Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

5 hours ago, dlad said:

the map view is actually a station, selecting it abandons the  previous crew station to AI and default behaviours occur.

Thats not entirely true, you remain in the station youre in. The AI doesnt take over...you just cant do anything else while looking at the map

OK, this would be gilding the lilly but I have to ask. I'd like to see the ability to view the events in an AAR for only a user-defined map area, so you could review each geographical subset of a larger battle at a time.

Edited by ChrisWerb
grammatical pedantry

2 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

OK, this would be gilding the lilly but I have to ask. I'd like to see the ability to view the events in an AAR for only a user-defined map area, so you could review each geographical subset of a larger battle at a time.

Already  done, select in AAR the map view, then roll the AAR and sit back and watch the battle below you for what ever height you pick, one can pan around while sitting still on the point of ground selected. It's fun to watch the events this way I find.

- Increase the max size of maps - preferably unlimited. 

- Ability to change (or simply make) the line for routes thicker (hard to see on higher resolutions).

- shortcut: When creating a route have a sub menu for selecting the formation at the same time (instead of having to find the small triangle and set it there each time). 

- Improve path logic so that vehicles no longer trying to drown themselves each time they see a bit of water :)

• Members
  1. No
  2. With new GUI, will take some time
  3. Maybe, with the new GUI
  4. You may want to check your settings. Many users have disabled the use of navmesh assisted routes by default; personally, I think that they should be enabled by default and disabled only if you hold down the Alt Key (something that should be remembered for UAV and helicopter flight paths).

8 hours ago, inexus said:

- Increase the max size of maps - preferably unlimited. 

Apparently inexus hasn't tried terrain editing in 4.1- Ive installed a 1tb ssd just for the sbpro "map packages" folder

and went from 16g of ddr4 ram to 48g to take full advantage of this feature.

That said being a wish list-

-The ability in the map editor to select an "area"  after choosing a map to edit. (just like mission editor)

So if your not going to use  lets say an entire 80 x 80km hd map area to edit - it will shorten the load and save times, perhaps save some hd space on that "temporary file" when

terrain editing

The above is one of the top asks on my list as well.  Its been mentioned several times in this thread and came up in the thread about the complexity inherent in SB.  Small battles or plans are manageable.  But for single player, its a killer to search for units.  A combination scroll-able unit and message window that could be separated from the main UI and shown on a second monitor would be best. when you have more than 8-10 units.

I'd also like to see as non-playable: 

• A Piranha as a stryker with proper dismounts and slat/era armor, as well as a properly located RWS.
  • A more modern T-72B3M
  • Bradley M2A3 and M3A3 with ERA
  • M3 Halftrack for use in Mideast wars
  • South African Ratel variants
  • T-10M
  • A few of the MT-LB variants, including an anti-tank variant
  • AMX-30B2
  • AMX-10RC
  • EE-9 armoured car for Iraq/Iran war and beyond
  • Some modern Chinese tanks and APCs, especially ones that sub in for Pakistan units.

I know that's a big list, its basically in order of what I would like to see to build more wargame-like scenarios for Angolan wars, Iran/Iraq, and a few potential modern conflicts.

Edited by thewood

2 hours ago, thewood said:

The above is one of the top asks on my list as well.  Its been mentioned several times in this thread and came up in the thread about the complexity inherent in SB.  Small battles or plans are manageable.  But for single player, its a killer to search for units.  A combination scroll-able unit and message window that could be separated from the main UI and shown on a second monitor would be best. when you have more than 8-10 units.

I'd also like to see as non-playable: 

• A Piranha as a stryker with proper dismounts and slat/era armor, as well as a properly located RWS.

Marked in bold,...

What do you mean by that?

The Piranha IIIH, which led to the LAV III, which led to the Stryker only seats 8 in game, while the Stryker seats 9 or 10 in the world.  The H also, for some reason, doesn't allow an RWS in SB.  While you can use the C, I am assuming real-world differences between between the C and the H are reflected in SB.  Namely mobility and some limited armor upgrades.   

I might have confused my self with this one.

5 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

Some GUI functionality that would enable the player to select/jump to any unit under his command. This is especially helpful if the 'map view' is disabled, otherwise you have to scroll through every unit on the battlefield until you find the one youre looking for.

So something other than the current Shift+F10, Alt+F10 and the other option (which I can't recall off hand) that takes you to the unit in contact (i.e. the one that generated the last text message)??

Yes, most definitely.  As you probably know, there can be multiple units being fired on.  And sometimes you want to jump back and forth quickly.  Or maybe jump to unit having pathing issues, etc.

I find this kind of weird that the concept of a "jump map"  or linked messaging, etc. is such a foreign concept.  I think it highlights the gulf between a simulation and wargame.  Here is the new version of Command that shows what I would expect.

screen_5d6d079b65fd1.jpg

Edited by thewood
Wrong pic

Well its a "wish list" after all and so you are welcome to wish for what you want.

Personally I think the current system is adequate (perhaps not perfect) since it reflects what you get in RL.

The radio says "0A this is 11, contact tank wait out" (using Australian call signs)

As the CO, I wrote the orders and I've received SITREPS and LOCSTATS so I know roughly where "11" is. In player terms I've set the routes for it, etc.

I then would receive a full contact report including a Grid. This is pretty much the same as the scroll text gets me.

I do not get a message appearing on my BMS (tagged to the unit mil symbol), or some flashing icon, or similar.

The current setup certainly ticks the "train as you fight" box for us.

Edited by Gibsonm

2 hours ago, thewood said:

And as I said, it shows the divide between simulation and wargame.  And also as has been said before, you, as a player, don't have to use it.

And your point is?

The eSim Games Home page quite clearly say ' Our main product is Steel Beasts Professional, which is available in two variants, the classroom version for collective military training and the personal edition, Steel Beasts Pro PE, suitable for exploratory learning in self-study and distance learning. '

https://www.esimgames.com/

No mention of war game there.