedy.

Pretty sure there were plans to include some of the above in the last update may be they will make the next instalment.

Personally I would like to see a Gepard added.

Edited by Marko

• Members

Oh, it stops at about 160. It can be won. But admittedly it was designed not to be won, only to test how far you would come. As it turned out, some managed to walk the whole distance.

Just like Pac Man, which apparently has 32767 levels. A few years ago some bloke apparently managed to get through to the final level, at which point some funky stuff happens and a rollover occurs --- then you're then back to level 1.

Some FASCAM would be kinda nice in that scenario. Actually LOTS of it! :)  About 75% of the kills I made were using the GAS and manual turret cranking. That was a lot of fun. What killed me in the end were a couple of late model Russian tanks that got stuck behind some burned out hulks where they appear from behind a wood and kept shooting. With the visibility in the game and the 8x (?) GAS I couldn't see them and was pouring shots back at muzzle flashes. It was pretty hopeless.

Edited by ChrisWerb

19 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I'm not sure what the specification difference between the 30mm Kongsberg and the 25mm Bushmaster

The 25mm Bushmaster and the Mk44 30mm (Bushmaster II) are in the Wiki with the ballistics SB gives them (Wiki's SB is a very good open source on weapon performance). Think of the Kongsberg MCT30 as a barely hull-penetrating, unmanned CV9030 turret with 2 x 75round mags that can be unloaded from under armour in under 10 minutes and a 7.62 GPMG with 600 rounds on tap. Kongsberg's data sheet can be downloaded here: http://www.ksat.no/~/media/KPS/Datasheets/PROTECTOR MCT-30.ashx

4 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

The 25mm Bushmaster and the Mk44 30mm (Bushmaster II) are in the Wiki with the ballistics SB gives them (Wiki's SB is a very good open source on weapon performance). Think of the Kongsberg MCT30 as a barely hull-penetrating, unmanned CV9030 turret with 2 x 75round mags that can be unloaded from under armour in under 10 minutes and a 7.62 GPMG with 600 rounds on tap. Kongsberg's data sheet can be downloaded here: http://www.ksat.no/~/media/KPS/Datasheets/PROTECTOR MCT-30.ashx

I wonder if any western nation is fielding a Auto cannon that can penetrate (from the front anyway) the new T-15 heavy IFV being fielded by the Russians.

If it has MBT level frontal armour, I think you already have your answer Marko. What they are almost certainly going to do is start putting ATGW on those IFV that don't already have them, starting with Stryker, then probably the Norwegian CV9030 Mk III. Even the UK is playing with Javelin on a Kongsberg RWS on Spartan. 

Edited by ChrisWerb

Someone is probably going to point me to an example that's already in game, but with the increasing trend toward vehicles that are already turreted getting RWS, can the game architecture or whatever (I'm not a programmer) handle implementing such vehicles? I know you're limited to one co-ax for this reason.

• Members

We're kinda-limited to two coaxially mounted weapons (that is, making it possible would require a bigger effort than one might naturally expect), in a similar way as we're committed to turreted vehicles with only one gunner, one commander, one driver, one loader, and, possibly, one squad/two team leader(s). Which is why the Strv103 hasn't yet found its way into Steel Beasts, interesting as it is from a concept point of view (and our desire to provide a broad spectrum of AFVs, and deep tactics at the same time).

But I digress. Adding a remote weapon station as such isn't so terrible. Like in the real vehicle it does however rasie the issue of overall system complexity and, likely, overloading the vehicle commander with too many things to focus on at the same time.

Snake, that's an argument against having one in reality too. I think there are advantages to having one in a counterinsurgency type war, but (on an MBT) they would seem to be an annoying distraction in conventional conflict. Time will tell.

Let's say you wanted to implement an RMG (not a priority by any means, I know) - couldn't you use a workaround just have additional types of ammunition for your co-ax that effectively change the weapon to a 7.62x51 that shoots 12.7x99? Effectively another switch rather than M would switch to the new ammo in the co-ax. At least one gun (L43A1) was both a coax and an RMG - the GMPG variant used in Scorpion IIRC. 

Edited by ChrisWerb

• Members

Yes, my answer wasn't limited to the Steel Beasts aspect alone.

It's a similar thing with the smoke discharger control panels that we have these days. Single, or salvo? Left, light front? Smoke or fragmentation? Latte, moccha, black? Cream or not? Soy milk, cream, condensed milk?

In the Leopard 1 days, there were two buttons. Salvo left, salvo right. If I need smoke, I don't need a Starbuck's questionnaire how I like my smoke. I want it NOW. I just want to mash some buttons while reversing the hell out of what must be a difficult situation, otherwise I wouldn't want a smoke screen in the first place.

Cognitive psychology shows that the human brain works most efficiently when thinking undisturbed in a serialized manner. Dual-tasking can be trained up to an extent, but once that you're supposed to handle more than two things that you actually need to THINK about things go south rapidly (which is why you can drive a car where you need to concentrate on about seven things at the same time, but they are largely automated; add a cell phone (or alcohol), and you're inviting disaster). Processing time takes much longer than doing the same tasks in a serialized fashion, the error rate goes way up.

The commander is already overburdened with staying ahead in the situational awareness game. He needs to listen to two radio networks plus intercom, send radio reports while backing up and giving the driver instructions, he needs to keep an eye on ammo and fuel status, the crew's morale. The least that I would want as a commander is yet another shooting thingy that induces target fixation. If it's got to be there, at least make it simple like an MG. A remote weapon station? Give that to the loader, or maybe to the squad leader, but leave me, the commander, the hell alone with it; there are enough tasks to juggle with.

Russian MCLIC equivalent on 2S1 chassis. UR-77 "Meteorit" (ustanovka razminirovaniya) 

According to Wiki:

UR-77 "Meteorit" (ustanovka razminirovaniya) – A mine clearing vehicle with a turret-like superstructure bearing two launch ramps. The ramps are used to fire rockets towing hose-type mine-clearing line charges. A single charge can clear an area of 90 m by 6 m. The UR-77 is the successor to the BTR-50 based UR-67.

UR-77 vehicles were used in mass in the Battle of Komsomolskoye during the Second Chechen War- the one-ton mine-clearing charges were used to blow away entire houses.[3]

UR-77s were delivered to the Syrian Army by Russia in 2014 to serve in the Syrian Civil War, where they have been used in action against the Free Syrian Army.[4] Some UR-77s were filmed in combat in the Damascus suburb of Jobar on October 1 (video deleted) .[5] They have also been used in the East Ghouta region.[6]

Interesting video:

https://warisboring.com/assads-new-brutal-mine-clearing-tank-spotted-on-the-front-line-893967d17710#.2s65wtwb5

Presumably in SB this would be a matter of sticking an MCLIC on a 2S1 chassis? The UR-67 could be accomplished the same way with the in-game BTR-50.

Mine-clearing_vehicle_UR-67.jpg

Edited by ChrisWerb

Sorry, dpabrams :) I'd already asked Ssnake to Kitbash an M1 [video] Assault Breacher Vehicle . I haven't played it, but there's what appears to be an Australian Leopard in the game. Would that take much of a tweak to become a Leo1A3 or A4? You had an odd thing happen with the Leo 1s in that the A1 caught up and overtook the A2, A3 and A4, which were only built in limited numbers, to become the A5. I guess it wasn't economically feasible or necessary to upgrade them in the way the A1 ultimately was - I'm sure Ssnake knows the story to this and can fill us in.

Edited by ChrisWerb