Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I understand it the primary changes are aimed primarily towards elevation data, not terrain data (which in SB means trees, water, roads, buildings, etc.) Currently the SB mission editor defaults to embedding elevation data in the scenario file. When you run a scenario SB automatically performs elevation adjustments, leveling the ground next to roads for example, which isn't a big deal as the current elevation data is pretty coarse, 12.5 meters per sample. The new engine will support much higher resolution meaning potentially much larger scenario files and longer loading times if high res elevation data was embedded in the scenarios and automatically adjusted for road leveling, etc. when loading. It would seem the main change is that that scenarios will no longer contain the base elevation data, but instead can contain pre-generated elevation adjustment data (that is presumably created when saving the scenario in the mission editor and which compresses down to a relatively small size as it only contains the difference between the base data and the new elevations.)

Thus, when players download the scenario via a browser or else get it from a multiplayer host, they'll need to have the base elevation data already on their system. This is how it used to work with the original Steel Beasts, and even with the current version of SB you can optionally save scenarios without embedding the elevation, requiring the player to have the data already on their system.

Edited by Rotareneg

1 hour ago, Bond_Villian said:

Outlandish Wishlist entry inbound-brace yourself! ;

A basic set of ww2 kit consisting of a medium tank, an APC, a tank destroyer, a (towed) anti tank gun and an infantry AT weapon (and skins) each, for US Russia and Germany.

I bet noone has wished this before!

Cheers ;)

Perhaps, if the towed AT gun issue can be worked out, it would be better still if the SB team allowed a second development team to make a complete WW2 tank sim based on the Pro PE engine?

19 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

The option to specify the cargo in the ammo truck, or perhaps just the option to exclude certain types, such as ICM or ATGM.

I like this one - especially the ability to specify quantities and natures in a similar manner to setting the ammo states for combat units.

On 02/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, Gibsonm said:

Would be good to set an upper limit so a 10T truck isn't carrying 400T of 155mm Arty ammo.

Would make for a pretty serious VBIED if we could explode non civilian vehicles. :)

You make a really good point of course. It would be good if you could specify what ammo a truck was carrying - the same would go for infantry ammunition, mortar rounds, ATGW etc. 

On 24/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, Gibsonm said:

So by all means waste the ammunition (IMHO) on lower priority targets in SB, but please don't tell me how to employ the weapon system in real life until you know a bit more than just copy and paste out of Wikipedia or whatever.

Nice bit of ad hom as usual Gibson and, as usual, I won't go there. I do respect your experience, but it remains a fact that weapons originally designed for AT use get a lot of use for other roles. The US recently adopted the Carl Gustav M4 as the M3A1 primarily as a non AT weapon, for example. Most AT weapons are designed to be dual or multipurpose. Likewise there are relevant modern conflicts where armour gets little use or is confined to one side which would be interesting to try to emulate here. I love armour on armour scenarios too, but I don't see any point in restricting weapon capabilities in SB to less than they are actually employed for in RL.

1 hour ago, Bond_Villian said:

Nevermind, i didnt realise you were asking a redundant question

It wasn't a question - I was giving my opinion that something would be a good addition to the game that (as far as I know) does not currently feature therein (infantry weapon reload quantities specified for logistics vehicles). i do think that feature should be optional though as it would create an admin burden for those who did not want it (ditto 155 ammo on trucks).

Edited by ChrisWerb

24 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

- Probably wished before but anyway, a on map ruler for measuring distance from point-to-point.  By that, I don´t mean in the editor.

- A compas like in Arma II-III.

we already have a compass function. you know that? 

4 hours ago, Red2112 said:

- Probably wished before but anyway, a on map ruler for measuring distance from point-to-point.  By that, I don´t mean in the editor.

- A compas like in Arma II-III.

3 hours ago, Grenny said:

we already have a compass function. you know that? 

Actually there is two:

1. The vehicle outline lower right hand side of the screen.

2. An "on screen" Azimith indicator

Both can be turned on or off by the scenario designer.

But by all means if you want a prismatic one, then sure. Just watch it spin beside the big chunk of metal called a tank.

Edited by Gibsonm

5 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Nice bit of ad hom as usual Gibson and, as usual, I won't go there. I do respect your experience, but it remains a fact that weapons originally designed for AT use get a lot of use for other roles. The US recently adopted the Carl Gustav M4 as the M3A1 primarily as a non AT weapon, for example. Most AT weapons are designed to be dual or multipurpose. Likewise there are relevant modern conflicts where armour gets little use or is confined to one side which would be interesting to try to emulate here. I love armour on armour scenarios too, but I don't see any point in restricting weapon capabilities in SB to less than they are actually employed for in RL.

and the usual selective quoting from you.

If you bother to read the first part of what I typed and what you didn't bother to quote, you'd see that I acknowledge that - or perhaps the sarcasm was lost on you.

Edited by Gibsonm

5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Actually there is two:

1. The vehicle outline lower right hand side of the screen.

2. An "on screen" Azimith indicator

Both can be turned on or off by the scenario designer.

But by all means if you want a prismatic one, then sure. Just watch it spin beside the big chunk of metal called a tank.

As for 1, yes Iam aware of that one but no degree markings that I know of.

As for 2, I think I missed this, or maybe not.

No, you could have a GPS type, or electronic compas (isolated) that don´t spin next to metal chunks.

Sure we have the CMD view on some tanks that will show which degree your pointing on the tactical screen, and if you lase you could even get range.  But I don´t see a "range" ruler in the map view for plotting, that´s what I miss...

Eiher way, thank you Sir for pointing out these two options.

Edited by Red2112

34 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

As for 1, yes Iam aware of that one but no degree markings that I know of.

As for 2, I think I missed this, or maybe not.

No, you could have a GPS type, or electronic compas (isolated) that don´t spin next to metal chunks.

Sure we have the CMD view on some tanks that will show which degree your pointing on the tactical screen, and if you lase you could even get range.  But I don´t see a "range" ruler in the map view for plotting, that´s what I miss...

Eiher way, thank you Sir for pointing out these two options.

Can I suggest you create a simple sandbox scenario (no need for enemy, etc.) in the editor and turn the Azimith indicator option "on".

Then test or load it and see if that does what you want.

Of course you then need the scenario designer to activate it if you want it - its not "player controlled".

I would really love an M2A2 ODS-SA variant. I just took command of a combat engineer company (Alpha variant) that is Bradley mounted and we use the SA variant. National Guard apparently isn't cool enough for the new A3s :)

I have shown a bunch of my troops SB. They were excited and want to use it as a training tool for the Bradley crews.