Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Isnt it time that the little guns had their day in the sun too?

Perhaps im in a very small minority on this, but i would be very excited to see basic crewability (no 3d interiors) of the existing older kit thats already in game.

Im talking about these guys;

Scorpion

PT76

AMX13

BMP1

BMD

Having these as crewable would be awesome fun, would increase the depth and range of scenario possibilities, and would expand the stable of vehicles in the game with (i suppose) relatively little investment of resources compared to making something from scratch. I imagine that the various sights/periscopes and FCS involved would be fairly basic/low tech, and the ammunition and ballistics etc are already made to an extent (the AI can use it).

A man can dream :)

Edited by Bond_Villian
*coughCHIEFTAINcough*

1 hour ago, Deus Mechanicus said:

Not sure if it's been suggested before, but I'd love to see the Chieftain added as a crewable vehicle. I know the MoD can be tricky to work with but I don't think the insides of it are classified any longer, given that you can climb inside one at several places around the UK.

Just did a search on "Chieftain".  At least a dozen times.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been said a million times and that it's not a primary focus of SB, but just making infantry participation more realistic in a number of ways would greatly add to the enjoyment of SB. I'm going to post this just to keep the dream alive :)

1) Infantry fighting positions of varying degrees of hardness and permanence, with and without overhead cover. Also to house support weapons. Also the ability to internally reinforce houses with sandbags etc.
2) Varying degrees of concealment settable for all infantry in all positions.
3) The ability of infantry to pop up, shoot, for instance an anti tank weapon, and pop down again.
4) Covered movement between alternate firing positions.
5) The ability for one infantry unit to carry more than one type of AT weapon (yes, this can be worked around, but it's a bit of a pain).
6) The ability to directly attack tanks with explosive charges. thrown mines, RKG-3M type weapons.
7) First person ability to shoot any infantry weapon.

8 Rifle grenade use to be not only first person

9) Anti materiel rifles - also first person capable
10) Snipers to be opened up to non high value targets.

11) In my dreams, Swiss M1954 20mm LAA cannon and 9cm M1950 and M1957 and 10.6cm M1958 AT guns.

12) Flare illumination, both white light and IR.

Edited by ChrisWerb

On 11/19/2020 at 9:03 AM, JLS02 said:

A pilot able Apache Long Bow Attack Helicopter with associated armaments

Even if the simulation/control/level of detail is not up to the standard of an actual helicopter sim.  I understand that this is a Tank/PC/Truck sim and want it to stay that way, but given that helicopters are potentially quite deadly when used properly and also kinda derp-tarded when the AI is in control it would be nice to be able to get into the gunner's seat and continue to use the current level os WASDQZ control we have over the flight.

Problem: In the Fire support menue you only see X amount of tubes of certain weapon type (Mortar or Arty). This limits the use of indirect fire when you need to have X tubes covering while X tubes regroups or are away reloading. Sometimes when you choose example 4 tubes you starts using a unit who have 6 tubes and only fire 4 of them while the unit having 4 tubes are not used. This all together makes it a bit hard to be effective with indirect fire on larger scale.

Request: 

In the Fire support window, instead of choosing amount of guns you can choose callsign and then amount of tubes from that callsign. so for example :

"1/D (M109)" + "6 tubes"  ("Callsign, Type of Gun" "Amount of available tubes in that callsign"

I havent figured out a smooth solution if you want to fire several batteries at the same time, but Im sure there is one.

7 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

I havent figured out a smooth solution if you want to fire several batteries at the same time, but Im sure there is one.

At the moment in SB  you 2 options:

12+ tubes firing at the same target area of 400m x 400m using a single fire mission

or

Use the Time on Target method (Under fire control method drop down menu Default "Fire when ready") to have 2 batteries firing at two target areas at the same time.

You will need at least 5 minutes to program everything if you're quick,

As you need to account for the time to configur the subsequent fire missions and the prep time of the additional batteries as well.

E.G. Mission time = H+10 minutes and Impact is required at H+20 minutes you have 10 minutes to get everything set up which is possible for 3 maybe 4 batteries.

I'm not really sure how SB assigns fire missions to batteries.

This is something that'd be useful to control, in the action phase. <- my wish (& Katie's)

I think it goes:

Mission 1 = 1st highest callsign battery

Mission 2 = 2nd highest callsign battery

Mission 3 = 3rd  highest callsign battery etc

And if the battery is not in range and/or out of appropriate ammo, (When you get a constant "Waiting for Approval" message) I think it skips down the list, and then recycles back to the start.

If the assignment method could be revealed it'd help mission designers immensly.

Edited by Hedgehog

Currently .pln files do not work if you modify the original scenario they are built off of in any manner. Being able to use them on modified scenarios would be an absolute godsend. I've done my share of having to recreate an entire .pln because someone forgot to change the default AT-4s that the infantry carried to Carl-Gs, etc. 😑

I understand that there might be an issue with units removed, call-signs changed, etc. If so, just allow the importation of map graphics only. 

14 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Currently .pln files do not work if you modify the original scenario they are built off of in any manner. Being able to use them on modified scenarios would be an absolute godsend. I've done my share of having to recreate an entire .pln because someone forgot to change the default AT-4s that the infantry carried to Carl-Gs, etc. 😑

I understand that there might be an issue with units removed, call-signs changed, etc. If so, just allow the importation of map graphics only. 

+2

The current system is a pain in the ....

MD

23 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Problem: In the Fire support menue you only see X amount of tubes of certain weapon type (Mortar or Arty). This limits the use of indirect fire when you need to have X tubes covering while X tubes regroups or are away reloading. Sometimes when you choose example 4 tubes you starts using a unit who have 6 tubes and only fire 4 of them while the unit having 4 tubes are not used. This all together makes it a bit hard to be effective with indirect fire on larger scale.

Request: 

In the Fire support window, instead of choosing amount of guns you can choose callsign and then amount of tubes from that callsign. so for example :

"1/D (M109)" + "6 tubes"  ("Callsign, Type of Gun" "Amount of available tubes in that callsign"

Also maybe a Matrix on who can fire with witch weapons like if my PLT/Coy have medium (81mm Mortars) that only they can fire them and only the FOs can fire with arty etc... almost like the one you use with more then 2 sides where you have red  and blue side and then maybe a green and yellow side as well
And as i have been in the arty i can attest that arty never ever fire with anything less then all of their guns pr unit unless its a precision fire with either self/laser/GPS guided rounds so instead of number of tubes it should be a matrix with checkmarkes where you put a checkmark on those that should participate in the fire so that matrix should also show if a BTY is currently firing and therefor unavailable or Moving etc...

MD

Edited by Major duck

1 hour ago, Major duck said:

Also maybe a Matrix on who can fire with witch weapons like if my PLT/Coy have medium (81mm Mortars) that only they can fire them and only the FOs can fire with arty etc... almost like the one you use with more then 2 sides where you have red  and blue side and then maybe a green and yellow side as well
And as i have been in the arty i can attest that arty never ever fire with anything less then all of their guns pr unit unless its a precision fire with either self/laser/GPS guided rounds so instead of number of tubes it should be a matrix with checkmarkes where you put a checkmark on those that should participate in the fire so that matrix should also show if a BTY is currently firing and therefor unavailable or Moving etc...

MD

Hmm, we had to option to use our mortar platoon splitt into 2 sections...to provide 2 missions at once and to not make one target for counter battery fire/direct attack...