Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Thank you both!

Yes, I did get stuck in a some what narrow stream once with a M113, but my guess was that I was hitting the sloped part beneath the water while trying to get across. Strangely enough the vehicle before me (another M113) did cross the same spot. Maybe I hit a rock :D

Well, good to know, new things to think on now.

Thanks!

BTW, before I asked about amphibious vehicles, I did check the M series as I stated before. The SB wiki does not say which vehicles are amphibious (like the M113A1), but it does state which are NOT amphibious. I havent checked them all, I went for the M series as that´s the most obvious one.

M113A1: (amphibious)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=M113A1

M113AS4: (not amphibious)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=M113AS4

and sorry for the off-topic here folks.

Red

- Merkava tank should be great, Merkava 1 and 2 and maybe merkava 3/ baz if not too much secret tank

- M1A2 SEP v2 with CROWS, DRVC, and why not add the possibility to use ARAT 1/ ARAT 2 /TUSK kit in option.

- M2A3 Bradley should be great with improved sights and CIV

- M1A1 AIM SA should be great. It's a all around M1A1, it can be used for US /ANG scenarios, australian and others M1A1 SA users and it's a very close tank to the USMC M1A1. 

- Stryker should be great

- if leclerc can't be done, other french AFV should be welcome like AMX-13, 30, 30B2, 40, 10RC, 10P.

On 2018-11-07 at 9:32 PM, Ssnake said:

If it swims, it swims, no matter how deep the water is.

Is there any way possible in a future update to add a fording feature of any armoured vehicles that have quick fording capabilities? An example would be the Leopard 2 series with their ability to ford water up to the top of the turret within minimum preparation. (2-5 mins prep time).

P.S. I apologize if this has been brought up in this thread before

Edited by Gunslinger668
Post Script

1 hour ago, Gunslinger668 said:

Is there any way possible in a future update to add a fording feature of any armoured vehicles that have quick fording capabilities? An example would be the Leopard 2 series with their ability to ford water up to the top of the turret within minimum preparation. (2-5 mins prep time).

P.S. I apologize if this has been brought up in this thread before

Well it takes a bit more than 2-5 mins.

If you do that without:

Bank recon

Recovery assets in place

etc.

Then your are risking a lot.

Deep Fording takes exponentially longer - turret seals, etc.

30 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well it takes a bit more than 2-5 mins.

If you do that without:

Bank recon

Recovery assets in place

etc.

Then your are risking a lot.

Deep Fording takes exponentially longer - turret seals, etc.

I agree with deep fording and operational planning, but preparing a Leopard 2A4, 2A4M, 2A6M CAN tanks for fording up to the top of the turret is extremely simple and only requires the placing of 3 plugs, the flick of 2 switches, a small hand pump and your ready to go (that is where my 2-5 min figure comes from, as I've done it with a crew timed). I am just curious because all that would be required to implement it would be a key combo if possible. Also, from a lot of the SB sces I have played, often players just look for a spot on the terrain where two fingers of land allow for a quick crossing of a river. Implementing a shallow fording (up to and not above the turret) ability would make it a bit for realistic IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, BlackDeath said:

What about a WW1 Mark smthg tank? After all, Esims logo represents it :)

I agree.

It would be great fun taking on a M1 or leo-2 in a WW1 tank

Max speed 5-MPH  Armour so thin you can nearly see through it.

Esim, will also have to replicate the crew suffocating from the engine fumes.

Also do they make a male or female variant. LoL

Still it would be fun.

Edited by Marko

• Members

I briefly considered the addition of WW1 tanks for a possible historical expansion around 1999/2000/2001, but the reality is that these tanks wouldn't be much fun to begin with, and require a huge effort with very little gain (aside satisfying the military history nerds in us).

• You'd need deep mud,
  • elaborate trench networks,
  • ideally in the historical locations,
  • you'd NEED multiplayer to switch gears,
  • you'd have unstabilized views (but you wouldn't see much anyway),
  • the master volume level should only allow the settings "maximum" and "infernal"
  • you'd need to play hours in real-time to just cover a handful of miles
  • you couldn't coordinate your actions with infantry, artillery, or other tanks for that matter
  • you wouldn't really know where you were, or whether your assault was effective until you ran out of fuel, or ammo, or luck

You might call it the grand post-modernist experience - but neither from an entertainment not a training & education point of view it would offer much, to be honest. We're not an art studio, eSim Games is a training company.

• Members
9 hours ago, Breakthrough7 said:

An additional 'drain region' option or variation of, whereby, units draining into the region remain in the destination drain region, rather than being returned to a spawn pool for respawning.

This is now filed under bug #6722 (even though it isn't a bug, technically speaking, but an enhancement/new feature request).

11 hours ago, delta6 said:

Artillery flares...For the ones that like to shoot people at night with out thermals or tis in the vehicles...

that's a good one...

I'd like to see a way for dismounts to fight at night. Currently, in-game dismounts (LMG/HMG, specifically) are equipped with NVG but cannot aim down weapon sights. Weapon lasers would be a good way to offset the need to model fancy thermal optics.

special-forces-laser-600.jpg

• Members

I wrote about this in depth before. The rub is in striking the balance between firing illumination too much, and too little for AI units. You would want to fire illumination if you SUSPECT enemy presence in your sector. Humans can act on gut feeling. But we need to find a binary rule for this. This is really hard.

A convoy situation is much easier to handle. If the first ship blows up, you start firing flares. That's pretty simple. And our AI will do that as soon as we have land convoys under threat of land subs. Okay, maybe that's needlessly sarkastic. I'm just saying here, the situation isn't comparable. There's illumination available only in limited quantity. AI can't shoot it all night; besides, that would announce their locations very well. Assuming that AI units will each have illumination for their sector for 15 minutes in total per day/night cycle and the time between last and first light is four hours, we need to weed out at least 94% of all false alarms. That's the target. If you're under fire already, well, that's absolute certainty that you're in contact. Fire the illumination at will. But that means ceding the moment of surprise completely to the side with better night vision equipment, IOW a losing proposal for classic WP forces. We need something better. And about three to six months of development time without interruptions.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to do. I'm just saying, it's nothing that you do on the side. The shader magic etc. isn't easy (you can't have too many dynamic light sources without overtaxing the graphics card) but it's probably the easiest part of the whole thing. The underlying high level AI is the real challenge. Officially, Steel Beasts doesn't support night combat, only extended twilight scenarios. For most training situations that's good enough. We haven't done nothing in the last years about this, but I want us to do it right, so I'm not rushing this job.