Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

On 19/2/2017 at 1:27 PM, kraze said:

Would like to see M1 and L2 tank "cockpits" brought up to current quality standards of M60 and T72

Those new tank insides are really pleasant to look at, which make older, low res textures and low poly detail of previously available tanks stick out like a sore thumb.

Hi 

Think about how much you gain from using development time on that contra getting new vehicles, dismounts on all vehicles (so TC can recon on foot etc....) getting a better server that can handle more people, get the ability to fire AT rockets when you like even when there are tress close by(Apocs pet see above) , as what you are saying is something that works but we only have time for to look at very very briefly at least if you play like most people i know.

I just squint harder then its upgraded :D

Best regards

MD

I don't get the "better server" bit?

Certainly I've used the Pro version of the software to support almost a 100 concurrent users in a stable defence LAN, where admittedly we controlled the quality of the networking, etc.

I've also participated in, and in cases hosted, events with the Pro PE software with 40+ users with little or no problem and there people were scattered across the planet and we had no control over the quality people's networking / Internet connection.

So have we until recently especially if the map is edited, but lately we have had trouble 3-4 times with around 30 players :(

But what i really want is a multi threaded server version that uses the whole/All of the cpus and not just one. That was what i meant with a dedicated server as right now its only a client with no restriction on the number of users its not a real server and therefore it has some severe limitations.

Cause i really really like this sim

MD

Edited by Major duck

2 hours ago, Major duck said:

So have we until recently especially if the map is edited, but lately we have had trouble 3-4 times with around 30 players :(

But what i really want is a multi threaded server version that uses the whole/All of the cpus and not just one. That was what i meant with a dedicated server as right now its only a client with no restriction on the number of users its not a real server and therefore it has some severe limitations.

Well as I say, in 10+ years of using the Pro version I've never experienced "severe limitations".

I'm also not sure how many defence buyers would want to buy something that required such a hardware refresh. I know of several sites here that just use a collection of laptops with one machine labelled as the server, by virtue of it having the dongle. If they now need a dedicated server then we lose a fair bit of flexibility.

I suspect we might be also constraining the community a bit if you need some sort of dedicated server box to run the "server" software.

Currently the limitation is usually network bandwidth, not CPUs.

Maybe just don't mess with the maps (sorry I don't know what your "editing" consists of). I also know that we have run the exact same scenarios that you guys have had issues with and have not had issues.

It just seems to be a big change that might fix an issue that as far as I know only one VU is experiencing.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

All I'm saying is that the cumulative effect of 25 posts x 200 pages (less 10% of my own posts) = 4,500 suggestions can be a bit intimidating at times, even if it's spread over a period of five years (first post, winter 2011/12). I don't have the time to run a statistic of how many of the suggestions we actually implemented over time. Maybe our quota actually isn't bad. It's just that suggestions are inherently easier to come up with than the actual implementation, which is hard work.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

All I'm saying is that the cumulative effect of 25 posts x 200 pages (less 10% of my own posts) = 4,500 suggestions can be a bit intimidating at times, even if it's spread over a period of five years (first post, winter 2011/12). I don't have the time to run a statistic of how many of the suggestions we actually implemented over time. Maybe our quota actually isn't bad. It's just that suggestions are inherently easier to come up with than the actual implementation, which is hard work.

That is because there are many back seat drivers :)

• 2 weeks later...

As armour sim enthusiasts/players were very lucky to have as many playable AFV types as we have currently modeled in game  

With a few exceptions we have nearly every MBT since post WW2. (But are french and italian members could use some more love.)

This in its self makes me wonder what will be Esims future focus will be after the terrain engine update.

Obviously Esims military customers will dictate a large percentage of new content.

(Got to pay those bills)

I seem to remember Ssnake saying a complete new engine at some stage is on the cards

That in its self will be time consuming and expensive to implement.

And will probably take a couple of years of just bug fixing.

I still hope a large military body like the indian army or French /British etc would spend some big bucks.

And we would get some more highly detailed AFV interiors there not the be all and end all but Do make for nice eye candy.

