Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Cows

Deer

Foxes

stray dogs and cats

Birds !!

esp. singing birds !

To bring some more life in the empty forests and meadows.

And it has some training value, the world being also populated by animals ...

-> is that a fox moving around there in the forest, or ...

->  ...

One can dream in this Wishlist, can’t we ?

And may there be one day TRAINS as well  !

🙂

24 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

I concur and second everything KT wrote. This would bring it closer into the actual interaction between a FO/FOO and the troops that they are supposeed to interact with and support, as well as making the artillery much more effective and flexible if you use it correctly.

Except that usually the FO / JFT, etc. works with the Company Commander (esp. in the sort of battles that are the SB "norm").

Platoon commanders might request fore but its the Company Commander who determines if they get it or not, after all you could have two or three Platoon Commanders asking for fire from one fire unit.

13 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Except that usually the FO / JFT, etc. works with the Company Commander (esp. in the sort of battles that are the SB "norm").

Platoon commanders might request fore but its the Company Commander who determines if they get it or not, after all you could have two or three Platoon Commanders asking for fire from one fire unit.

Except that in all the sessions I have been a part of then the CO simply does not have time to fully utilize it, let alone do the adjustments which in fact was what KT described? 

Moreover, then one does NOT preclude the other as a competent FO can juggle the CO´s orders while at the same time allocating available assets to the needs of the individuals platoon, within the purview of the CO. Added to which then a competent FO., is able to have a feel for the battle and thus in dialogue with the CO prioritize the firemissions.

At any rate, then this does not change the validity nor the contextual need for what KT described, nor the fact that we can actually make it work with the right FO and the right PLT ldrs and CO. 

Edited by Nike-Ajax

So this request doesnt end up in arguments over who has control of FO etc etc I want to point out that Compas/ruller or equalent (like the Mätskiva M21B we have in Sweden) Can be used in offline 1 singleplayer mode as well for calling in artillery, pinpoint where enemy units are located with no map update on, or own position if all map updates are turned off.

Example of Mätskiva M21B used for calculating positions.

hui-M3242_9c8nugwj.png 

19 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

So this request doesnt end up in arguments over who has control of FO etc etc I want to point out that Compas/ruller or equalent (like the Mätskiva M21B we have in Sweden) Can be used in offline 1 singleplayer mode as well for calling in artillery, pinpoint where enemy units are located with no map update on, or own position if all map updates are turned off.

Example of Mätskiva M21B used for calculating positions.

hui-M3242_9c8nugwj.png 

+1 with the 6400 mils version

This is the danish version:

586px-Kortmaal_M70.jpg

There is a piece of string from the center to measure the mils/TS also every soldier learns to measure mils with fingers and hands and use the conversion formula 1 meter side ways at a 1000 meters equals 1 mils/TS, that way you can give a rough estimate of how far and in which direction something is with just a map and a Kortmål M/70 if you can identifi something on the map and a compass makes it even easier

MD

On 3/23/2018 at 5:29 AM, dpabrams said:
  • Remodeled M1...
  • M2/ M2A1 and M3/ M3A1
  • M151 Jeep

On 4/2/2018 at 3:29 PM, Splash said:

Inclusion of all available infantry models in "set look of infantry"...

Additional infantry models: particularly UK (Cold War and modern)...

Updated models for remaining ASLAV family.

A T-50 turret option for the M113A1.

Animated water, rather than a static texture.

I'm a big fan of these Wish List items from @dpabrams and @Splash

The addition of all available infantry models in "set look of infantry"... would be a game changer for scenario designers and mixing and matching uniform and small-arms configurations (ideally with customised after-market skins) to achieve new historically accurate combinations, e.g. US 1970 3D infantry model with FN FAL rifle to represent Cold War Canadian infantry. 

As an aide-memoire, below is my standing Top 10 Wish List :)

On 4/22/2017 at 10:55 AM, Panzer_Leader said:

I'm really pleased with the direction eSim has taken the 4.x updates and my personal Wish List has done well out of them, including an updated ASLAV-25 3D model and interior in 4.019.  Although it doesn't change materially, I thought I should update my Wish List post-4.019:

1. Updated 3D model for ASLAV-PC <New ASLAV-25 3D model and interior released 4.019>
  2. Updated 3D model for M113AS4
  3. Challenger 1 Mk 3 (crewable, 3D interior)
  4. M2/M3A1
  5. FV432
  6. ACRV IV14/15
  7. T-80BV
  8. SPG-9
  9. IP/M1 105 mm interior gun breech and external (commander's view) fume extractor model
  10. Updated 3D model for British infantry with Mk 6 or Mk 7 helmet

Cheers

On 2/4/2018 at 10:39 AM, Kingtiger said:

Wish list: 

What:
A Compass and a ruler (Distance) in F5 Map view.

Why:
FOO and infantry can now in SB hit "K" key for Azimuth that gives both degrees and mils and with Binos with mils in it we can now calculate the distance to target. This give us the two of three important things when calling for indirect fire (last is altitude, but that we get from the map) and the two things that is needed to plot with good results enemy units on map when Enemy contacts are disabled. However once you have Azimut and distance you dont really come any further with that data once you go into map view.
In real life I Can take my compass and ruler (if the ruler on the compass doesn't stretch far out enough) and plot on map where the enemy are using as stated, azimut and distance, (asuming I already know my own position).
But in SB I do not have a compass or a ruler, which makes both azimut and distance a "qualified guess" at best. I a forested/Urban area this can somewhat be mitigated by reading the terrain, but for example in desert or more open areas this "qualified guess" are often way off. So a tool in the map view to transfare the data recived in 3D mode would be much appreciated.

