Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

22 hours ago, Ssnake said:

With respect to the requested MCLOS missiles, I'll think about that for a while. Originally I was a bit more ambitious, thinking of an actual model of manual guidance (and how that would translate to computer-controlled units), but I guess that your argument of overpowered missiles has some merit even IF the missiles would still be overpowered with respect to their accuracy.

Yes, exactly.

Perhaps at this point it isn't possible to simulate an AT-3A or AT-3B because ProPE can't/doesn't support the MCLOS guidance method.  But, currently, if I want to put a Sagger team into a Suez scenario, it means I have the opposing side facing down missiles from the future...

If you include AT-3A/B/C in the simulation right now, although they might be more accurate than the historical MCLOS missiles, having the weaker warhead, shorter range, slower flight time, etc, of an earlier missile would make the match up "less unfair".

A scenario designer could start the AT-3 missile teams off with 1/2 of the ammunition depleted to simulate the misses they would have had from a real human guiding an MCLOS missile, or perhaps you could make 20 or 30% of the AT-3A/B simply fail to detonate, thus simulating those instances in which a missile team took a shot, guided the missile, and missed.

Simulate what you can simulate 100%, and then find a way to make the rest of it work.

Following on from Maj. Hans observations, I obviously don't know how SB works internally, but, as a workaround, could you not make an MCLOS missile a flyable vehicle like a drone, only a lot faster and with a big tracking flare in the back, but with control only possible from the perspective of the magnified optics at the firing point? 

Edited by ChrisWerb

On 23/12/2017 at 12:51 PM, ChrisWerb said:

Following on from Maj. Hans observations, I obviously don't know how SB works internally, but, as a workaround, could you not make an MCLOS missile a flyable vehicle like a drone, only a lot faster and with a big tracking flare in the back, but with control only possible from the perspective of the magnified optics at the firing point? 

Bad enough with SACLOS if you have a sub par PC

Moving onto the wish list:

The ability for AFVs to engage Infantry groups (3+) with Main Armament HE rounds (and gunners to aim for airburst at infantry in wood lines)

(Less practicable with newer semi combustable 120mm rounds)

Aaaaand take away the unload round "ability" for the Chieftain and Challenger (cos frankly, its daft, thinking about the design)

8 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Bad enough with SACLOS if you have a sub par PC

Moving onto the wish list:

The ability for AFVs to engage Infantry groups (3+) with Main Armament HE rounds (and gunners to aim for airburst at infantry in wood lines)

(Less practicable with newer semi combustable 120mm rounds)

Aaaaand take away the unload round "ability" for the Chieftain and Challenger (cos frankly, its daft, thinking about the design)

I don't know if I want to see tanks wasting precious main gun rounds on infantry groups, but I would like to see APCs and IFVs with cannons (M2/M3/BMP1/2 etc) fire their main guns at infantry groups, and possibly at identified ATGM teams that are outside coax range.

REQ:  Add more RPG slots in a infantry team. 

Right now a squad can only have 1 kind of RPG. for example M136 AT-4 or RPG-7. But now when the Carl Gustav have a mix of HE, HEAT and HEDP it would be nice if there was more then 1 slot so a ammo screen could be:

RPG Slot1: CG HEAT x 2

RPG Slot2: CG HE x2

RPG Slot2: RPG-7 x 0

7.62 x 250 

Etc.

Add a Smoke round for the Carl G and a selector what ammo to shoot where and I will be halfway to an virtual infantry-orgasm :D

Merry Christmas! 
/KT

20 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

I don't know if I want to see tanks wasting precious main gun rounds on infantry groups, but I would like to see APCs and IFVs with cannons (M2/M3/BMP1/2 etc) fire their main guns at infantry groups, and possibly at identified ATGM teams that are outside coax range.

And if you don't have IFVs or APCs in a position to assist?

Think I'd rather dish out a couple of HE rounds than take an RPG to the face.

9 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

REQ:  Add more RPG slots in a infantry team. 

Right now a squad can only have 1 kind of RPG. for example M136 AT-4 or RPG-7. But now when the Carl Gustav have a mix of HE, HEAT and HEDP it would be nice if there was more then 1 slot so a ammo screen could be:

RPG Slot1: CG HEAT x 2

RPG Slot2: CG HE x2

RPG Slot2: RPG-7 x 0

7.62 x 250 

Etc.

Add a Smoke round for the Carl G and a selector what ammo to shoot where and I will be halfway to an virtual infantry-orgasm :D

Merry Christmas! 
/KT

Are you trying to turn this into an infantry sim? Go play ArmA

?

21 hours ago, DK-DDAM said:

it quite depends what you think is within coax range..

Hm, a valid question.  And now that you mention it I'm not sure when the last time I had to engage infantry with Coax at a distance was...

But I want to say that you could reach out to 1000 yards if not more with it and be effective against infantry, situation dependent.

On 12/26/2017 at 9:16 AM, Gibsonm said:

Not sure if the new engine supports those sorts of changes - guess we'll have to wait and see.

alright gibson have u got any idea on what the engine would be able to do. since what im talking about here is a simple "Roadmap" as in a road path like on any maps being dropped after the plow where you drive, and since they are already in the game it should be duable to do..

6 hours ago, DK-DDAM said:

alright gibson have u got any idea on what the engine would be able to do. since what im talking about here is a simple "Roadmap" as in a road path like on any maps being dropped after the plow where you drive, and since they are already in the game it should be duable to do..

No I have no idea, (and if I did I'd probably be under a NDA and not be able to tell you).

But I'm assuming (always risky) that what you are asking for is the ability to dynamically change any uploughed terrain tile for a ploughed one (since you can't control where a breach lane is created) and I'm not sure if the current engine can do that, except maybe along similar line to the current ability to replace a good wooden building with a damaged one if a vehicle drives through it.

You can't just create a road tile on the fly in the current system, you need to create the road in the Map Editor and it is there throughout.

If that assumption is correct and you can't do it in the current version, then by definition we'll have to wait and see if you can do it in the new one.

Another infantry REQ:

The ability to toogle the ammo status in the upper right corner with the Insert/delete/home keys to see how much ammo the infantry team has of different weapons. 

As it is right now if the Infantry team have 5.56 selected you can not see how man RPG rounds the team have left, until they want to shoot one and toogles to it, and then you cant see how many 5.56 rounds you.

Plus there is no way to see how many 40mm grenades you have of HE and SMK.

7 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

You can always generate a log report for that (map screen). Just in case that you aren't aware of this option.

No I wasnt actually. When I try it I just get a blank printout? 

Still think to be able to toogle between the ammo types like the infantry team was a tank or IFV is smoother then printing a report and read through midgame.

/KT

I wonder will the next Gen of military sims. 

With advanced terrain rendering etc, have the ability to realistically camouflage vehicles (like the pic below)

I realise the widespread use of thermal imagers /cameras negates traditional camouflage.

But for older scenarios. and maybe even the implementation of newer types of thermal defeating camouflage types

26169864_1120378834731232_934739772810835077_n.jpg

On 1/2/2018 at 10:21 AM, Kingtiger said:

No I wasnt actually. When I try it I just get a blank printout? 

Still think to be able to toogle between the ammo types like the infantry team was a tank or IFV is smoother then printing a report and read through midgame.

/KT

this would be excellent,I mean you can do it with Vechicles.Why not grunts.