Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

and the usual selective quoting from you.

If you bother to read the first part of what I typed and what you didn't bother to quote, you'd see that I acknowledge that - or perhaps the sarcasm was lost on you.

Sorry Gibson, I did bother to read it, but i was primarily addressing your point that everything I know apparently comes from wikipedia etc. and not yourself or direct empirical experience of service in the ADF, and is therefore at least suspect and quite possibly invalid. Since that includes most of my supposed knowledge, including the Laws of Newtonian physics, I am now wondering if I can make the walk from here to the bathroom without floating away and have my piss arc down into the toilet bowl as the interweb predicts; if not I will have some explaining to do to the missus when she gets back from her mother's. Oddly enough, my enjoyment of SB has been greatly enhanced by your brilliant training material from which I have learned a lot - I just wish you would lay off the personal attacks. It's not their effect on me (I had a father uncanily like you) but rather what others think - like the Egyptian chap you jumped on for using the word "invulnerable" - it's not even his first language after all. SB, as you know, is not just a military training suite (though I acknowledge the knowledge and funds you channel into that), it's also a game played by gamers. The Personal Edition certainly is. The SB forum is not, as far as I know, intended to be a closed-shop for serving and veteran armed forces personnel so please try to get used to the fact that some of us never had the chance to do this stuff for real. 

Edited by ChrisWerb

The manual azimuth function, triggered by the "K" key when in the commanders position of any unit, is always available. The manual azimuth setting in the mission editor only controls whether the tank clock automatically rotates or if it stays fixed pointing "up."

You can activate the compass when looking through binos, but it won't actually show the compass tape on screen until you zoom out.

It would be nice if the map had some basic "ruler and protractor" functions. You can work around that by printing a map and using real-life tools, but that seems a bit sub-optimal when SB is being used as a "game" as opposed to a real-life training tool.

Edited by Rotareneg

2 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Sorry Gibson, I did bother to read it, but i was primarily addressing your point that everything I know apparently comes from wikipedia etc. and not yourself or direct empirical experience of service in the ADF, and is therefore at least suspect and quite possibly invalid. Since that includes most of my supposed knowledge, including the Laws of Newtonian physics, I am now wondering if I can make the walk from here to the bathroom without floating away and have my piss arc down into the toilet bowl as the interweb predicts; if not I will have some explaining to do to the missus when she gets back from her mother's. Oddly enough, my enjoyment of SB has been greatly enhanced by your brilliant training material from which I have learned a lot - I just wish you would lay off the personal attacks. It's not their effect on me (I had a father uncanily like you) but rather what others think - like the Egyptian chap you jumped on for using the word "invulnerable" - it's not even his first language after all. SB, as you know, is not just a military training suite (though I acknowledge the knowledge and funds you channel into that), it's also a game played by gamers. The Personal Edition certainly is. The SB forum is not, as far as I know, intended to be a closed-shop for serving and veteran armed forces personnel so please try to get used to the fact that some of us never had the chance to do this stuff for real. 

So I agree with you in my original post (but you didn't read it) and still I'm in trouble - goodbye.

11 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Can I suggest you create a simple sandbox scenario (no need for enemy, etc.) in the editor and turn the Azimith indicator option "on".

Then test or load it and see if that does what you want.

Of course you then need the scenario designer to activate it if you want it - its not "player controlled".

Thank you Sir, yes the below reply answers that posibility.

10 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

The manual azimuth function, triggered by the "K" key when in the commanders position of any unit, is always available. The manual azimuth setting in the mission editor only controls whether the tank clock automatically rotates or if it stays fixed pointing "up."

You can activate the compass when looking through binos, but it won't actually show the compass tape on screen until you zoom out.

It would be nice if the map had some basic "ruler and protractor" functions. You can work around that by printing a map and using real-life tools, but that seems a bit sub-optimal when SB is being used as a "game" as opposed to a real-life training tool.

Interesting enough that´s quite useful, the only problem I see is that it takes a while to load.  Once loaded you do have about 15º side-to-side of tape still visible but once you scan past those 15º margens, the tape fades away.  I have no idea what the red tape below that is!  Another minor problem is the color of the tape versus the background.  If you could change the default color that would be cool too.

As Rotar states in his post, "thats" what I miss and wished for, a ruler and protractor tools on map.  Simple as dragging pointer from point A to point B will show azimuth and range.   Some sub sims have that (Silent Hunter, Dangerous Waters). 

