Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

27 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Something for V5, we need different approaches for AI decision-making.

The best move forward for Infantry , would be an the ablity to use AT weapons and rifles as a player anyway... would make SB much more "combined armsy"

A mechanism so that power lines do not interfere with vehicle movement on roads.

SS_08_26_17.thumb.jpg.befcf2f201916a1c1bffbb35f784fe18.jpg

Here the vehicle on a route (using follow roads Navmesh) has stopped and used its "collision avoidance" routine to avoid the power line stanchion, but goes off road.

I hear the sickening noise of the wheels spinning but thankfully it continues on.

Just now, Gibsonm said:

A mechanism so that power lines do not interfere with vehicle movement on roads.

SS_08_26_17.thumb.jpg.befcf2f201916a1c1bffbb35f784fe18.jpg

Here the vehicle on a route (using follow roads Navmesh) has stopped and used its "collision avoidance" routine to avoid the power line stanchion, but goes off road.

I hear the sickening noise of the wheels spinning but thankfully it continues on.

looks like the base is under the road, thous causing a "issue", I would move back a bit ton avoid this. This I think is a map object placment issue and not a routing issue.  I have maps with this object issue before, and fixed.

Edited by 12Alfa

3 hours ago, 12Alfa said:

looks like the base is under the road, thous causing a "issue", I would move back a bit ton avoid this. This I think is a map object placment issue and not a routing issue.  I have maps with this object issue before, and fixed.

Sure and that generates another "delta" map. :(

You don't get the choice to place the map stanchions in the map editor, just draw the wires. So you end up putting a kink in the road to fix the issue.

When I create a new map I don't get the stanchions - just a line:

image.png.2894761a0bf9c81532ef5563eb8e930e.png

Even after I save it (so I can click on things) I get:

image.png.5f349c549fb73c4033b84bc684bafee2.png

versus 3D world:

image.thumb.png.d2ed04cb4109088eaf44ed406a05c1b1.png

As a result I have now idea how to move it.

Also checking where each power line crosses each road on a sizeable map is just another time suck.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

At the danger of turning this into a support case, I tend to agree that an adjustment of the map is the way to go if quick results are desired - even if that means that other scenarios need to have their maps replaced. But since they share the same map, such a map replacement is a safe change.

We're looking into options to make our collision avoidance a bit more robust (this is now bug 11424), but it is unclear if this can be achieved on short notice.

17 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

At the danger of turning this into a support case, I tend to agree that an adjustment of the map is the way to go if quick results are desired - even if that means that other scenarios need to have their maps replaced. But since they share the same map, such a map replacement is a safe change.

We're looking into options to make our collision avoidance a bit more robust (this is now bug 11424), but it is unclear if this can be achieved on short notice.

I wasn't sure which area to post it, so if it needs to move that fine with me.

• Moderators
On 1/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, Gibsonm said:

Also checking where each power line crosses each road on a sizeable map is just another time suck.

I agree, but in regards to the map itself (and you probably didn't make it, so this is just a general comment for everyone to keep in mind), when drawing the power lines, its always best to briefly check them in 3D at that time, and they can easily be conformed to roads by slight movements of the nodes (or by adding additional nodes).

Not taking the time to do that, as a map designer, is just like putting a bridge over a road and not checking if the road under it lines up and conforms with the overpass columns. 

Each node must be a pylon, so what I try to always do is add a node on either side of a road that might be a concern, to ensure that the road isn't blocked (by forcing the pylon to be where I want them to be at the added nodes). 

Certainly things could improve though (like a large buffer area around roads when it comes to the larger sized pylons).

But really, how is any of this different from those cases where there is a building in the middle of a road on some maps? If the map area is vital to the outcome of a scenario, the its always best to just create an "edited" delta that is tailored to a scenario. Beyond that, of course we will continually try to improve the overall situation though. 

2 hours ago, Volcano said:

I agree, but in regards to the map itself (and you probably didn't make it, so this is just a general comment for everyone to keep in mind), when drawing the power lines, its always best to briefly check them in 3D at that time, and they can easily be conformed to roads by slight movements of the nodes (or by adding additional nodes).

Not taking the time to do that, as a map designer, is just like putting a bridge over a road and not checking if the road under it lines up and conforms with the overpass columns. 

Each node must be a pylon, so what I try to always  do is add a node on either side of a road that might be a concern, to ensure that the road isn't blocked. 

Certainly things could improve though (like a large buffer area around roads when it comes to the larger sized pylons).

But really, how is any of this different from those cases where there is a building in the middle of a road on some maps? If the map area is vital to the outcome of a scenario, the its always best to just create an "edited" delta that is tailored to a scenario. Beyond that, of course we will continually try to improve the overall situation though. 

Yes you are right I'm not the author.

I guess the difference between placing individual buildings (unless you have Dark's batch process) and drawing a power line, is that the building is a single object.

In a perfect world (may well not be possible) the smarts behind the power-line object would have some sort of algorithm that said to itself:

No stanchions within 5m [for example] of a road, or a house, or a river, or a lake, or ... so the map designer could draw the line confident that when the engine resolved it, the stanchions would be in the "right" place.

I'm keeping a list of issues I've found on this map (one lane bridge when the road on either side is two lane, this power line, and some other things) and I'll do a one off edit and apply the resulting delta to the series of scenarios.

I'm not doing a full map audit (such as the numerous roads that don't join up - with resulting issues with "follow road" navmeshing) and I wont be generating a new delta for every "fix" I apply.

Edited by Gibsonm

Hello

I have 3 wishes:

1. lightning from guns and other sources. (This was promised years go)

2. in the text field in the map, make it clickable on the unit so we can see where they are on the map. 

3. A way to make text bigger in the breifing.

3 hours ago, netjens said:

Another thing I had on my mind, is not the color a bit bland in the game? It would not hurt to have a bit more saturation in the colors. Anyone agree?

i tend to view it the other way- depending on the tiles selected in the map theme, many of them yields somewhat cartoon looking effect- i choose the dullest looking textures possible in order to desaturate the overall appearance; it might also be in either case the general lack of shadows color you impression of a scene i.e., since trees do not cast shadows, they all look equally illuminated ftom all sides, giving a dull appearance in your perspective, while they can look overly bright or cartoonish in mine without more natural looking shading and contrast

Dreams and Wishes

RTS style controls for more efficient command & fewer mouse clicks to move units (I know, I know, some old grognard is having heart palpitations after reading this)

1. Assigning hotkeys to the movement types and allowing players to use them in the 3d view and on the map. You guys made that sweet UI for the UAVs. I feel like there is a lot of potential in it. The keys assigned are just an example. Obviously people use the WASD key for movement.

image.thumb.png.413fd21aff520b022da5cee827853f34.png

2. Let me play from F5 more efficiently:

a. Let me highlight the units and issue waypoint using a keystroke. In this example I highlight 4 vehicles and press the A button to give them an 'Engage' waypoint (which is also called ADVANCE in the 3d world. 

b. Each unit is given its own order vice the task force system we have no where all units get a weird offset waypoint. 

image.thumb.png.89914e5d8943b9369fc246ef6bf499d8.png

Edited by Apocalypse 31