Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

???

Anything can be OPFOR equipment. You can have M1s vs Leopards or whatever you desire.

In fact you can play Russians as Blue and have NATO as OPFOR, if you create the scenario that way.

True enough but most tend to think of Blue as Nato/west and Red as a possible/most likely adversarial nation. China, North Korea, Iran etc.

I doubt there are many United Kingdom vs Australia scenarios made for example. To a Russian player the U.S. would be OPFOR.

Perhaps I should say likely opposing nations to Western countries such as U.S. UK, France etc. The only one really represented is Russia.

Just seems awkward to explain.

58 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

True enough but most tend to think of Blue as Nato/west and Red as a possible/most likely adversarial nation. China, North Korea, Iran etc.

I doubt there are many United Kingdom vs Australia scenarios made for example. To a Russian player the U.S. would be OPFOR.

Perhaps I should say likely opposing nations to Western countries such as U.S. UK, France etc. The only one really represented is Russia.

Just seems awkward to explain.

So it might be clearer to list the countries and possible equipment.

16 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

In retrospect , yes :)

What I am wishing for is a small AI vehicle patch (Not requiring game improvements ) For China, North Korea and Iran. Maybe 8 or so vehicles total.

You do know there are nations, camouflage and vehicle textures (that someone did!!) for East Germany, Czechoslovakia , China (1970s and modern), USSR, Russia(Contemporary) and Ukraine?

14 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

You do know there are nations, camouflage and vehicle textures (that someone did!!) for East Germany, Czechoslovakia , China (1970s and modern), USSR, Russia(Contemporary) and Ukraine?

Yes , but they are using lookalikes or some of those nations are in game now

In the case of China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_People's_Liberation_Army_Ground_Force

The BMP 3 would be somewhat close to a Chinese APC externally. I see nothing like their type 96 for example.

In the case of China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_People's_Liberation_Army_Ground_Force

The BMP 3 would be somewhat close to a Chinese APC externally. I see nothing like their type 96 for example.

Thanks for the textures BTW , I do use some of them :)

6 hours ago, Parachuteprone said:

In the case of China

Im still in doubt to what really you're saying. By patch, do you mean marking?  If so, are you aware that textures snd skins are widely moddable? You can create any skin and "patch" to any vehicle as you like.

13 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

Im still in doubt to what really you're saying. By patch, do you mean marking?  If so, are you aware that textures snd skins are widely moddable? You can create any skin and "patch" to any vehicle as you like.

No, a small vehicle only release to add some AI vehicles that I think are likely to be adversarial to the West.

Realistically, I would guess that, because of the very significant investment involved, most if not all new vehicles introduced to SB from now on, are going to be paid for by military customers or created with the intent of wooing military customers and keeping the product relevant. That's why we have particularly seen highly detailed playable vehicles used by NL and Belgium, plus Russian OPFOR non-playable "prototypes" appear recently, for example. It's a big ask to request a completely new vehicle, so I tend to avoid it.  

Edited by ChrisWerb

Yes, there are a bunch of "nostalgia" vehicles in there, but AFAIK none have been added recently and even minor mods to existing older vehicles (for instance an earlier Leo 1 with passive IR sights which keeps getting requested) have not happened - I hope that changes. My favourite and far and away most used vehicle in SB is the Leo2A4. I would not ask someone for a labour of love on my behalf, though. That's just me.

Edited by ChrisWerb

22 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

Yes, there are a bunch of "nostalgia" vehicles in there, but AFAIK none have been added recently and even minor mods to existing older vehicles (for instance an earlier Leo 1 with passive IR sights which keeps getting requested) have not happened - I hope that changes. My favourite and far and away most used vehicle in SB is the Leo2A4. I would not ask someone for a labour of love on my behalf, though. That's just me.

BTR-80, BTR-82A, ACRV, SA-9

4 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

BTR-80, BTR-82A, ACRV, SA-9

Those are all current and in (sometimes widespread) service so relevant to current military customers as OPFOR. Not really nostalgia vehicles IMHO. AFAIK Jpz Rakete (HOT) and Spahpanzer Luchs by comparison aren't in service with anyone anymore and others are getting rare, or extinct, at least in Europe (Leo1A5, M60A3, M901, T-62).

2 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

BTR-80

OK, "often happened" ... I'm not being critical, just acknowledging that making vehicles, and playable ones in particular must be orders of magnitude more work than some of the other things requested, some of which have application right across SB, I am completely in awe of the vehicle interiors in particular. In fact, at 54 years old, I'm awestruck every time I play SB, and the only other simulation can say that about is Harpoon/CMANO.

You could do this already by setting the artillery as available to FO only in the scenario editor, coupled with a 'damage if/  radio' event (for the FO, or the artillery itself if its on the map) based on time or random variable or whatever you want. It could be made available again in the same way ('repair if / radio'). The event that causes the damage can have a sound file and/or dialogue associated with it.

Edited by Bond_Villian