Effect:

Practice in taking out direction and distance using compass and binos and transfer it to map to get more accurate contact reports AND calling in artillery fire more precisly.

/KT

+ 1 old wish of mine

17 minutes ago, Major duck said:

+ 1 old wish of mine

Its the one missing feature in a supposedly the creme de la creme of armored warfare simulations. I mean its in silent hunter, dcs thats water and air. I usually include a yardstick to my plan screen so I can roughly measure a distance off my monitor. I couldnt agree more. 👍🏻

I get that its a wish list, but ...

1. There is a distance measuring tool in the planning screen.

2. During execution you have a map - which has nice 1km wide boxes on it.

3. You often also have other aides like laser range finders and binoculars that help give you the distance.

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

I get that its a wish list, but ...

1. There is a distance measuring tool in the planning screen.

2. During execution you have a map - which has nice 1km wide boxes on it.

3. You often also have other aides like laser range finders and binoculars that help give you the distance.

Hi 

This is a wishlist a kind of a brain storm, its common courtesy not to censor other peoples wishes, and last i looked you where not the censor of this product so its fine that you doesn't need it but just in the last 3 pages no less then 4 guys have requested it (at least 3 of them are serving or ex members with many years of service behind them) and its not the first time its been asked for and everytime you tell us that you don't want it, lets leave it to Esim and Ssnake to decide what we get please.
Its fine if you enlighten us if the functionality already exist but it doesn't in this case.

The guys have even shown pics of the tools that they are using irl so would you please respect other peoples wishes please.

If we should be so lucky to get it in a update later on you can just chose to not use it if you don't like it.

Best regards

MD

1 hour ago, Major duck said:

Hi 

This is a wishlist a kind of a brain storm, its common courtesy not to censor other peoples wishes, and last i looked you where not the censor of this product so its fine that you doesn't need it but just in the last 3 pages no less then 4 guys have requested it (at least 3 of them are serving or ex members with many years of service behind them) and its not the first time its been asked for and everytime you tell us that you don't want it, lets leave it to Esim and Ssnake to decide what we get please.
Its fine if you enlighten us if the functionality already exist but it doesn't in this case.

The guys have even shown pics of the tools that they are using irl so would you please respect other peoples wishes please.

If we should be so lucky to get it in a update later on you can just chose to not use it if you don't like it.

Best regards

MD

tbf...Mark is staing his opinion in regards to a suggestion of features. That's not censoring in my book.

5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

+1

That's all I'll say.

Ya, censoring, I know it all to well. :)

As for the compass, if I may add my 2 cents. Arty is not a lazer wpn, that is to say: we in most (if not all armies) practice using fire and adjust for a reason. Now I know we have some high  tech equipment to aid one to drop arty on a 10 grid map location. That being said , most all start out being taught to fire one round, and adjust.

So I would say we have the tools in the sim to teach,learn, and use the arty as in real life.

My unit used the sim in this way in real life before going to the range. So while I can see the additional request for a compass in the sim, for me I have all the tools that I require to land a 155mm round within a 10 figure grid with the standard method of "fire and adjust", just like when I did in the army. For my Regt it was off the tank range, as a secondary tasking to qual.

I always held the belief that pointing to a area on the map in the sim to call arty , was , sort of , game-e. It gives a false impression of how in real life it is taught, and done. I have seen that only with specialized arty equipment, and , or a specified arty veh to lase the target does this happen as in the mouse over the map and fire. The day to day calling from most non-arty troops (without the needed equipment) does not happens this way, rather the fire and adjust method.

I pretty sure NATO uses the fire and adjust , as I have been part of many arty training events at the lower level without the required Arty equipment in hand, though I will admit other nations could have and use other methods.

Hope I have been clear as mud.  :) as I step down from the soap box......

The (6400 mil) protractor [compass/kortmål] isn't my top wishlist item, but I certainly don't think protractors should be this controversial(!)  Their inclusion would unquestionably improve the appeal of the sim to FOs.  There's nothing gamey about using a protractor and map to manually pseudo-mensurate a target location in precisely the way we've been doing it for 100 years now.  If anything we should be debating which protractor would be best, for example the US Army's protractor is okay for OT direction and poor for measuring distance, especially when the range is greater than 1000 meters.

4 hours ago, Breakthrough7 said:

The (6400 mil) protractor [compass/kortmål] isn't my top wishlist item, but I certainly don't think protractors should be this controversial(!)  Their inclusion would unquestionably improve the appeal of the sim to FOs.  There's nothing gamey about using a protractor and map to manually pseudo-mensurate a target location in precisely the way we've been doing it for 100 years now.  If anything we should be debating which protractor would be best, for example the US Army's protractor is okay for OT direction and poor for measuring distance, especially when the range is greater than 1000 meters.

One can always print out a protractor of choice on transparent paper, and use it with the sim, and a standard one can be used also, done it both ways. It's just that simple, not to controversial(!)  I would think, right?

26 minutes ago, 12Alfa said:

One can always print out a protractor of choice on transparent paper, and use it with the sim, and a standard one can be used also, done it both ways. It's just that simple, not to controversial(!)  I would think, right?

Hey I like Arts and Crafts just as much or more than tankers like eating crayons.  Point is every time I slap my protractor onto the screen I think about how nice it'd be to have one in-game.  Anyways, it wasn't my wishlist item, I just thoroughly support it.  I did make a wishlist, if you're up to it, you should consider red-teaming it.

Indeed an in-game protractor for bearings would be needed in a vehicular simulator nontheless. Problem is I think devs are waiting for a specific military organisation request to include it and possibly many organisations dont or they dont have resources to put it on screen the physical thing. So until that contract comes, keep on trucking, Jack.