Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

I know this is an old chestnut, but I'd love to see the helicopter damage model revamped as helos can now take an amazing amount of hits from the frontal arc and stay airborne and fighting. This is what it took to take down two Mi 24s in a recent scenario - they were a few hundred metres from the Finnish defenders and one ended up hovering over them at treetop height. One took 11 x M430 HEDP hits (all frontal and all outside minimum safe arming distance so functioned as normal), an NLAW/Storm (again outside minimum safe arming distance) and infantry 7.62 SA fire (the latter from directly underneath which eventually took it out). I have had hinds survive three RBS-70 frontal hits undamaged. Helos seem realistically vulnerable from angles other than frontal, so I assume this is either a glitch or done intentionally to make them more survivable for training value.

Infantry that can become invisible to simulate taking cover. At the moment infantry - even very well equipped ones - are inevitably killed by vehicle MG fire if they stay put, once they have expended their AT weapons. Yes, it would make sense to retreat and take up another BP elsewhere, but that's not always possible. Just looking at the relatively open terrain around my home in Orkney, there are plenty of places where infantry could take cover out of LoS.

Forest trees that are not made of depleted uranium and kill three drew members in a 10 mph collision. it is never desirable to hit a tree, but, in reality, many plantations are made up of less substantial trees. Northern forest is often silver birch which live only 40-50 years and seldom grow particularly thick or have deep, substantial root systems. Conifer plantations are often harvested long before they reach the size that would cause a tank to come to an immediate full stop from speed - in reality you would run into many immature plantations too.

5 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Forest trees that are not made of depleted uranium and kill three drew members in a 10 mph collision. it is never desirable to hit a tree, but, in reality, many plantations are made up of less substantial trees. Northern forest is often silver birch which live only 40-50 years and seldom grow particularly thick or have deep, substantial root systems. Conifer plantations are often harvested long before they reach the size that would cause a tank to come to an immediate full stop from speed - in reality you would run into many immature plantations too.

Yeah , try backing up from a still position and hit a tree in much less of 10 meters and knocking out the driver..... it is unreal

16 minutes ago, Zaphod said:

Yeah , try backing up from a still position and hit a tree in much less of 10 meters and knocking out the driver..... it is unreal

You could always try looking where you are going (like the crew commander is supposed to) and just avoid the tree. :)

34 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

You could always try looking where you are going (like the crew commander is supposed to) and just avoid the tree. :)

I am with Gibson at least as far as the looking part. A midsize conifer can

do bad things to the anus of your tank. And to your tracks if you Are unlucky.

having said that, then the attack of the deadly trees is obviously a bug.

A bug that Esim and the Ssnake is aware of. Hopefully they are working on it.

I guess I'm just saying be careful what you wish for.

If excessive damage (in some people's opinions) is a bug, then surely not replicating a "barrel strike" is a bug too.

If you want the damage thing fixed to make it more "realistic" then we should have the barrel strike implemented (no more barrels just slicing through tree trunks) to fix that unrealistic part as well.

Never say never. The Merkava Mk3(Baz and Dor Dalet)  and Mk4 could be implemented as non-crewable AI tanks like the current Merkava 2B. I do not want to be "promiscuous" towards "my baby" but they are beauties: Quote

Hell has just frozen over. LoL

lavictoireestlavie has just cheated on the Leclerc.  LoL

37 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

Maybe he wants photorealistic cardboard targets to practice against.

I used to use that picture in my shooting club. Until someone for reasons unknown thought it was in bad taste.

So I switched to Stalin, which apparently also had a fanclub.

Then I used Kim Jong Il, and then gave up the whining... And told me to remember to take the targets with me after I punched holes in em ...

40 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

I used to use that picture in my shooting club. Until someone for reasons unknown thought it was in bad taste.

So I switched to Stalin, which apparently also had a fanclub.

Then I used Kim Jong Il, and then gave up the whining... And told me to remember to take the targets with me after I punched holes in em ...

as if you'd anywhere near the target ?