Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

17 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I would never think of making it mandatory.

Agreed.

Otherwise in many multi player missions you'll have a bunch of people sitting around twiddling their thumbs as they can no longer be "turret fairies".

Let alone the frequent SOP of people occupying "Observer" position in the CO's vehicle prior to mission start, to allow easier vehicle allocation.

Or if map updates are "off" a lot of kit will die because the owner will be away in one unit as they'll no longer be able to jump around to see what's going on.

Edited by Gibsonm

No, that is not a good idea. If you want to see why play a sub game like cold waters (plus others I have encountered), in that if the system decides that you haven't detected something it will not be drawn in the 3d world. This means you can be looking right at a potential target and it is not rendered. Then when the system decides something has been detected it will suddenly pop up in your view. We know with SB already that these issues exist, sometimes the AI will spot something that you cannot see, or more commonly that you can see something that the AI has not spotted. If that then stops something from being rendered it is bad.

Here's a wish I'd classify as quality of life improvement: Having Night Vission (personal Night Vision) as toggle state, or maybe ability to set it to default per unit/units. What I mean is: recently been playing some night ops with mechanized infantry (solo scenarios). There I got few platoons of IFVs with infantry. It's total dark out there, but each time I switch between the units, I have to tap the Night Vission button, cause the moment I leave one unit, to take a quick glance at another, and then back to the first unit, they already pull their NV off, and it's so tedious to constantly tap that button when you try to micromanage your units. I know units revert to their default state when left alone, that's okay, but could we maybe get ability to set that default to units, or have a toggle state where you always activate NV whenever possible (like with night ops missions)?

I would like to say to my troops: "Hey, guys, you are our main spotters, you're doing great, I'll go look at another squad and make sure they are in place. I'll be away for like 15 seconds... dont' take you night vision off, I beg you, I'll be right back" ;)

aaaand another wish: if you are in one of the "special" views, such as gunner sight, PERI, etc... and you want to have a quick look at the map, you have to go afterwards again through the process to arrive to that view again. Not a great deal, but when you are in a serious situation, a bit unnerving, specially when the IA may have moved your sight or when you are the TC and have to go again all up to the Hatch.

It´d be great to have a key to have a quick look to the map without abandoning your position, and that returns to that position pressing it again.

50 minutes ago, marques said:

aaaand another wish: if you are in one of the "special" views, such as gunner sight, PERI, etc... and you want to have a quick look at the map, you have to go afterwards again through the process to arrive to that view again. Not a great deal, but when you are in a serious situation, a bit unnerving, specially when the IA may have moved your sight or when you are the TC and have to go again all up to the Hatch.

It´d be great to have a key to have a quick look to the map without abandoning your position, and that returns to that position pressing it again.

I imagine it would be pretty hard to look at a map and look into a periscope etc at the same time! ;)

Not a content wish, but a general wish.  A low profile USB stick instead of the old school 2" stick that sticks out from my laptop.  I have a low profile one that holds 64Gb of data and cost $US5.99 as a one-off.  I would bet you can get 16Gb in quantity for much less than $US1

1 hour ago, will14 said:

would love to have a compass and map tools....

Not sure if you are aware but there is a compass of a type with the vehicle icon in the lower right corner of the 3D world showing orientation (facing top of screen = North, etc.). The scenario designer can disable it though.

Also you can get a bearing (shift K or Alt K or similar) too. I can't recall off hand as I' away from a copy.

Not sure what you mean by "map tools"?

Edited by Gibsonm

10 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Not sure if you are aware but there is a compass of a type with the vehicle icon in the lower right corner of the 3D world showing orientation (facing top of screen = North, etc.). The scenario designer can disable it though.

Also you can get a bearing (shift K or Alt K or similar) too. I can't recall off hand as I' away from a copy.

Not sure what you mean by "map tools"?

like a protractor Image result for map protractor pics

19 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

I imagine it would be pretty hard to look at a map and look into a periscope etc at the same time! ;)

well… the most anoying moment as I said is when you are TC and with the head fully out. You are there in real life normally when you are navigating and many times with your map at hand. But in SB if you look at the map, as it is treated like other station, when you hit the TC position key you return to the default position.

I get your point of realism when you are looking through a scope, but it is also true that in SB you are trying to do the job of a full crew at the same time. The gunner in reality is not worried about the map normally, because the TC Will make sure that he is pointing at the right direction. In SB you are the gunner and TC at the same time in that regard.

Would like this too. I think what we call the map view is actually a station, selecting it abandons the  previous crew station to AI and default behaviours occur.  So it might be more difficult than it first appears to implement a 'glimpse' view. However, some of the modern MBTs modelled in SB have a functional commanders display that can display a lower res map representation, so maybe? It wouldn't even have to be updated to be useful, a simple snapshot would simulate a glimpse. 

DBoy