Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

57 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Really? I think thats only for setting up unit ORBAT "templates" in the mission editor. I understand Japos request as similar to games like the total war series....you klick in a couple of units and assign a key to them...whenever you press that key...these unit get selected and order can be given to all of em at the same time.

IMHO this does not make much sense...but everyone plays SB differently and as he likes...i guess

Nope. 

Before a mission starts, you can group pre-selected units. This was a 4.0 addition.

The drawbacks are 1. it can only happen before mission 2. the waypoints arent consolidated - when you generate a waypoint for the group, each sub-unit will have its own waypoint and normally not near each other. 

I think this may have been discussed before but I would like a slower vehicle speed than the slowest we have now so we can creep forward and would be nice if this were the default.

Especially for the retreat waypoint.

Others may not want this so just throwing it out there.

52 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

I think this may have been discussed before but I would like a slower vehicle speed than the slowest we have now so we can creep forward and would be nice if this were the default.

Especially for the retreat waypoint.

Wouldn't the retreat waypoint be better served by having reverse as the default, as it is now? 

That being said, being able to customize what the "defaults" are for tactics at the user level would certainly be nice. I often change my assaults to Fast Speed, as opposed to Top Speed, for example.

46 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

Wouldn't the retreat waypoint be better served by having reverse as the default, as it is now? 

That being said, being able to customize what the "defaults" are for tactics at the user level would certainly be nice. I often change my assaults to Fast Speed, as opposed to Top Speed, for example.

I would like all the waypoints to stay the way they are just at the slowest setting as default and for a slower setting to be added. I find even speed 1 fast for creeping forward.

Reverse/Retreat for example - If you set a waypoint on the map screen your tank defaults to Max speed  and by the time you switch to 3d view from map view your tank has moved quite a distance.

I know there is a set speed option - just an extra step.

Edited by Parachuteprone

2 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

That might work for SP but surely the "defaults" need to be common defaults (in terms of the definition) on MP?

If say your defaults vary to the server's defaults, who takes precedence? The server machine currently impacts difficulty and realism, perhaps defaults too?

An AI controlled vehicle running off the server's defaults may well run differently to one on you client and if a CO asks to to adopt a certain tactic/behaviour based on their understanding of the default then again things are going to get messy.

Edited by Gibsonm

27 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

That might work for SP but surely the "defaults" need to be common defaults (in terms of the definition) on MP?

If say your defaults vary to the server's defaults, who takes precedence? The server machine currently impacts difficulty and realism, perhaps defaults too?

An AI controlled vehicle running off the server's defaults may well run differently to one on you client and if a CO asks to to adopt a certain tactic/behaviour based on their understanding of the default then again things are going to get messy.

I have no issue with running off the server's defaults for multiplayer, since you generally have less units that you are directly giving orders within Steel Beasts to. When commanding even a Company-sized force in Single Player, being able to set the default speed for all units using a certain tactic would save a lot of mouse clicks. I almost always change the March speed to Top Speed, and lower the Assault speed to Fast, so being able to set those speeds as the "default" during the current session would be very useful. 

I don't think this needs to be anything complex; just add in the option to right click on the speed setting (as opposed to left-click) to make it the default speed for that tactic, as an example. Also, you can have it apply for just that session, so if you set Assault to Fast Speed, and then you start a new session, it switches back to Top Speed, the Steel Beasts default. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Please check the user's manual, Chapter 8, the section about default behaviors per chosen movement tactic.

5 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Please check the user's manual, Chapter 8, the section about default behaviors per chosen movement tactic.

I know, it is reverse then top speed; I just forgot to write it all out. 

Edited by Mirzayev

• Members

So then, what's your beef?

Reversing until you're out of sight, then getting away as fast as possible. We're trying to find a standard behavior that also works for tanks that cannot back up at high speed. I can see that you'd like to have it completely tailored to your (western) preference of vehicles, but it would come at the expense of making mission scripting for units with legacy Russian equipment harder.

10 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

So then, what's your beef?

Reversing until you're out of sight, then getting away as fast as possible. We're trying to find a standard behavior that also works for tanks that cannot back up at high speed. I can see that you'd like to have it completely tailored to your (western) preference of vehicles, but it would come at the expense of making mission scripting for units with legacy Russian equipment harder.

I think there is a breakdown in communication. I don't want to change the entirety of what the waypoint tactics do; the general AI behavior is fine. I was asking for an option to set the default speed for different tactics. 

