Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

18 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

Indeed an in-game protractor for bearings would be needed in a vehicular simulator nontheless.

Without re-opening the protractor conversation, no it isn't.

You navigate in a AFV by doing map to ground.

There is a church on my left and a copse of trees to my right, therefore I am here and I'm facing N / S / E or W.

I can refine that by lasing the church if needed to tell me exactly how far away it is, and therefore where I am.

The only time I've used a compass on an AFV was a sun compass in the desert, never a magnetic one.

• Members

Of course, "map to ground" only works in feature-rich landscapes combined with detailed maps. If one is missing (or both) and you don't have GPS (could have happened before, say, 1990/91), exact compass work and dead reckoning are the only navigation options left. But in that case calling for fire would be futile, I guess.

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

There is a church on my left and a copse of trees to my right, therefore I am here and I'm facing N / S / E or W.

I can refine that by lasing the church if needed to tell me exactly how far away it is, and therefore where I am.

The only time I've used a compass on an AFV was a sun compass in the desert, never a magnetic one.

That may be true but if that is the case why is there a get azimuth command and a corresponding mil/brg compass? If its feature rich landscape yeah but if not its like Nils said. Upto the Krakozian government contract to include a map screen compass really in a SB contract which may or may not reach the personal edition.

1 hour ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

That may be true but if that is the case why is there a get azimuth command and a corresponding mil/brg compass?

I think primarily to satisfy people (non military users) on this list.

1 hour ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

If its feature rich landscape yeah but if not its like Nils said. Upto the Krakozian government contract to include a map screen compass really in a SB contract which may or may not reach the personal edition.

Sure and that's why I'm pretty sure that we at least as a Defence user haven't asked for it - because we don't see a need for it.

Not to say some other country wont though.

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

If one is missing (or both) and you don't have GPS (could have happened before, say, 1990/91), exact compass work and dead reckoning are the only navigation options left. But in that case calling for fire would be futile, I guess.

Hence my comment about the only time I've used a compass, being when in the desert.

In that case, just revert to the currently existing vehicle / view orientation icon in the bottom right hand corner - assuming the scenario designer hasn't disabled it. :)

11 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I think primarily to satisfy people (non military users) on this list.

Sure and that's why I'm pretty sure that we at least as a Defence user haven't asked for it - because we don't see a need for it.

Not to say some other country wont though.

awaiting the Krakozian miracle 😂

22 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Of course, "map to ground" only works in feature-rich landscapes combined with detailed maps. If one is missing (or both) and you don't have GPS (could have happened before, say, 1990/91), exact compass work and dead reckoning are the only navigation options left. But in that case calling for fire would be futile, I guess.

Ahem ... :P

Astra.jpg

• 1 month later...

Whilst purposely avoiding the usual "how hard can it be" and "I have no idea, but it must be easy" type statements and also aware that this might need to be staffed up as a specific development request ...

Is it possible to create right hand drive versions of:

Unimog 1300 L/Supply

Unimog 1300 L/Troops

Unimog 1300 L/Medic

Pinzgauer 710M (for our friends across the "ditch")

MB 240GD

MB 240GD XO/CO

MAN SX45

MAN KAT1 8x8/Supply

I have spent the weekend working with some CSS types and this is their pet peeve - that the driver is on the "wrong" side of the cab.

Again I have no idea if this is a relative easy/simple tweak of the model (swapping some cab components) or a major re-work.

Also of secondary importance, most of our trucks have a "crew" of one.

If we select "Commander" they don't get the steering wheel in front of them. If the select "Driver" they have the steering wheel but are missing other Commander type options.

Perhaps we could have "vehicle options" for Left Hand Drive or Right Hand Drive as well as a two person crew or a one person crew, along similar lines to the MAN SX45 which currently has options to be "supply" or "fueler"?

On April 16, 2018 at 7:02 AM, Gibsonm said:

But I dont want to let church know I am here. Maybe church has enemy soldiers with laser warning receivers? Ones that tell something is painting us in laser? I want to be stealthy. Sneak up on enemy and hit them where the armour is thinnest. The derriere.

1 minute ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

But I dont want to let church know I am here. Maybe church has enemy soldiers with laser warning receivers? Ones that tell something is painting us in laser? I want to be stealthy. Sneak up on enemy and hit them where the armour is thinnest. The derriere.

Well then by all means park the 60 tonne tank, switch off, walk 50m so the compass works, do your nav, come back to the tank, start up (telling everyone within a few hundred metres where you are) and drive on the next leg.

Not sure if "stealthy" fits in that sentence?

I'd much rather keep the tank going at 60kph and use the mobility and shock action, but up to you. :)

21 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well then by all means park the 60 tonne tank, switch off, walk 50m so the compass works, do your nav, come back to the tank, start up (telling everyone within a few hundred metres where you are) and drive on the next leg.

Not sure if "stealthy" fits in that sentence?

I'd much rather keep the tank going at 60kph and use the mobility and shock action, but up to you. :)

You are right, I am in the wrong. 

Can the driver compartment be fully modeled in M1A1 at least? Sometime the trees stick me between them. And can you add ragdolls to the gunner position? toggle-able ragdolls? And can the gunner see past his cube into the TC position?

Is it possible to include A-10 attack aircraft? even as strafing effects only? Like giving 9 line using the fire support submenu for munitions 30mm API with direction in mils already there and burst of 1-1.5 seconds and a turn nose on target delay of 30 seconds?

Edited by wildbillkelsoe