Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

I'm all for track marks, just not as a mere visual gimmick. I want them to be persistent, and that requires an effort that goes beyond some simple shader magic.

Yeah I imagine unless the engine is purpose built with it in mind it would be hard on a large scale.

I have been very impressed with the craters from explosions and the functioning bulldozers though. When playing apocs Baghlan mission the massive craters left from the vbieds were really cool to see.

• Members

Well, I want the dozers to be able to fill craters again with the rubble arounnd them as emergency repairs. But of course there's a lot else going on, so I have to prioritize. Track marks aren't up there at the moment, to be perfectly honest. And because everything is connected with everything I've become a bit cautious about "just doing it and worry about consequences later". It's awesome as long as your past sins aren't catching up with you ... but eventually they will, and present the bill with a hefty interest. So we need to be a bit more deliberate in our development planning.

4 hours ago, Poofydoodle said:

I think maybe what the poster wanted wasnt so much incredibly detailed stuck vehicle simulatiom but to have vehicle tracks tearing up terrain and digging themselves in on wet terrain but I imagine to calculate that in a way that it wouldnt look awful in a sim that has tons of ballistic calculations going in would be challenging.  Games like spintires and mudrunner are only processing driving leaving a lot of power for detailed ground physics.

But even just having vehicles leaving little tracks would be very cool and it could actually serve a tactical use where you could potentially see where that wheeled pc just tore through that soft ground to get to cover.

Yes, any sort of terrain manipulation would be great. Mud adds atmosphere.

I'm just glad it's even being considered.

Don't think we will see it any time soon. Although I believe artillery fire destruction is in the works ?

• Members

A new engine is in the works. It's too early to say what will be technically feasible (and at what price, as far as computing hardware and development effort are concerned) ... but of course we don't change engines just to keep things exactly the way they are. At the same time, as long as we're working on laying the foundation of coming work, we can't keep the feature mill cranking in high gear.

2 hours ago, Retro said:

I like its when people point out: we are at half time and have 90% of the project tasks done...we are way ahead of schedule.  I just lean back and smile....

Yeah, people haven't finished or even touched the remainign 10% yet, because these are just the easy tasks done on the side 😉

14 hours ago, Parachuteprone said:

Yes, any sort of terrain manipulation would be great. Mud adds atmosphere.

I'm just glad it's even being considered.

Don't think we will see it any time soon. Although I believe artillery fire destruction is in the works ?

Im not sure if artillery does but large explosions make craters in the ground that are actual deforned terrain not just a 3d object that spawns on top. Ive seen it with vbieds and I think some larger artillery does it but not sure 

3 hours ago, Poofydoodle said:

Ah! Thats what I was thinking of then. I guess if you could script some ieds to go off during a heavy barrage if you wanted to have the effect of craters being left in an area you advance through.

Same, same suitable IEDs set to detonate at H=0 replicate damaged buildings, drop bridges, etc.

Just make sure Blue's setup zone is not too close to them. ;)

Edited by Gibsonm

4 hours ago, Grenny said:

What exatly?

From his thread:

He is after the ability to change all the labelling inside the turret to whatever language option he has chosen.

e.g. Choose English and all the interior labelling in a BMP-2, Leopard, etc. all change to English.

Edited by Gibsonm

52 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

More Map objects please!

and in the same vane the ability for the server to push camo/Skins for the vehicles out to the clients so that if somebody makes a certain skin for either INF or TANKS or whatever and include it in the scen then it will be used by all players

MD

1 hour ago, Major duck said:

and in the same vane the ability for the server to push camo/Skins for the vehicles out to the clients so that if somebody makes a certain skin for either INF or TANKS or whatever and include it in the scen then it will be used by all players

MD

I'd like to see this accomplished by distributing custom vehicle and infantry skins embedded with the map package -- as virtually all other object textures can be now. That way, there's no additional net traffic to transfer large graphics files.

We can already put custom building, roadsign, plantlife etc. skins in an "actors" folder in a map package for distribution ... but this does not appear to work with vehicles, infantry & civilians. (Maybe I'm not constructing the file path correctly). 

But in any case, I would still want files in my mods folder to override.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:22 PM, Gibsonm said:

As long as the AI path finding can cope.

There is no point introducing extra "clutter" (one person's opinion) if it ruins the AI's ability to negotiate this busier landscape.

I’d be more than satisfied if additional map objects used the existing footprint of objects of similar size and design.  I.E. houses, factories and apartment buildings.  

Just give us different skins with more variation on existing objects!  Even some color variations would be great in breaking up the repetitiveness…