Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

• Members
I would like to see new vehicles released in a play to play format similar to what is in Rise of Flight. This would allow for a more frequent update . One per month or two.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Every new vehicle needs about nine months to make like a proper baby. We can on occasion cut some time from it if it is a minor variation of a vehicle, but what a "minor variation" is isn't always as clear cut as one might think. For all practical matters, the CV90/30 is a totally different beast than the CV90/35, which in turn is totally different from the CV90/40.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Every new vehicle needs about nine months to make like a proper baby. We can on occasion cut some time from it if it is a minor variation of a vehicle, but what a "minor variation" is isn't always as clear cut as one might think. For all practical matters, the CV90/30 is a totally different beast than the CV90/35, which in turn is totally different from the CV90/40.

Wow !

How long for an AI ?

• Members
How long for an AI ?

"It depends" - if it is a unique vehicle that requires a different behavior set, it could take months. If not, it can be done faster if you don't take into account the amount of preparation time to research the vehicle and find dimensioned line drawings and other elements. Artwork will take between two and four weeks, then there's some time needed for 3D model acceptance and defining the vulnerability model, finally it must be tested which can again turn weeks. But you don't do that for just a single vehicle. You create a batch of new vehicle artwork, then spend a while on the vulnerability model, and then you test all the vehicles in a beta test phase.

Above all however, the work must fit into the time gaps between projects for which we have a contractual obligation (aka a military customization job). These customizations are what actually constitutes our regular work. Work on the Personal Edition we do mostly for the fun of it, and because each Personal Edition beta test is a golden opportunity for code consolidation - tying up loose ends, wrapping all kinds of innovations into one package.

Making vehicle additions on a bi-monthly basis would require us to totally redefine our business model - which we won't, unless absolutely necessary. We love working for you (I hope it shows), but it's insufficient to keep us in business. We need to customize for army customers.

This is not World of Tanks, and I wouldn't want to see SB Pro be turned into a clone of it. First and foremost, we are a training solutions company - don't let the "Games" in eSim fool you about that.

we are a training solutions company.

Great Ssnake. I need a training model for an IPM1 that I recently purchased on eBay. It a classic, low mileage unit from the Minnesota National Guard. It's expensive to operate and I would like to offer you one hundred big ones, yes that's one hundred smackaroos for a training solution for the IPM1.

Thanks,

Pete

• Members

I suppose you're pulling my leg here... or, that it is a demilitarized tank for which there is no "real" training requirement. ;)

Frankly, I don't know if we would work for a private customer even if there really were 100k on the table. But if you're really, really serious about it, contact me by email. You know how.

As he has said in previous posts, he thinks you just splice the M1 cannon onto the M1A1 (HA) and he gets an M1IP, all of which can apparently be done in an afternoon. Nevermind that it would need to be an M1A1 not an M1A1 (HA). For that he offers 100 dollars (not 100K dollars) to ESim.

Mog

I suppose you're pulling my leg here... or, that it is a demilitarized tank for which there is no "real" training requirement. ;)

Frankly, I don't know if we would work for a private customer even if there really were 100k on the table. But if you're really, really serious about it, contact me by email. You know how.

1. Pretty sure he’s got his tongue firmly in his cheek.

2. I think there is only US$100 on the table not US$100,000.

3. No doubt you have your tongue firmly in your cheek too. :)

2. I think there is only US$100 on the table not US$100,000.

Whoa..........100 big ones, that dollarino's. Not K! How about 100,000 pesos.

Correct it is a M1A1(HA). In my 2D reskinning brain the solution would be to place the M68 105 on the M1A1(HA) model. The models and playable positions exist. Tweak the armor model of the M1A1 (HA) to that of a M1A1 and voila.

Whoa..........100 big ones, that dollarino's. Not K! How about 100,000 pesos.

Correct it is a M1A1(HA). In my 2D reskinning brain the solution would be to place the M68 105 on the M1A1(HA) model. The models and playable positions exist. Tweak the armor model of the M1A1 (HA) to that of a M1A1 and voila.

it would have to be done 3 times, once for each model. then the texture needs to be adjusted, for woodland, desert, winter, and TIS. after that, the armour model needs to be modified for this new variant. unfortunately, there's more differences between the M1A1 and IPM1 turret than mentioned.

the IPM1 has the old arrangement of blast doors on the roof, the smaller stowage boxes of the M1, bustle rack off the M1A1, old-style bars running the whole length of the turret side, no NBC exhaust.

so i'd have to take the hull of the M1, the turret off the M1A1, detach the roof of the M1, splice it with the M1A1, and then add the bustle rack. then i'd have to stretch the roof a bit so it fits the M1A1 turret. all of this will mess up the UV's, which means moving the UVs around, and that means moving things around on the texture.

