Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Wish: Infantry resume standing posture after being "un-suppressed"

Currently - when infantry take direct or indrect fire they will assume a prone/crawling position. The player must manually resume their posture. This is obviously not possible when units are AI controlled, but also just really annoying for player-controlled units.

It would be nice if infantry units resumed their standing posture x-time after not taking fire. 

8 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Stupid question

Have you tried "Shift + B" ?

☺️ yes, first thing I tried but... thanks to Willykurtz video post we confirmed is totally bolted. No problem! Just go outside with the multi tool and close it 💪 that way you ensure no electrical problems with fancy systems, who needs them!

Some updates to the tutorials would be lovely. I just saw the ones for the Leopard 2 TC position. In all of which the text says the distance needs to be input by pressing the key on the keyboard and pressing enter. They all say the Kommandantenbediengerät is currently not modelled.

Which is no longer the case.

(This was in the German tutorial)

I have a couple suggestions, mostly involving the control logic.

1.  Unit XYZ is/isn't within 50m/100m etc. of XYZ unit/known enemy/etc.

- The point of this would be to coordinate action with other units, such as computer controlled units, units out of radio contact, or to facilitate suggestion #2.

2.  A Resupply If function.

- In teaching my young future tankers the importance of ammunition conservation and selective shooting, I'd like to be able to quickly resupply, but penalize by forcing movement to a location/resupply unit for more ammunition.  While this is already possible, young minds (and maybe my older one, too) aren't the best at waiting for the cross loading to occur.  I realize I could simply set to unlimited ammunition, but the temptation to laze and blaze is often overwhelming.

3.  A Despawn If function.

- Simulating rearward passage of lines or just getting rid of units that wouldn't loiter (transport helicopters for example)

4.  Recrew If

- I realize this is a little bit of a stretch, but it has actually happened (Yom Kippur in 1973 comes to mind, but undoubtedly elsewhere as well).  Vehicles presumed destroyed could be recrewed by another unit and brought to a given functional state, which could be specified in the damage if function.

Thanks for your consideration!

• Members

#2 and #3 are unlikely soon because they basically exist as options in the (non-PE) classroom version (Instructor-initiated resupply, and Traget Presentation Plans); Instructors can do a lot, but they have no place in the Personal Edition, and TPPs are, essentially, a tool for gunnery training, and everything that belongs into that category we keep out of the PE as one of the means of product differentiation.

#4 is impossible with the current engine, but that's one of the restrictions we'd like to get rid of with version 5.

8 hours ago, wlkngstck said:

4.  Recrew If

- I realize this is a little bit of a stretch, but it has actually happened (Yom Kippur in 1973 comes to mind, but undoubtedly elsewhere as well).  Vehicles presumed destroyed could be recrewed by another unit and brought to a given functional state, which could be specified in the damage if function.

Thanks for your consideration!

I would even say : recrew and switch side to use as a capture vehicle by opposite side 

The ability to type in values, as opposed to, or in addition to, ongoing "bracketing" with sliders.

I'm editing some scenario files, with a common foundation "master" file.

In order to "burn" a vehicle, I'm trying to apply 70% burn damage.

What I'd like to do is click on the vehicle and type 70%.

Unfortunately for each vehicle, in each location, and in each file, I end up clicking to get 68%, then 74%, then 65%, ...

Approx. 30 Vehicles (Blue and Red) times 6 scenarios = a lot of wasted time trying top make things consistent.

Clicking on the unit and typing in the number would be far quicker.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

The difference between 70% and 68% or 72% will be hardly visible.

Even if you can spot the difference, I'd argue that it's good that they aren't all burned to exactly the same state. The current method is super simple and time efficient. Multi-select all units that you want to set as destroyed, and you can set the sliders in a single window. If you find it cumbersome, you're probably not using it the intended way.

• Members

Yes, this is the wishlist thread, you may wish for anything.

Still, you're making your own life needlessly harder because the goal you're after is elusive. Even if you could set the burn value to exactly the same value, there'd still be some randomization of missing bits and pieces on the tanks between scenarios. I can only recommend to stop trying to hammer that square peg into the round hole, at least for now.

The ability to copy and paste (graphics, routes, route chains, ...) between instances.

I tend to create a palette of frequently used routes, conditional routes and supporting graphics (e.g. embark if ... unit is in region "advance") on the side of the map prior to execution.

I can then copy those items during execution and adjust them to suit the current scenario.

Being able to copy that palette from one mission to another (as opposed to re-creating them from scratch) would save a lot of time.

U.S. Army Test New Varian of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

The M2A4 Bradley Fighting Vehicle is equipped with an enhanced drivetrain, more powerful engine, new digitized electronics, a new fire suppression system, and a new IED jammer.

PNG Importable Height Maps to build terrain.

A very indie game called Easy Red 2 (WW2 FPS, Combined Arms) allows users to import .png height maps for instant map creation. This is absolutely amazing.....

1. Find a source that will let you download height maps

2. Get PNG

3. Import in-game

4. Profit - a map that would've taken me WEEKS (years in SB! [fact]) took me 2 minutes to import. I still need to add buildings, roads, and trees, but having the height map makes it super easy. Keep in mind, the map is zoomed all the way out and not representing all of the details. Up close it looks really good. 

image.thumb.png.cb049f39caf0ed3ef4dfba7dbbfdbb01.png

1) A copy CTRL+C / paste CTRL+V in the mission editor that lets you select any unit and copy it and paste that copy anywhere on the map to speed up mission making by magnitudes.

Perhaps copied and pasted units could assign new numbers to them so that it doesn't mess up the logic? For instance, if a unit that's coped is named 1/A then the first copy and pasted unit would be something like 1/A(2) and then the next copy and pasted unit would be 1/A(3) and so on, so that each copy and pasted unit is different in name, but identical to the original in all other respects. 

2) Better multi-core support for multi-core processors. Seems like the sim still utilizes one core more than taking advantage of multiple cores like most modern PC games do. 

3) Better UI scaling for the menu. Tried to play this at 2560x1440 but ran into two issues. First was Windows 11 scaling causes the mouse cursor in the game to be invisible. Also, text inside of the gray text boxes within the game overlapped letters and even ran outside of the text boxes. I had to reduce scaling in Windows 11 down to 100% from 175% (Recommended) to get the mouse cursor to appear and to get text to fit inside the boxes. But it was so teeny tiny that I could not read it and so I had to reduce resolution down to 1920x1080 to be able to read anything, and even then it's still pretty small. It would be nice if the game had its own UI scaling system that allows users to increase text scaling and able to play at higher resolutions. 

4) Heat blur for all vehicles in the game. 

5) Maybe some mud and dirt effects that dirty up the vehicles in the game if you got time. Nothing I hate more than a clean tank or a man with a pickup truck that ain't got a spec of dirt on it or someone who's got a fast sports car and drives it the speed limit. 🤦‍♂️ The hell did you buy it for?  And I was a police officer. I remember I used to consider pulling over law abiders with those nice sports cars that drove them the speed limit. Felt like it gave me probable cause to search them. Why you acting so suspicious driving so legit with that sexy fast sports car hmm? 🤔😆 

Edited by Thorn