Edited by Marko

Tried to find something but didn't find it. Would be nice to add option to create new routes with hotkeys. So pressing the same key it would alternate between modes (assault, scout, retreat, etc) with a msg label on map mode, and then just draw with the mouse the route. That way we save the option to look for the route menus in with the right mouse button saving a lot of time that is vital sometimes in some situation with lots of units to command.

5 hours ago, Marko said:

As armour sim enthusiasts/players were very lucky to have as many playable AFV types as we have currently modeled in game  

With a few exceptions we have nearly every MBT since post WW2. (But are french and italian members could use some more love.)

This in its self makes me wonder what will be Esims future focus will be after the terrain engine update.

Obviously Esims military customers will dictate a large percentage of new content.

(Got to pay those bills)

I seem to remember Ssnake saying a complete new engine at some stage is on the cards

That in its self will be time consuming and expensive to implement.

And will probably take a couple of years of just bug fixing.

I still hope a large military body like the indian army or French /British etc would spend some big bucks.

And we would get some more highly detailed AFV interiors there not the be all and end all but Do make for nice eye candy.

kinda but not really, for the more primitive tech without  " lase an blaze" tanks you only really  have the T55 and T62 playable ( but T62 needs more work as interior is not modded and the T55 interior looks pretty simple like WIP compared to detail of most other IFV's)

in a addition to that we would also need a crewable cheiftan  mk 5 and a M60A1 to have this earlier cold war period, so T55/T62 dont have to fight themselves. plus Even then its still not nearly every tank post ww2. prior to those you also have T54 variations, M47, and M48 pattons, Centurions. ( only isreali one crewable without interiors)

Edited by Kev2go

1 hour ago, Kev2go said:

kinda but not really, for the more primitive tech without  " lase an blaze" tanks you only really  have the T55 and T62 playable ( but T62 needs more work as interior is not modded and the T55 interior looks pretty simple like WIP compared to detail of most other IFV's)

in a addition to that we would also need a crewable cheiftan  mk 5 and a M60A1 to have this earlier cold war period, so T55/T62 dont have to fight themselves. plus Even then its still not nearly every tank post ww2. prior to those you also have T54 variations, M47, and M48 pattons, Centurions. ( only isreali one crewable without interiors)

I think we would all like the complete SB stable to be playable but its not really a realistic option there's just to many Vehicles

As per my other post about turret interiors, yes eye candy is nice but IMO give me Substance over style anytime. 

AI behavior 
Driver AI , driving through a forest does the drive have to drive up to the tree before he decides to contour it which usually gets it wedge between another tree. Could it be figured out like when you use shift key to give it road paths?
Better recognition of bridges, as in stay on them.... or even give feed back to warn the bridge is not strong enough... we have the gunner call out, why not the driver?
When operating platoon size units and you notice a tank is stuck behind ... would be nice to get a notification , by voice or other.

It just replicates real life.

As a Platoon commander you regularly look around and see where your other tanks are. Similarly you look at a bridge before you cross it and assess if its good enough or not. The Driver wont see until he is on top of it and the Gunner better be looking at other things.

If you just want to spend the game in the Gunner's sight - be a Gunner. Crew Commanders do a lot more.

As for the trees, this is a horse that's been flogged to death and then some. Personally I much prefer this inconvenience (again if you look where you are going, use the right speed - and move from vehicle to vehicle it is minimised) to the real life issues of Barrel Strikes, Bustle Strikes, Widow Makers, etc.

Edited by Gibsonm

The AI is doing what you told it to do.

If you tell it to drive a 60tonne tank over a wooden bridge - you I'm afraid are demonstrating the incompetence. Especially when there are guides out that say a bridge that looks like this can take this much weight.

If you don't have one of those handy then this is a reasonable guide: If is a 4 lane highway then odds are the bridge is OK. If its a dirt track and the bridge is wooden probably not.

As for staying "on" the bridge again there are guides out there trying to make that as straight forward as possible - If you choose not to read them, then I'm afraid I can't help you.

Bridging Info.pdf

How to get the AI to cross a Bridge 3.028.pdf

Edited by Gibsonm

Doesn't happen to me.

If you are changing formation just before you get to the bridge or splitting the platoon up by individually driving vehicles, so they no longer follow the route, again I can't help you.

Read the guide ...

(anyway coming up on 0100 here so happy to continue the discussion later this morning).

Edited by Gibsonm