Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

On 5/27/2022 at 11:24 PM, Ssnake said:

I think it's a brilliant idea, which is why we did it years ago.

You can left-click the unit icon in the lower right corner to issue commands that pretty much do exactly that.

Okay I know its been a while but... I am finally looking into this. I click the little gray box lower left corner and a text box opens up. I can't find anything in the manual about this...?

Hi There

A real life weather application (like those in flight simulators) would be good, the only downside is the more applications you have running the more memory, computer power etc etc would be needed.

That's the great thing with Steel Beasts I don't have to have a $10000 NASA super computer to run it.

DavidRN

Not to dismiss the previous idea outright, but weather plays a massive role in limiting capabilities of forces within a scenario. Changing that "on the fly" would definitely ruin experiences as intended by scenario designers.

As for weather, there are a huge number of parameters that can be set based on pulling from real-world data within the mission editor.

9 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Not to dismiss the previous idea outright, but weather plays a massive role in limiting capabilities of forces within a scenario. Changing that "on the fly" would definitely ruin experiences as intended by scenario designers.

As for weather, there are a huge number of parameters that can be set based on pulling from real-world data within the mission editor.

Agreed, live real world wx could easily mess up the balance of a scenario.

Changing weather is nice in SB and quite underused by scenario makers.  I always carefully set up weather conditions for my scenarios, but I will try to make more use of changing weather in future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
11 minutes ago, DK-DDAM said:

well even if they are in pro its proberly not allowed to have it in the PE version..

We very rarely agree to such deals. Three come to my mind in 25 years, one of which WE decided that we wouldn't put it into PE because it's "highly special" and would create lots of complications all around. One was a request of a three-year delay between classroom and public version, and the last one, well, we eventually replaced it with something better.

There may be one or two more, but that's about it.

• Members

No, that's an incomplete feature, and a bit of an orphaned development branch simply because Steel Beasts (2.x...4.x) code structures aren't suitable for more work.

That's not to say that we would never resume work on this, but

a. not in 4.x, and

b. not a priority in 5.x

16 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

No, that's an incomplete feature, and a bit of an orphaned development branch simply because Steel Beasts (2.x...4.x) code structures aren't suitable for more work.

That's not to say that we would never resume work on this, but

a. not in 4.x, and

b. not a priority in 5.x

With those, I often remember  to old(in various forms) saying: pursuit of the perfect vs use of the good enough 😉

• Members

I don't claim a perfect track record, but overall I think eSim Games has been pretty pragmatic and not lost itself in perfectionism, or fighting isolated battles while losing sight of the big picture. High-res terrain and NewHE were, shall we call them indulgences, that turned out to be actual game changers in training (well, 50% of the time it works everytime...).

• Members

WHY would anyone possibly want to combine the disadvantages of live firings with the disadvantages of virtual gunnery?

You can have realistically looking targets for free. Why replace them with crude cardboard cartoons?

I thought we were training for combat, not other training events.

4 hours ago, IrishHussar said:

How about range target screens???
I would like that feature transfered from the Pro Version to the PE version please??

Now, how did I know Ssnake would respond thus:

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

WHY would anyone possibly want to combine the disadvantages of live firings with the disadvantages of virtual gunnery?

You can have realistically looking targets for free. Why replace them with crude cardboard cartoons?

?

:D

I am on Ssnake's on this.

I mean it's not like it costs anything to shoot a battalions worth of pixeltruppen T-72s does it?

That's why they don't let you live fire on Remote Controlled T72s, it would cost too much to replace them.

A plywood target is far simpler.

Nothing to stop you doing a simulated range period though :)

Edited by Hedgehog

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Q1.   WHY would anyone possibly want to combine the disadvantages of live firings with the disadvantages of virtual gunnery?

A1.   I would like them included in order to make realistic range scenarios.

Q2.   You can have realistically looking targets for free. Why replace them with crude cardboard cartoons?

A2.  If virtual scenarios can be made to look realistic against a mandatory task that he has to do in the real world then they have value.

If nothing else SB could be used in its basic form as a "Troop Fire Control" trainer saving thousands of pounds for the Army by bringing Troop/Platoon size units upto speed with economic use of ammunition.

Q3.  I thought we were training for combat, not other training events.

A3.   In todays modern Army soldiers do train for many events other than Combat.  In my 23 years service, 1979 to 2002 a did more annual firing camps and training events than I did war fighting from my tank. With that experience I can assure you that using SB Pro and PE as a training tool for range periods/annual firing camps would be a very useful tool. Also a soldier in todays army has his ability to command an AFV measured, in part, by his performance on the range.

I do see your point about the degradation of the simulation from a tactical trainer to something of lesser tactical input. I disagree with that point as I am not asking you to delete anything but just to add a facility that is already built.

Can I ask who and how these "crude cardboard cartoons" were justified for the Professional Edition??

Edited by IrishHussar
spelling

• Members
1 hour ago, IrishHussar said:

Can I ask who and how these "crude cardboard cartoons" were justified for the Professional Edition?

I'm not giving away details about my customers, but one of them insisted on it "to train their soldiers for the range experience", threatened me with a truckload of money, and accepted that they would sink infinitely in my esteem.

To this day, the "range target" feature is available only to army customers who insist on it, and they all have to go through my sermon first, and suffer the consequences. I doubt that my final threat has much weight, but I'm putting it on the scale.

Don't be one of them.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Figmo42 said:

Wish: please add a pre-set graphic for axis of attacks (and other larger symbols), this will allow me to quickly assemble plans instead of having to free hand draw, larger graphics. Many thanks!

Uh, New Map Graphic, Maneuver - Offensive   ...?

On 5/23/2022 at 12:58 AM, Mirzayev said:

4. Having the Axis of Attack being "drawable" similar to the Direction of Attack, where the graphic control measure shapes itself to your desired direction as opposed to being a rigid "arrow." This is doctrinally appropriate (US, ADP 3-90):

An axis of advance ((name change; same method of marking)) November 2020) provides a general area through which the bulk of a unit’s combat power must move.

A direction of attack (November 2020) a specific direction or assigned route a force uses and does not deviate from when attacking.

Sometimes I want assigned combat power to move anywhere within a larger area to get into an advantageous position, versus moving along an assigned route and not deviating from it. 

@Ssnake I think @Mirzayev puts this best.