again this would have to be done once for every LOD.

additionally, the extra smoke grenade boxes are missing on the IPM1, so they would have to be removed.

doing so i'd have to remove the shadow behind them, and repaint the dirt in that area.

doing all of this is inevitably going to screw something up somewhere. so after all of this is done, i'd have to export the 3 models, and convert the textures into DDS, then send them off to V so he can curse and moan about how broken everything is.

after a few hours of this he'll send me a list of things that go screwed up. and after that is fixed, time for anoter re-export.

if no more errors are found, the IPM1 is finally ready for prime-time in SB.

it would have to be done 3 times, once for each model. then the texture needs to be adjusted, for woodland, desert, winter, and TIS. after that, the armour model needs to be modified for this new variant. unfortunately, there's more differences between the M1A1 and IPM1 turret than mentioned.

the IPM1 has the old arrangement of blast doors on the roof, the smaller stowage boxes of the M1, bustle rack off the M1A1, old-style bars running the whole length of the turret side, no NBC exhaust.

so i'd have to take the hull of the M1, the turret off the M1A1, detach the roof of the M1, splice it with the M1A1, and then add the bustle rack. then i'd have to stretch the roof a bit so it fits the M1A1 turret. all of this will mess up the UV's, which means moving the UVs around, and that means moving things around on the texture.

again this would have to be done once for every LOD.

additionally, the extra smoke grenade boxes are missing on the IPM1, so they would have to be removed.

doing so i'd have to remove the shadow behind them, and repaint the dirt in that area.

doing all of this is inevitably going to screw something up somewhere. so after all of this is done, i'd have to export the 3 models, and convert the textures into DDS, then send them off to V so he can curse and moan about how broken everything is.

after a few hours of this he'll send me a list of things that go screwed up. and after that is fixed, time for anoter re-export.

if no more errors are found, the IPM1 is finally ready for prime-time in SB.

So its 150$ then ;-)

heh. IPM1 model itself would be around 1-2 days of work,

implementation around 5-6 hours, and bugtesting probably 4 hours of work.

so a total of 21 hours of work. 150$/21 = 7.1$ an hour.. might as well go and flip burgers :P

Don't forget taxes, so it'll be more like 4$ left for you :-D

so a total of 21 hours of work. 150$/21 = 7.1$ an hour.. might as well go and flip burgers :P

I appreciate the explanation and one can only hope. I can up the anti to $200.00 American and I can do the textures, not the mapping. I only work in 2D, PSP and Photoshop. Again thanks for the time to explain.

I'll take a double cheese burger with every thing, and a bud please.:remybussi:

Ive got a couple of gerbils spare, oh and a very small Hedgehog ! in exchange for which,

1. More time to use 2.64 !

Ok so not content with the bounty that came with 1. above

1. WARRIOR ! (and any variants, could even do Desert warrior a la kuwait)

2. CVRT series, especially Scimitar, but the rest would be nice.

3. A command variant or two of some of the APC's

4. Bit more mission editability with Infantry and choppers in ME, its certainly got better with 2.64 but needs a bit of a tweak

5. 432's arguably the most prolific British APC and I could skin up my own former ride (aaaah "Assassin" I miss you)

6. Mortar carriers

7. Some little crew dudes stickin out the tanks :)

8. Short of any of the above a few more crewable positions in the current pack.

9. More time to play with 2.64

Funny how despite the remarkable sim we have, I always want a bit more and to tinker with whats going. I do the same with Flight sims, arguably spend more time modding and editing missions than I ever do playing them.

Where do I send the Gerbils, hedgehog ?

Care to elaborate?

For example, in editor, if we could unload a chopper or PC and the assign another squad missile/HMG etc to that vehicle and load them back in. Appreciate it can currently be worked round once the scenario starts, but it's a little clumsy. Perhaps it would be easier to make a rifle squads loadout editable to include an ATGM ?

Also a way to have Choppers (or ground vehicles)dismount troops on a route, again without having to manualy do it in scenario. A 'dismount' waypoint, I'm thinking of Heliborne operations.

Of course a 'mount' waypoint would be useful but I don't know how you would associate it with a specific infantry squad

For example, in editor, if we could unload a chopper or PC and the assign another squad missile/HMG etc to that vehicle and load them back in. Appreciate it can currently be worked round once the scenario starts, but it's a little clumsy. Perhaps it would be easier to make a rifle squads loadout editable to include an ATGM ?

Also a way to have Choppers (or ground vehicles)dismount troops on a route, again without having to manualy do it in scenario. A 'dismount' waypoint, I'm thinking of Heliborne operations.

Of course a 'mount' waypoint would be useful but I don't know how you would associate it with a specific infantry squad

You can already (2.640) do this in the Editor so unsure what the issue is.

Refer Release Notes and here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16046