Thank you both!  I was not aware of the "K" key azimuth function!

Edited by Red2112
spelling

System Reliablity

I was using the Spike missile in game the other day and realised that I had never had one miss. Those that his always invariably heavily damaged the tanks they hit (T-64 and later Soviet/Ukrainian/Russian). I don't (obviously) have any reliability figures for Spike, but that felt suspect to me and it got me thinking that it might be nice to be able to have a baseline reliability for all systems that was 100% and to be able to teak it lower.

I realise that you can set up areas in map editor and have, for example, the engine or stabilization fail on a tank unexpectedly (to the trainee) if you drive into them into it, so there is an avenue for this to be trained for with SB, it would just be nice if there were pseudo-random failures (particularly with ATGMs, automatic weapon stoppages etc.) that would add an additional level of randmness to SB. I am talking about completely random failures - it would probably be too complicated to link them to specific events/actions.

Apologies if this has been asked for before.

Late edit: on subsequent thought, this is a morass of potential complexity and it could be partly addressed (given time) by some probability formulae that could be entered (unfortunately) vehicle by vehicle if you really wanted to - at least for vehicles rather than dismounted systems. If we could confine it to automatic weapon stoppages (more common) and breakages (less common) and ATGW (both ground or vehicle launched) going ballistic/haywire or dudding out (ditto hand held unguided AT), that would be great.

Edited by ChrisWerb
Not to sound like a complete dick.

Found this variant of the Pizarro.

See pic below.

Thought it would be an excellent addition to the next major update.

With the new terrain update pending, Some sneak and peak missions in such a vehicle would be interesting

Never really got in to recon missions although I appreciate there value.

While I am here LoL.

I recently watched some interesting videos on the S25 sprut also the BMD-4.

what an addition they would make. 

Both can be air dropped with the crew inside, though its not common practice.

ASCOD-Pizarro-Special-Recce-Vehicle.jpg

2008_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_BMD-4.jpg

2S25_Sprut-SD,_Moscow_parade_2009.jpg

Edited by Marko

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, Gibsonm said:

Mostly there now. :)

Probably will be more pronounced when the new terrain engine arrives.

Yes with New Terrain engine hopefully we will get better matching suspension 

On 10/24/2017 at 0:54 AM, TSe419E said:

What Zero said.

And the M60A1.

Same however particularly I would like to the see the M60A1 RISE Passive  instead of the completely Vanilla M60A1, because the initial version Lacks any sort of stabilization and since IR lamps dont work in SB it would really have no effectiveness in night operations.

Plus RiSe P could also come in the  secondary version:  USMC late 1980s - early 90s "flavor" covered in ERA like it was seen in the Gulf war.

Edited by Kev2go

On 11/18/2017 at 2:13 PM, Kev2go said:

Same however particularly I would like to the see the M60A1 RISE Passive  instead of the completely Vanilla M60A1, because the initial version Lacks any sort of stabilization and since IR lamps dont work in SB it would really have no effectiveness in night operations.

Plus RiSe P could also come in the  secondary version:  USMC late 1980s - early 90s "flavor" covered in ERA like it was seen in the Gulf war.

+1 for this

Centurion MK5/2 DK2 with LRF and Termic sight and the M41DK1 . The old gasoline engine was replaced by a new turbo-charged diesel powerpack (Cummins VTA-903TR developing 465 hp at 2.800 rpm). The 76 mm gun remained, but a new type of high performance anti-tank round (APFSDS from AAI International) was bought. 
Other improvements includes an 
NBC system, thermal night vision system (Jahn Anderson) with integrated laser rangefinder (Ericsson Radio Systems), night vision periscope (Texas Instruments) as well as Halogen searchlight mounted on the gun mantlet. The fire control system was made by AEG Telefunken using American, Danish and German components. 
Wegmann smoke dischargers were added to the turret. Fire suppression is handled by a system from Graviner (Firewire). 
Note the Leopard 1-like side skirt.

55 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

You can already do that.  Just open SB twice and put one on each monitor.  I have done it and it does not affect game play.  It will, however, cause problems with the AAR.

That issent multi monitor 
we have problems with it during multiplayer games often have desync

1 hour ago, Boner said:

multi monitor capability would be epic  having the map up as i rage through a scenario would be truly epic i say 

awesome-top-96-kick-ass-home-office-setups-pertaining-to-dual-computer-desk-setup.jpg

+1