Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Id like to see more deciduos trees and especially   birch-trees   of different sizes  on trees of theme editor.

It is something that i seem to miss a lot in steelbeast.  Especially in nothern maps  Finland / sweden / russia   it is our third most numerous tree species I cut a lot of it down every year...  perhaps second most after pine trees. though that is because i do thinnings and birch is kind of... a pest to be removed.  It is not cultivated much because it spreads naturally to almost everywhere.  And we have quite lot of forest areas that are dedicated to birch trees  (usually pruce grows below it as birch is kind of sheltering tree for it)  It is also loved because of its white spotty bark, and beautiful autumn colors in fall.  

northern maps look so weird without it, 

valkeat-rungot-usvassa_-helinukki.jpg

valokuvatapetit-koivu-puu-polku.jpg.jpg

i would also love to have more than two forest options. 4 would be good... and perhaps in future we could get option to be able to define size of single trees or trees in forest brush. not only what tree is used, so that we could get more variation on lanscape in how grown up different forest are.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:12 AM, Ssnake said:

We would certainly welcome reticule diagrams if you can find them.

You have them already.

M1, M60 (& M48) Primary sights?

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=File:M1A1(HA)_GPS_reticle.jpg

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=File:TTS_Daylight_8x.jpg

They all use the NATO standard sight grad pattern, yes?

Leo 2 has the slightly different Grad pattern (M1 Minus the outer horizontal lines)

British? Well, we use our own system.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:31 PM, Iarmor said:

The aiming reticule currently modeled in SB for the Shot Cal might be suitable for a playable Centurion Mk.5/2 of the British army, but I doubt it was present on Israeli L7-gunned Shot tanks, surely not on Shot Cals. The Israeli Shots were fitted with NATO Standard Sights when they were fitted with L7 guns, for standardization with the newly-acquired M48s. That started in the mid-'60s, several years before the Continental engine was first fitted to the Shot in 1970.

The Shot/Shot Cal gunner used a range drum to set the gun elevation after the TC had estimated the range. The range drum had different scale markings (in meters) for each type of round: L-28, L-52, WP, HESH, HEAT, Flechette (following the 1973 war) and coax mg. 

As a broad brush stroke implementation:

I'd suggest reusing the Leo AS1 ballistic computer model as the Range Drum (Which is effectivly an Analog Ballistic computer), rework it to remove the LRF and Lead functions replace the Grad pattern with that of the M60 and voila.

And while your coding these changes, if you could "port over" the existing Sho't Kal sight and crew ability to the Cent Mk5/2, (only Mks 10, 11 & 12 had a Ranging Machine Gun.) as well that'd be a a reuse of prior work, which wouldn't be wasted, and B, gets us users another playable vehicle.

(The pintle .50 would need addressing too, not sure the RAC was as fond of welding .50s to the roof like our American friends are..)

I understand easier said than done but what I'm saying is eSim should have all the parts needed already.

The issue is the "Out of work hours" programming time to code the changes.

(Maybe I should learn C++ ? )

Also the M60 FCS programming is a bit broken.

Turn off the LRF and everything else FCS wise seems to stop working.

But then I think that's on the_List already

***ALL HAIL the_List***

14 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

You have them already.

M1, M60 (& M48) Primary sights?

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=File:M1A1(HA)_GPS_reticle.jpg

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=File:TTS_Daylight_8x.jpg

They all use the NATO standard sight grad pattern, yes?

Leo 2 has the slightly different Grad pattern (M1 Minus the outer horizontal lines)

British? Well, we use our own system.

Nope they don't...

And they pattern of Leopard and M1 is quiete different,,,,

On 4/2/2021 at 6:21 AM, DarkAngel said:

I thought there was a difference between canister and Beehive. Beehive explodes at a set distance.

Cannister is like a shotgun in that it starts to spread from the muzzle. It typically uses spherical shot. Example US M1028 120mm. 

Beehive uses flechettes and typically (as in the US 105mm howitzer M546 APERS-T and M494 APERS-T for the M68 105mm tank gun) uses a time fuze (in this case mechanical) to set where it starts to disperse. In both these cases the fuze is capable of muzzle action, so the round doubles as a (presumably less efficient) cannister projectile. 

There are quite a few full calibre time-fused rounds out there now which don't use flechettes and are effectively time fuzed HE-FRAG. For example the Israeli 105mm APAM-MP-T M117/1 for the M68 105mm. This can function in timed airburst, superfast impact and fractional delay after impact modes. The 120mm equivalent is the M339.

