Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

33 minutes ago, iamfritz said:

Oh, and I just got another idea:

In the mission editor, there is an option to add civilians en masse (like,m a battalion of them) and then just  put them where you want.

How about something like that for cars? It would be great to fill city streets in a town with cars to add major ambience to a setting. Plus, since actual tankers need to deal with civilians and their property it would serve a very realistic training option.

This already exists in game. It has existed in game for a long long long time. 

• Members
8 hours ago, iamfritz said:

Oh, and I just got another idea:

In the mission editor, there is an option to add civilians en masse (like,m a battalion of them) and then just  put them where you want.

How about something like that for cars?

Please check the user's manual for "Spawn zones" (and drain zones).

Suggestion:

• When in map view, and making a route that ends to Battle position. It could be good to have quick method of adjusting "LOS" bubble distance  perhaps with N / shift + N   keys. perhaps by 500m increments?   
    • Currently all BPs seem to by default have very far  LOS bubble and this causes players to witness AI movements they didn't intend to happen. 
    • Currendly when player is zoomed in, the LOS bubble may be far away to even see, and if player is controlling multible units   hitting this  Shift + N   to bring LOS bubble closer   would help player to actually  grap and adjust it then with mouse.  Instead of them just ignoring setting it up  (what I see currently a lot )

6 hours ago, 12Alfa said:

Think you can adjust this, if I understand the question. Have you tried to select, and drag?

Yes you can adjust it. Point is to be able to do it more smoothly and even if zoomed in. Without need to zoom out. 

4 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Use the STAY command instead of Defend/Hold

Not the point. Yes stay would take away unwanted movement, but again point is to quickly be able to adjust LOS bubble without need to zoom out or dragging it with mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd spare everyone from requesting satellite-based lasers, modeling of ICBMs, or <Insert Random Low-Production Prototype Here> and focus instead on asking for some more quality of life/planning phase improvements.

1. Having a number of participants counter be displayed for all players during a Network Session. Yes, the host can see this on their end somehow; I'm not a host with a server key. The issue is that the host is sometimes not the "leader" of the session, who needs to know if they are up on the proper number of players (or if the new guy is still in TeamSpeak and doesn't have the IP address), how to adjust the manning roster, etc. Something like this would be great, with the "# Of Participants Here" saying 15 in this case. 

image.thumb.png.cde7c0f64da2a7ffe00174111f267a7f.png

2. Having a "flip text" option associated with graphics, where it turns the text 180 degrees but still locks it in to rotate with the graphic control measure. Sometimes you just want the text to be the other way, and don't wanna have to start moving text while changing from 22 to 45 degrees until it finally fits on the map overlay while still being legible. 

image.png.2eefb000d4ba111ad7bc072491d3cdef.png

3. Being able to hold down the SHIFT key while placing a custom line to lock it onto a road. This would make creating route graphic control measures a LOT quicker. This is my second most common use for custom lines (phase lines are the first). 

4. Having the Axis of Attack being "drawable" similar to the Direction of Attack, where the graphic control measure shapes itself to your desired direction as opposed to being a rigid "arrow." This is doctrinally appropriate (US, ADP 3-90):

An axis of advance ((name change; same method of marking)) November 2020) provides a general area through which the bulk of a unit’s combat power must move.

A direction of attack (November 2020) a specific direction or assigned route a force uses and does not deviate from when attacking.

Sometimes I want assigned combat power to move anywhere within a larger area to get into an advantageous position, versus moving along an assigned route and not deviating from it. 

Edited by Mirzayev

On 4/24/2022 at 2:45 AM, Mirzayev said:

Or just use the UAVs (or UGV if you want a ground-based solution) already included in the game.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=UAV_Sperwer

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Micro-UAV

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=UGV

This worked great except I couldn't see any way to use night vision/thermal from the Micro UAV. Is it possible?

1 hour ago, ChrisWerb said:

This worked great except I couldn't see any way to use night vision/thermal from the Micro UAV. Is it possible?

Don't think so.

Micro UAV is representing something you can buy at your local techie shop for a few quid.

4 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Don't think so.

Micro UAV is representing something you can buy at your local techie shop for a few quid.

Thank you, Hedgehog. To be fair, what you can buy at your local techie shop or online gets ever more amazing. This morning I had a neighbour come over to ask me how I knew my cat had visited his workshop over at the old watermill on the other side of the meadow as its out of line of sight. Sparky is fitted with a near real-time GPS and radio frequency tracker. :)

1 minute ago, ChrisWerb said:

Thank you, Hedgehog. To be fair, what you can buy at your local techie shop or online gets ever more amazing. This morning I had a neighbour come over to ask me how I knew my cat had visited his workshop over at the old watermill on the other side of the meadow as its out of line of sight. Sparky is fitted with a near real-time GPS and radio frequency tracker. :)

True enough, IR/Thermal/ect. seems to be dropping rapidly in pricing.  Getting it small seems to be the only expensive part at this point, and presumably in the next 3-5 years, one or more of the above will be standard with some set of medium-priced personal drones.

I wish destroyed IFVs would show the soldiers killed in hit that killed their vehicle. In the  below scene I got confused; was there more infantry lurking in the bushes or no?

I mean I should see a stack of dead bodies in there to assess threats around the BMP.

vlcsnap-2021-08-13-00h10m01s028.png

8 hours ago, iamfritz said:

I wish destroyed IFVs would show the soldiers killed in hit that killed their vehicle. In the  below scene I got confused; was there more infantry lurking in the bushes or no?

I mean I should see a stack of dead bodies in there to assess threats around the BMP.

vlcsnap-2021-08-13-00h10m01s028.png

Eh the problem lies in synchronisation of the discounts and vehicle, as they are 2 separate entities.

There was a bug (circa 2010) where if the discounts were killed in the back of a CV90, the bodies were drawn hovering in mid air. Looked really odd.

This idea just came to me:

If I'm a platoon commander, then I can right click on tanks in my platoon and issue orders from a drop-down menu while in F7 mode, F1 heads up or F4 view. Drop down menu can be semi transparent to not limit visibility. this would be like issuing a platoon level order over the radio, not needing to go to the map.

If I'm a Company Commander, then I can right click on, say, another track in one of my platoons, but in my company, and order their platoon to do so-and-so. (i.e. I'm stopping my Abrams and the Bradleys are moving past me. I right click a Bradley and order them to stop, or fall back, and they do).

This is to simulate giving orders over SINCGARS (or whatever they're using today) to my units.

Waddya think?

That only works for my own platoon.

I mean, I'm the company commander and having my head out of the hatch of my Abrams and click on the Bradley off to my right (game 3-D view) and a command menu pops open to give orders to the Bradley Platoon; lower right corner icons is only my platoon. And if I'm a company CO nobody else at all shows up in the lower right corner.

Cuz that's what they do- they look over and see such-and-such platoon is out of place or they want them to do something different, so they just key the company net and give em orders without ducking inside.

• Members

The problem is,

a. screen space. A COY task force can have a lot of callsigns that need to be organized in a way that you can access them easily, but also without blotching out the whole screen.

b. line of sight. How do you give, in a GUI, the command to flank an enemy that you know to be in a certain place, but you can't see?

It's easy to give a verbal command to that effect, but it's quite another to design a GUI that might allow you such a thing.

Whatever we can think of, at the end of the day this will require the development of an entirely different GUI concept, which is what we're doing for version 5.

In the meantime, the map is the primary command interface at the company level and beyond.