Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Since we will never be able to get a dynamic campaign a la m1 tank platoon ii or Steel Armor, I wish we could, at least, get something like Panzer Elite type of campaigns. You know, with upgrading the crew, the tank, refuel, repair. Stuff like that. 

Edit: And Dx11/12 or Vulkan. I want to crank those graphics to the max! Haha

Edited by drcancerman

On 9/28/2020 at 1:56 PM, Major duck said:

a multi treaded/Multicore Client/server so we can run bigger scenarios (and actually use more then 1 core) without trouble and an import function to EU 2 meter laser maps.

And my greatest wish a M41 Dk1

MD 

+++1 on that.

And add - No 3D graphics - Dedicated Server exe. So we can run these on servers without needing GPU.  

7 minutes ago, ashdivay said:

+++1 on that.

And add - No 3D graphics - Dedicated Server exe. So we can run these on servers without needing GPU.  

Well how about we make that optional?

Some / many use the server application, but participate as well, rather than running two instances (1 x server and 1 x client) on the same machine.

6 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well how about we make that optional?

Some / many use the server application, but participate as well, rather than running two instances (1 x server and 1 x client) on the same machine.

Yes if there was a way to disable the need for GPU before starting a server. It will give flexibility. 

But could be more complex to implement. 

Non-GPU dedicated version is for pure server client environment where raw power of processor and large amount of ram could be utilized. 

But since SB can only use single thread its really not relevant. 

It would also be useful for someone who wants to host SB session with server living on a cloud platform such as google , AWS etc. We can add a gpu there but it cost lot more. 

It would be nice to have non-gpu version of exe just for scenario like that.

I can dream for now.

Edited by ashdivay

10 minutes ago, ashdivay said:

Yes if there was a way to disable the need for GPU before starting a server. It will give flexibility. 

But could be more complex to implement. 

Non-GPU dedicated version is for pure server client environment where raw power of processor and large amount of ram could be utilized. 

But since SB can only use single thread its really not relevant. 

It would also be useful for someone who wants to host SB session with server living on a cloud platform such as google , AWS etc. We can add a gpu there but it cost lot more. 

It would be nice to have non-gpu version of exe just for scenario like that.

I can dream for now.

Yes but it would be crap for people who want to host and play and don't own a data centre.

If you have one machine you are then driven to choose - do you host for others and come back in X hours (because you can't play) or do you play and limit participants to 8.

Definitely without 3d Interface as that really put a lot of unnecessary load on the server , if you cant afford to buy a server or old PC to let it run on then you are shit out of luck and tell me of 1 out of our virtual orgs that dossent own an extra PC/Server which they can run it on or rent a online server that can.

This is really a non issue and in a real client server environment shouldn't be discussed at all, you cant have new functionality without making some kind of sacrifice and this shouldn't even be considered if you know anything about client server functionality.

MD

1 hour ago, Major duck said:

Definitely without 3d Interface as that really put a lot of unnecessary load on the server , if you cant afford to buy a server or old PC to let it run on then you are shit out of luck and tell me of 1 out of our virtual orgs that dossent own an extra PC/Server which they can run it on or rent a online server that can.

Well the fact that I'm posted should tell you "one".

Also its not good for the military version as we use interchangeable hardware as required (today's server, might be a client tomorrow).

Lastly its adding a barrier to entry to any new comers. "Want to host a session, sure just invest $X thousand in dedicated hardware that you can't use for anything else".

In any case its a wish list - you wish for it, I don't (or at least would like it optional).

Edited by Gibsonm

Its good to see that people want to stay all nice and warm and cozy in their old ways while sacrificing progress.  Thats the community I know.  I was worried there for a bit.  But we all know the devs have to cater to those 1-2 hardcores who can't seem to learn new ways of doing things.  "I want new things as long as nothing changes"  I can almost hear the community growing.

I know there's a lot of sarcasm in there.  But there's just too much to in to point out all of it.  This thread should be titled "Steel Beasts Content Wishlist with Options for not Having to Use Any of That Content.  Nothing like making it easier for the devs to build a better community.

Edited by thewood

15 minutes ago, thewood said:

Its good to see that people want to stay all nice and warm and cozy in their old ways while sacrificing progress.  Thats the community I know.  I was worried there for a bit.  But we all know the devs have to cater to those 1-2 hardcores who can't seem to learn new ways of doing things.  "I want new things as long as nothing changes"  I can almost hear the community growing.

I know there's a lot of sarcasm in there.  But there's just too much to in to point out all of it.  This thread should be titled "Steel Beasts Content Wishlist with Options for not Having to Use Any of That Content.  Nothing like making it easier for the devs to build a better community.

I also don't understand why we talk about the PRO version in this thread or on these forums at all.

Want something bad enough in your PRO version? Secure the funding via your Army's simulation branch and request it to eSim. We in the PE version shouldn't have to suffer for it.

• Members

The point of this thread is to let everybody voice his preferences. That, if multiple people express their wishes, some of them may be contradictory, is pretty much a given. The community is not a hive mind. Insofar I find this critique unfair, as it juxtaposes different opinions from different people as if they were coming from a single body. That simply isn't the case.

Also, I think I made clear that eSim is working on an entirely new engine that will no longer use DirectX 9, that an explicit and major goal of this engine is to separate the render loop from the simulation loop, and as a natural consequence of that a server that doesn't need a graphics card in order to host a session appears quite feasible, possibly via command line switch. Insofar we'll be able to maintain established hosting procedures as well as allowing people with a dedicated gaming server to run SB Pro  without the need for a graphics card.

Everybody wins.

Can we move on now, please?

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The point of this thread is to let everybody voice his preferences. That, if multiple people express their wishes, some of them may be contradictory, is pretty much a given. The community is not a hive mind. Insofar I find this critique unfair, as it juxtaposes different opinions from different people as if they were coming from a single body. That simply isn't the case.

Also, I think I made clear that eSim is working on an entirely new engine that will no longer use DirectX 9, that an explicit and major goal of this engine is to separate the render loop from the simulation loop, and as a natural consequence of that a server that doesn't need a graphics card in order to host a session appears quite feasible, possibly via command line switch. Insofar we'll be able to maintain established hosting procedures as well as allowing people with a dedicated gaming server to run SB Pro  without the need for a graphics card.

Everybody wins.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Everybody wins.

Is it still too early to ask what api will the new engine have?

Edited by stormrider_sp

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Everybody wins.

Nice! Keep up the good work!

On 10/1/2020 at 11:13 PM, Ssnake said:

Everybody wins.

You made me happy , now just take my money and make it happen. Just kidding.

Thanks for the info.

• Members
20 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

Is it still too early to ask what api will the new engine have?

We picked one. We're trying to make it work. If it doesn't, we'd pick another. As far as end-users are concerned, it could be powered by a hamster in a wheel ... as long as it works, right?

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

We picked one. We're trying to make it work. If it doesn't, we'd pick another. As far as end-users are concerned, it could be powered by a hamster in a wheel ... as long as it works, right?

Thank you. Looking forward to this next upgrade. it's looking as the new best.