Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

8 minutes ago, Bond_Villian said:

Yes, im not referring to the zoom function though. Unmagnified it has better zoom and wider fov. I know it is meant to help with situational awareness but i just think it would take the 'realism' to the next level if it could be turned off, or altered to perhaps be lower to the ground, or something similar.

I'm pretty sure that can be disabled in the scenario editor already, and im sure SSnake is going to point that out.  But since many scenario files are PW protected perhaps it would be good to have a server side option to disable it as well.

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

I'm pretty sure that can be disabled in the scenario editor already, and im sure SSnake is going to point that out.  But since many scenario files are PW protected perhaps it would be good to have a server side option to disable it as well.

Don't think it can be disabled, V will set us straight.

That being said, I also would like the F7 view option (on/off) . My thinking is...it's all one has a a TC in RL if the scenario call for it.

Edited by 12Alfa

39 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Correct, F8 view is needed for a number of events, specifically if your tank dies, but also when visiting a vehicle that you don't own, and vehicles without crew positions. 

Yeah. So i guess the idea would be to give scenario designers the option of a nerfed observer view whilst retaining that ability to observe/control a vehicle from external view. Something as minor as repositioning the camera to the turret bustle/close to the rear of turret for example

Before removing the F8 view in MP some other stuff needs to be implemented that I atleast use F8 for as compensator.

• Standing on turret/raising higher up in TC position to observe over edges when observering/cresting
  • lean left/right to be able to see the right/left corner of the vehicle in dense terrain.
  • Crewable loader position so above can be done on the non-TC side.
  • toggable front corner indicators/bars that shows where the front corners are when you are driving in TC view, to often I bump and get stuck into trees when that a human driver would identify and that is also the reason why I often stand up in turret in TC when driving when experience tells me i should be further down the hole.

3 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Before removing the F8 view in MP some other stuff needs to be implemented that I atleast use F8 for as compensator.

• Standing on turret/raising higher up in TC position to observe over edges when observering/cresting
  • lean left/right to be able to see the right/left corner of the vehicle in dense terrain.
  • Crewable loader position so above can be done on the non-TC side.
  • toggable front corner indicators/bars that shows where the front corners are when you are driving in TC view, to often I bump and get stuck into trees when that a human driver would identify and that is also the reason why I often stand up in turret in TC when driving when experience tells me i should be further down the hole

Or it could not be "removed" and just be lowered to a point that still serves as an abstraction of all that stuff you mention, without enabling the player to see over and beyond hill crests and around corners from total concealment so easily.

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Correct, F8 view is needed for a number of events, specifically if your tank dies, but also when visiting a vehicle that you don't own, and vehicles without crew positions.

Well, as this is a "wish" list, and, sometimes wishes do come true.....I like to see all vehicles have at least a F7 view, and the unbuttoned view at a minimum (vision ports). This would make a lot more playable AFV's with (dare I say it) very little effort (runs for cover).

We have a lot of cool AFV's that we can't use....but would like too.

As for the "specifically if your tank die", can that user just be transported to the map in the CO's veh?

This way, the CO knows a player is without a veh, and the player has the map to follow the mission. 

Just a few thoughts on the issues, not criticism in any way. :)

• Members

I'm sure, some more or less convoluted solution could be found. But as you can see from the handful last posts, within a short time we could already identify a number of complications, and chances are that there are more complications branching out from those. At that point you start asking yourself whether it's a good allocation of development resources to capture all cases to make such a feature "user safe" when cointrasting it with all the other work that also needs to be done.

Don't get me wrong: It's perfectly fine to formulate such a request in this thread, it's a wishlist, after all.

But this is also a nice illustration as to why we haven't done it already. I think we tried this somewhere between 2.460 and 2.540, and gave up on it because we had overlooked some of the cases and it resulted in application crashes or freezes and fixing it didn't seem worth the effort (at the time we wanted to introduce better lighting, day/night changes, we had work to do on the Centauro etc., and that's basically the story of every wishlist item that's been around for ten, fifteen years. There's always something else to do that appears more urgent. Like, bouncing roadwheels which at some point became a bit of a running joke everytime they were brought up. I always said that eventually we'd do them, "just not now", and when the high-res terrain required us to implement it, we did. Also, it turned out to be a much bigger item than just an inconsequential eye candy effect since we had to find a solution that would work with up to 20,000 entities in a single scenario.

I understand why some of you want to eliminate the external observer's position. But at the end of the day this software has been designed with the observer's position as an intentional, "alsways there" kind of element, and a lot of features implicitly assume that such a position will always be available as a fallback option. Which makes this request inherently more difficult to work on than other features.

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I understand why some of you want to eliminate the external observer's position. But at the end of the day this software has been designed with the observer's position as an intentional, "alsways there" kind of element, and a lot of features implicitly assume that such a position will always be available as a fallback option. Which makes this request inherently more difficult to work on than other features. 

That makes sense. Although adjusting the camera height, zoom and fov could be a workable solution, and wouldnt 'upset the apple cart' much, if at all

You could ask the participants of an online session not to use the F8 view on the honor system. And if you think that someone is using it anyway, there is the option for the host to take screenshots of what each participant is seeing at any time. I would like to believe that most if not all members of this community would comply with such requests - and the same goes for a group of friends playing together. But, then again, that introduces a potential for conflict and is perhaps too much of a burden on the host to allow him/her to enjoy the session. IDK.