Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Exit map to previous view - for example when I'm in TC's top view I hit F5 and go instantly to the map, but when I exit the map it drops me to the 'bottom rung' and I have to climb back up top.

Double click to 'Jump to Unit' - be a bit easier to double click on a unit icon rather than going through the menu.

Edited by Botas

1 hour ago, Botas said:

Exit map to previous view - foe example when I'm in TC's top view I hit F5 and go instantly to the map, but when I exit the map it drops me to the 'bottom rung' and I have to climb back up top.

I'm assuming you are happy for your Crew Commander to get shot at, suffer the effects of artillery, etc. whilst standing up as you are away looking at the map? :)

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

I'm assuming you are happy for your Crew Commander to get shot at, suffer the effects of artillery, etc. whilst standing up as you are away looking at the map? :)

Absolutely! Never liked the bugger, anyway!

Good point though. And if that's the rationale it would make sense to wait while the TC climbs down into the turret (as if pressing 'z' a couple of times) before getting to see the map, instead of it appearing instantly on hitting F5.

Edited by Botas

• Members

We take some liberties in the pursuit of a reasonably streamlined user interface. Striving for absolute realism by definition is detrimental to the UI, yet the UI is what decides about user acceptance. So, this is one of the rare cases where I will actually say: No.

On 28/08/2018 at 4:03 PM, Ssnake said:

We take some liberties in the pursuit of a reasonably streamlined user interface. Striving for absolute realism by definition is detrimental to the UI, yet the UI is what decides about user acceptance. So, this is one of the rare cases where I will actually say: No.

I'd like the platoon sitrep thingy

That could be useful

Also as I have mentioned before, that f**king cursor, whoever changed it from the small black cross cursor should be shot, if he survives, shoot him again.

No exceptions.

Edited by Hedgehog

It would definitely help me. :)

For example these are all different formations....

dWyDv3W.png

TnuBXjk.png

lIYoGVZ.png

YcJ2hao.png

Two of the formations have identical symbology while all four are so close visually that it takes me longer than a glance to decipher which formation is being represented.

Maybe I'm getting old but I'd love to see the formation name displayed.

Edited by Botas

On 8/28/2018 at 12:51 AM, Gibsonm said:

You've never used a map board while maneuvering?

I'd love to see something like this in game, obviously not with units on it, perhaps just graphics. 

map board.png

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

You've never used a map board while maneuvering?

No.

I used either a "contact" (a flexible, laminate type product that waterproofed the map) covered map in my tanksuit pocket (with permanent map marking / OHP pens) when on the vehicle or a larger map board in the ACV while in either SHQ or RHQ (TOC equivalent).

In both instances I'd look at the map inside the vehicle and look at the ground / surrounds when I had my headup - didn't need the distraction on the map when looking at the "near view". Also with your shoulders bracing your body in the hatch, you were hard pressed to put your hands up to control your binos, let alone manage a map board.

Those sorts of boards tended to be used on either courses or at TEWTs.

Edited by Gibsonm

7 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Can't say I agree with that logic. If an enemy can identify you from your map board then you're probably already too close - there are so many other signatures (thermal, audio, etc) that will be detected long before a 10x15" piece of plastic.

Think white square on green/cam AFV, it does stand out.

image.png.ed1bbd645c710beb81b80784a15ab85b.png

48 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

That tank is not camouflaged. 

I'm pretty sure, considering it is a captured vehicle, that they want all to see the white star. 

Now, picture if you will.A person with a map (white) in the turret roof.

My point seems lost. On our basic map training (think map 101) one of the rules is when reading a map (dismounted) place it on the ground, then unfold, as not to give your pos away.This applies to the AFV comdr, as he is above the ground and more visible with binos or the Mk1 eyeball. Bottom line, we just don't do it, or teach it to our young troops. Feel free to  if one feels it's a good idea. It becomes more of a (here I am) if covered with shiny plastic to mark on.

Detection:...Movement,shadows,colour (ie white on background), shine,straight lines, etc...  I'm pretty sure most armies teach these basic skills.

2 hours ago, 12Alfa said:

Think white square on green/cam AFV, it does stand out.

image.png.ed1bbd645c710beb81b80784a15ab85b.png

Are bigger than this map (and in a different location).

14329911_10208347488423687_6422737870321747588_n.jpg

Plus, most TCs I worked with had folded to about 8 1/2" by 11" and could fit it inside their jacket.  Many had a map case taped to their cupola so they wouldn't have to handle it much.