On 5/1/2017 at 2:41 PM, Captain_Colossus said:

staying in the map editor- proper raised sidewalks, or a raised foundation able to be placed under buildings to give the appearance of sidewalks.

I've found that the Area Covers (added in 4.009 and fixed in 4.019) serve the purpose of creating city blocks. No raised curbs or anything, but it does create a useful visual contrast. Then try laying a concrete path along the edges of said areas to simulate sidewalks. You may have to edit one of the themes since a concrete path on top of a concrete area might be a wash.

Edited by Scrapper_511
Removed comment about white-concrete bug

Is there a way to simulate an airdrop ? Define an area and have a say a battalion slowly appear within it's boundaries in somewhat random locations/ times.

Would love to have proper parachute drops - and beach landings - and Air to surface missile strikes and for my missing Leo 2A6 crewman to appear :)

Love this sim - just so much to add !

3 hours ago, Parachuteprone said:

Is there a way to simulate an airdrop ? Define an area and have a say a battalion slowly appear within it's boundaries in somewhat random locations/ times.

Yes, using the "spawn if" condition you can do just that.

6 hours ago, Parachuteprone said:

Would love to have proper parachute drops - and beach landings - and Air to surface missile strikes and for my missing Leo 2A6 crewman to appear :)

Love this sim - just so much to add !

If you have a look at my primer ("Primer - Heliborne Insertion 2.654 1.1") it is devoted to something similar.

Basically unit X spawns if airframe Y makes it into the LZ.

If you are talking about a para drop, its even easier as you don't have helos to worry about.

Edited by Gibsonm

My wish is for infantry ATGM sights to be available via F2 immediately, of course allowing for a short delay for weapon deployment.

At the moment you have to go into the map, set the troop's tactic, then return to F7, then F2 again to get the sight up. It feels clunky. Yes, perhaps that simulates the deployment time, but it takes your eyes off the target and you lose SA.

Some people have told me that if I don't have time to mess around with the map or wait for the troops to find a suitable "hull down" position with the E key, that's my own problem and I should have set the troops up in a better position in the first place, but I disagree. Sometimes a target just presents itself unexpectedly and I want to be able to fire quickly without having to mess around with the map or wait for the AI to find a hull down position.

At the moment it takes 2 mouse clicks and 3 key presses (If I remember correctly) to be able to get a missile out from troops that were on the move in manual control.

I suggest that pressing F2 should A) stop the troops and then B) bring up the sight as soon as the weapon is deployed.

1 hour ago, paradoxbox said:

My wish is for infantry ATGM sights to be available via F2 immediately, of course allowing for a short delay for weapon deployment.

At the moment you have to go into the map, set the troop's tactic, then return to F7, then F2 again to get the sight up. It feels clunky. Yes, perhaps that simulates the deployment time, but it takes your eyes off the target and you lose SA.

How about using the "Engage Here" command from the squad's icon in the 3D view?

See a target of opportunity; click the icon; click "engage here"; point to the target. When I do this, the squad stops and sets up the weapon (and engages the target if I don't jump to the sight first.) I don't need to bother with the map or setting a tactic for the squad.

3 hours ago, Splash said:

How about using the "Engage Here" command from the squad's icon in the 3D view?

See a target of opportunity; click the icon; click "engage here"; point to the target. When I do this, the squad stops and sets up the weapon (and engages the target if I don't jump to the sight first.) I don't need to bother with the map or setting a tactic for the squad.

I think that was covered initially here:

Then it was added here as a "wish" since I gather he doesn't want to / doesn't have time to, switch to the map.

The problem is if you're on nearly flat ground with a slight ridge midway between you and the tank. The AI decides it is not in a good position and spends a LONG time running for better cover before it will let you engage. Other kinds of positions can also create this issue of lengthy cover searching. Similarly, when going into the map view, I have to press F5, then find my current unit on the map, then right click it and make sure I don't accidentally click on one of the hundreds of crisscrossing routes and battle positions on the map, then set the tactics, then go back to F7, then F2 again, and possibly more clicks or keys after that to get the desired sighting. It is just kludgy, I love that infantry are in SB now but I think this one point could be improved and make a big difference to people who spend a lot of time manually controlling infantry.

Edited by paradoxbox

Well, a solution could be for ATGM team to have rhe default behaviour of "stay" linked to the "E" key.

Problem might be that if this a global setting(for all unit types) it would spoil it royaly for non ATGM units....so: work to do for ESIM ?