• Members

(...not that flechettes offer any discernible exterior or terminal ballistic advantage over spherical pellets of the same mass. Most of their energy is wasted to get them oriented in the air flow, and most of them impact when that process isn't finished, so...)

13 hours ago, Ssnake said:

(...not that flechettes offer any discernible exterior or terminal ballistic advantage over spherical pellets of the same mass. Most of their energy is wasted to get them oriented in the air flow, and most of them impact when that process isn't finished, so...)

You still wouldn't want to be hit by one though.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:12 AM, Ssnake said:

We would certainly welcome reticule diagrams if you can find them.

Scale markings of Shot tank's range drum, 1979

Left to right: armor piercing L-28, HESH (also for WP), HEAT, anti personnel (Flechette), coax 7.62 mm, improved armor piercing L-52.

Upper left: smoke (HC?); upper right: NATO mils.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:34 PM, Hedgehog said:

That's what the M60A3 had. The M60A1 and its predecessors (and the Israeli Centurion) had an earlier version of the NATO Standard Sight:

http://www.kotsch88.de/feuerleit/M48/m-48-7-2a.jpg

I may have mentioned this before, but ...

A "DNS like" feature so that Host names can be saved as being more human readable.

e.g. instead of XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, the ability to create an entry that says "TGIF - Sean" or similar.

That way your Server list becomes something like:

TGIF - Sean

TGIF - Tankhunter

BG ANZAC - Gibson

Kanium - Assassin

etc.

The user would then need to edit those entries to reflect a Host's IP address changing, but it might remove one more friction point.

On 4/28/2021 at 5:21 PM, Iarmor said:

Scale markings of Shot tank's range drum, 1979

Left to right: armor piercing L-28, HESH (also for WP), HEAT, anti personnel (Flechette), coax 7.62 mm, improved armor piercing L-52.

Upper left: smoke (HC?); upper right: NATO mils.

That's what the M60A3 had. The M60A1 and its predecessors (and the Israeli Centurion) had an earlier version of the NATO Standard Sight:

http://www.kotsch88.de/feuerleit/M48/m-48-7-2a.jpg

Would you share some documentation/ information on this "NATO Standard Sight".

In my many years using Nato sights, I have never seen , or heard of this nomenclature regarding such equipment.

Nor, can I find anything on the web.

I believe (correct, or not) this is a myth, as NATO had many MBTS with different sights offered.

Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: Don't read into to this question for some hidden meaning..:)

46 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Wish: Join in Progress

Or

At least a more stable option to what we have now. It seems like a 50/50 if the game will be de-sync'd at re-start of a 'disrupt in progress', as some call it. 

hey, thanks to the M61 bug, we had a game with 20+ pause and rejoins ...they worked 😕

5 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Wish: Join in Progress

Or

At least a more stable option to what we have now. It seems like a 50/50 if the game will be de-sync'd at re-start of a 'disrupt in progress', as some call it. 

I believe that de-sync is caused by something else than join in progress.  To my exprerience it's likehood is increased every time host opens new session on Steelbeast.  So to have best change for least DE-synch  I recommend that who ever is host.  To very least, restart Steelbeast,  perhaps whole pc, would be good to be restarted before longer MP session.  

If not..  likehood for...  weird De-synch stuff increases.  Especially if clients have little bit of lag or packet loss.  

I have done lot of join in progress and it doesn't seem to be cause to de-synch, I have a hunch that reason could be that somehow... there is something dublicated or partially written / missed   every time new session begins, and it just makes it worse, but biggest factor is probably time that host (and perhaps client) has had Steelbeast open.  It is as if recording of something...  just cannot keep up if its not refreshed.  

The ability to copy and paste routes, etc. between scenarios.

I have some templates that I like to use (such as a MR Coy going from a Coy in Column to PLs in Columns to PLs in line at set distances to reflect an attack).

Such as:

SS_14_41_12.thumb.jpg.0f331d3ceef38fb8f08679e4b369c4a5.jpg

I appreciate that what I could do is save these off map in a given scenario, then save it as a new name and change the map, units, settings, briefings, etc. in order to access these route chains, but it would make it far simpler if I could run two sessions with the original source scenario open in one and the new scenario open in the other and copy and paste between the two, rather than start from scratch every time.

Alternatively along similar lines to the unit templates, could we have some sort of scratchpad or ability to save commonly used routes / route chains in a file somewhere and then import, or copy and paste from, that scrapbook as required?

Edited by Gibsonm