Edited by TSe419E

34 minutes ago, 12Alfa said:

Now, picture if you will.A person with a map (white) in the turret roof.

My point seems lost. On our basic map training (think map 101) one of the rules is when reading a map (dismounted) place it on the ground, then unfold, as not to give your pos away.This applies to the AFV comdr, as he is above the ground and more visible with binos or the Mk1 eyeball. Bottom line, we just don't do it, or teach it to our young troops. Feel free to  if one feels it's a good idea. It becomes more of a (here I am) if covered with shiny plastic to mark on.

Detection:...Movement,shadows,colour (ie white on background), shine,straight lines, etc...  I'm pretty sure most armies teach these basic skills.

I can't speak for every commander but from my training, I often have my map out. During my Armoued Recce Crew Commander course a common trick was to tie bungee cord around your sight-head (so it's facing you and not on the side of the optic, obviously) and place your map and contact sheet against it so that you can keep track of your position and the battle. Also, during Cbt Team level movement, if your not moving, you might have your map out to track the battle (I have never used a BLUFOR Tracker in my 8 year career and I'm not going to use my TIM sight and bring it off the direction of advance). When I'm navigating on the move, especially on black-tracks, I will often reference my map. I don't know the size of map board Apoc is speaking about, but any soldier can properly fold a map so you they only see the 10km x10km grid they are operating in. As for having being out of my hatch reading a map, how else am I suppose to track landmarks or triangulate my position without lifting my head. I'm not gonna bring my gun system off target on a vehicle with no independent CC sight to locate key terrain. But this idea that a commander can't have his map out on his vehicle isn't something I have seen unless we are doing live fire (hatches down, which is a safety call).

*Also, part of your sequence during adopting a position is to scan the immediate area around your vehicle to ensure you DON'T have any enemy forces in your area BEFORE you plot your position on a map and then track the battle*

Edited by Gunslinger668
More information

Alllways operated with my map folded as you say, attached to the inside of the hatch ring facing me, my head was out, shoulders at ring level.Easy to glance down to map on inside ring to confirm my pos, and the terrain. When operating the Cougar it was attached to cmders sight head (same as your Leo2 head), facing me and not the enemy.In theater I was using Blue Force Tracker in cab (MaxPro/Mrap), map in pants pocket that I seldom used, but was on top of the route if I needed to confirm as the BFT went down. GPS was used in dismounted ops with map, mostly GPS (civi) all wp per loaded from night before of of PC/Sat map.

During Trg we do stupid things, we learn when being out of hatch in a non-trg enviroment rather quickly IED blast near will strip all loose items from ones AFV in a second, I've seen ammo boxes,binos,gear, and yes maps. flying around.  Ever loose a map on the move, and find out a position later? I lost a map on the move on crse, never again, if not on me, its inside secured to veh.

But we each train and operate to ones experience, and what works for the person. I can, and have seen some different methods over the years from many armies.

2 hours ago, TSe419E said:

Are bigger than this map (and in a different location).

14329911_10208347488423687_6422737870321747588_n.jpg

Plus, most TCs I worked with had folded to about 8 1/2" by 11" and could fit it inside their jacket.  Many had a map case taped to their cupola so they wouldn't have to handle it much.

Did this myself for many years in training. Time and place for it, down range is not one of them.....they look cold!

16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...operating under conditions of

• largely no canopy
  • air dominance (if not supremacy)

The idea that enemy air is going to spot you by observation of a map is sort of laughable. First off, if it's fixed-wing CAS, they are probably flying at around 500ft and doing 250-300 knots. From converstions I have had with pilots, as well as JTACs, it is very hard for CAS to find a target using the most advanced thermal and radar detection gear, and usually they can only easily find units in the open, hence why almost all modern Armies require Joint Air Tactical Controllers. For Helicopters, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find gun-cam footage from any attack helicopter that is shot through a day camera, because once again, they hunt at high altitude with thermal, and last would be UAV/Drone use. From experience, small man-portable drones almost always use thermal to hunt for enemy vehicles, they are equip with day-time camera, but I've only ever heard it used to give very detailed descriptions on TAIs. As for high altitude drones, they hunt with thermal as well. While I won't discount that a recce helicopter, like the Gazelle, could in theory, ID a tank by a TC checking his map, I'd not be suprised if he was quickly knocked out by MG or Main gun fire (Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 tanks could effectively engage helicpters at low level through the use of the lead lock system).