image.thumb.png.16460e75f1bf5ae2e180f88e1ae68ebb.png

So a:

Challenger 2 - crewable

Chieftain Mk5 - non crewable.

T-62m 1972 - crewable.

ahhh

Challenger 1 Mk3   Not the Challenger 2

Chieftain mk11   Has StillBrew and the thermal site

I think T-62M is the type with Addon armor better FCS the T-62 m (model 1972)

Trying to round out the 80s Cold war

1 hour ago, EasyE said:

ahhh

Challenger 1 Mk3   Not the Challenger 2

Chieftain mk11   Has StillBrew and the thermal site

I think T-62M is the type with Addon armor better FCS the T-62 m (model 1972)

Trying to round out the 80s Cold war

I understand but the fundamentals of "squint harder" is that you accept that a Chieftain Mk 5 is a "reasonable" proxy for a Chieftain Mk 11 and similarly with the Challenger and T-62.

If you want an "exact" model, then you are currently out of luck for, at a guess, at least 2+ years (assuming someone devotes resources to creating them).

11 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I understand but the fundamentals of "squint harder" is that you accept that a Chieftain Mk 5 is a "reasonable" proxy for a Chieftain Mk 11 and similarly with the Challenger and T-62.

If you want an "exact" model, then you are currently out of luck for, at a guess, at least 2+ years (assuming someone devotes resources to creating them).

Oh a man can dream....

I doubt it is a priority........ That said, If SB every has pay modules like DCS I assure them I will open the wallet for these. 

• Members

Like night combat, to do it right, it's a complex task. Tides, current flow dynamics, ... you'd want all these things to work. And then you have places like Inchon; it's a safe bet that it'd be one of the things that some users would want to try out first as soon as we claim that Steel Beasts can do it.

Something for novice scenario designers:

A macro or similar process that walk people through the various choices (some of which are currently on menus where you need to know where to look).

A process (pop up screens or whatever) that asks you:

The Date

The Time

The Weather

Which side of the road do people drive on

Who can call Artillery

This "helper" would most likely need to be optional so that old hands weren't constrained by it, but it might make scenario design easier for new people without reviewers slamming their product for supposed rookie errors.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

This hinges mostly on the question how smart we can make the AI. It's no use if we enable barrel strikes and at the same time AI crews don't avoid them, so you ruin a company's guns mere minutes into a game session that is not in the desert.

But it's not forgotten; I spoke about this with one of the programmers the other week.

• Members

But that hardly is a "game changer" except in the rather meaningless sense that it's a change to the game Steel Beasts; it hardly is the disruptive change that will shift our perception of Steel Beasts which is typically associated with the term "game changer".

It's a pretty narrow focus of specific conditions where the ambushers will be successful more often (not that they are without success in such situations already). If the AI works allright, there will be a potential for damages from barrel strike, but it would rarely, if ever, materialize because the AI would prevent them from happening (and they can't happen right now). Even if we would implement a "panic reaction" routine where they rotate the turret in reponse to an ambush and do get a barrel strike as a consequence, the tank would likely be dead from the ambush before you could notice that half a second before it exploded it also had a barrel strike. It's a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on a sinking Titanic.

Well to me I think itd be a pretty big addition that would cause players to adjust the way they play in certin aspects.I think itd be a plus.But I see what your saying and your see your points.Maybe game changer wasnt the best choice of words,or your overtinking it😁😉

Edited by mpow66m

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 2:01 PM, Ssnake said:

Why would this be a game changer?

Sure, in forests and narrow alleys the AI would be severely restricted in its response options to flanking ambushes. But that's a rather narrow application spectrum.

Of course! It saved Oddball's Sherman crew in Kelly's Heroes so it's good enough in here.

Plus, I just read a bunch of Thunder Run books for the umptenth time and there were alley fights and turrets spinning and so on where the gun tube's position affected crews and tactics.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:02 PM, Ssnake said:

Wellll... some explosions in real life are bigger. Most explosions in real life appear less spectacular than your Standard Hollywood Fireball. So, by default in SB Pro, we err on the side of "small explosion" as far as visuals are concerned. In 99% of all cases that's more realistic.

However, there's that 1% of all cases where a bigger fireball is needed. Deflagration of MRLS munitions is one such case.

Fuel and ammo trucks should go BOOM.

41 minutes ago, iamfritz said:

Even if hit by HEAT?

I ask to learn, not to be a snotty armchair Lt.

Dare I say "it depends".

A full tank is more likely (not 100%) to rupture and burn.

The emptier it gets and the more vapor inside the chance of explosion goes up:

Even then though its likely to be an explosion that ruptures the tank, but not one that reduces the tank to flying shrapnel fragments, etc.

Certainly not a good thing to be around, but your use of "BOOM" implied some sort of catastrophic explosion.

Movie special effects people (Michael Bay) have a lot to answer for:

https://bulkfuel.com.au/news/bunded-fuel-tanks-not-like-the-movies

I guess on balance if forced, I'd rather drive a Diesel (none of the above applies to Petrol) fuel vehicle than an ammunition one.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
4 hours ago, iamfritz said:

Don't know if I've asked about this before, others probably have:

When will M-2/M-3A3 be included?

In principle, "whenever we have the time for it" --- but until either a military customer would specifically ask for it, or PE version 5 is release ready, realistically speaking we probably won't have the time.

2 hours ago, mpow66m said:

Is there a any major difference between the A1,A2,A3?

Yeah- the Bradley -A3 has upgraded engine,  added networking and the CITV (a la M-1A2). The TC has that empty space in front of his station filled up with the monitor for it and a keyboard. All big deal and stuff.

00:45 in this one...

...and 27:27 in this one: