Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

You can edit,move and update your own graphic (move one, then send to blue, and the graphic will be moved to the new position on every map, not recreated, but updated), but can only edit and move received graphics. You can not resend them if your not the CO of the company of the sender.(ie if you receive a graphic from Delta cie and you are COA, you can not resend it. But if it came from 1/1/A, you can edit it and resend it)

Just found a bug! You can not send a graphic to vehicule, section or company, just Blue. But if you use "Send all to" command, it works for all posibility.

I have composed of an eye candy wishlist that would put sbp on par with current day grafics engines.

* Weather effecs including rain , storm , and snow effects

* Tracer effecs including ricochet sparks from gunfire and shell impacs on armor and better tracer models and soforth

* Dirt and mud comming of the tank tracs when driving

* Bouncing roadwheels

* tank leaving tracks in the ground (mud , sand , snow) It kind of looks weird when the tank sinks in the snow without desturbing the snow for example

* 3-d crew both inside and outside of the tank with loading and other animations

* Kickback from gun breech when firing

* treech and bushes sway by wind effect

* better visiual damage effect ( blown of roadwheels and shot of tracks)

* Better models for destoyed tanks

* Better smoke and fire effects when tank is destoyed

* destructable building models like arma 2

* Better looking water effecs when interacting with vehilces (it looks wierd as it is now because the water looks like the snow with no interaction with vehilces whatsoever

I have composed of an eye candy wishlist that would put sbp on par with current day grafics engines.

* Tracer effecs including ricochet sparks from gunfire and shell impacs on armor and better tracer models and soforth

* Dirt and mud comming of the tank tracs when driving

* Bouncing roadwheels

* tank leaving tracks in the ground (mud , sand , snow) It kind of looks weird when the tank sinks in the snow without desturbing the snow for example

* 3-d crew both inside and outside of the tank with loading and other animations

* Kickback from gun breech when firing

* treech and bushes sway by wind effect

* Better models for destoyed tanks

* Better looking water effecs when interacting with vehilces (it looks wierd as it is now because the water looks like the snow with no interaction with vehilces whatsoever

Ok, and add this to a 18000m los sight, and you have to play with a 2700K and a GTX580 at 10 fps.

Try to put >50 tanks and PC with 10000m view distance in ARMA2, and tell us the result in playability.

I don't want to play with an Arma2 ou BF3 like. You have to chose between eyeCandy and functionality.

If it's the first go to BF3 and let us play with a immersive tank SIMULATOR without to have to spend 2000€ for a new computer capable of make it run.

As far as graphics are concerned I am satisfied with what we have a moment and at least my rig can run it without any problems. Although I wouldn't mind bouncing roadwheels and some nice explosion effects either at least, but I can do without those. Honestly I wouldn't want to spend heaps of money on buying / upgrading the computer again just because I don't use it that much for gaming anymore. Steel Beasts gives me enough immersion in terms of simulation that I completely forget or dont care about the graphics. Heck to be honest I think I am one of those lonely fanboys who still play flight simulators on C64 and on Amiga 600 even in 2012 :D i mean I am still playing this baby actively, and it gives me goosebumps:

I am graphic whore as well and apart from Steel Beasts a gamer - I would recommend getting a PS3 or an Xbox 360 with a big @ss HD TV if you are looking for these type of things, it's not likely that we are ever going to see this with Steel Beasts. BF3 is akick ass GAME in my opinion, especially online, all the eyecandy and action is there.

As far as graphics are concerned I am satisfied with what we have a moment and at least my rig can run it without any problems. Although I wouldn't mind bouncing roadwheels and some nice explosion effects either at least, but I can do without those. Honestly I wouldn't want to spend heaps of money on buying / upgrading the computer again just because I don't use it that much for gaming anymore. Steel Beasts gives me enough immersion in terms of simulation that I completely forget or dont care about the graphics. Heck to be honest I think I am one of those lonely fanboys who still play flight simulators on C64 and on Amiga 600 even in 2012 :D i mean I am still playing this baby actively, and it gives me goosebumps:

I am graphic whore as well and apart from Steel Beasts a gamer - I would recommend getting a PS3 or an Xbox 360 with a big @ss HD TV if you are looking for these type of things, it's not likely that we are ever going to see this with Steel Beasts. BF3 is akick ass GAME in my opinion, especially online, all the eyecandy and action is there.

Well yeah it was just an idea and No we will probably never see 95 % of this in steel beasts but at least i can dream. I could buy a PS3 but it doesnt have steel beasts or simulations worth mentioning.

Ok, and add this to a 18000m los sight, and you have to play with a 2700K and a GTX580 at 10 fps.

Try to put >50 tanks and PC with 10000m view distance in ARMA2, and tell us the result in playability.

I don't want to play with an Arma2 ou BF3 like. You have to chose between eyeCandy and functionality.

If it's the first go to BF3 and let us play with a immersive tank SIMULATOR without to have to spend 2000€ for a new computer capable of make it run.

You actually run Steel Beasts with 18 km view distance? That's going to hurt even without these proposed things.

To be fair to oscar, any added graphics effects should have scaleable options anyway, if you don't like them, turn them off or use reduced settings. And much of what he's suggesting probably wouldn't be the frame rate killers as far as I would guess. The things which cause my machine to slow down are already present now- ground clutter drawn thickly out to maximum view settings, lots of trees and buildings in a scene, view distance drawn out past 6 km, and running in highest resolution settings with AA X AF maxed out. Everything should be scaleable anyway, so the user can adjust to his own preferences.

2.65 SB Pro ANZAC right? don't you have a ANZAC version with different playable vehicles compared to SB Pro ? or is my memory joking around with me?

Well its certainly labelled "SB Pro 2.650 ANZAC" but I think that's superficial only and think there isn't much difference between 2.650 ANZAC and say 2.650 Dutch, etc.

Certainly "stuff" we ask for is often incorporated in other country's versions (just like we have benefited from "stuff" that other user countries asked for).

There is a common developer / user web site and people from different countries discuss issues and I've not seen discussion of "this will be in the ANZAC version only", etc.

Similarly our copy has the same choices of languages, comes with multiple versions of documentation, etc. whereas if it were just "ours" I would suspect "English" would be the only option. :)

So I think there is one version of 2.650 and the splash screen is tailored for each country.

That would certainly make life easier for eSim but I'm a customer, not the producer.

IMHO, there's a lot of merit to some points here which some may dismiss as 'eye candy' (and in true sim-nut fashion often get shot down in flames immediately), but actually add a huge amount to realism, which is what we're all after, isn't it?

Some points by the OP that directly affect realism of this simulator:

- Directly affect how one sees the battlefield, and thus how you aquire targets. Surely this is a good thing?

-Current tracer doesn't quite look like tracer, but ok, let's assume it'll do for simulation purposes. Shell interaction with target is currently very cut and dried however. You get a small impact flash when you hit, ALWAYS. Not the same as reality.

* tree(s) and bushes sway by wind effect

- Currently, the only thing moving on the battlefield are troops and vehicles. Real life consists of lots of movement, distracting the eye. Forcing you to realistically scan for targets.

-Again, reality is never quite as cut and dried as SB when it comes to destroyed objects.

* Better models for dest®oyed tanks

-As above, perhaps even more so. 'Shoot it until it catches fire or changes shape'.

-Again....

-Now this would start to kill your CPU/GPU I reckon :) Nice to have though...

A lot of the other stuff is purely for looks or immersion (important, but not technically key to a simulator).

A better lighting engine (shadows, bright daylight etc) and particle effects would be awesome. Frankly ('shoot me' mode on), I find we have enough crewable vehicles. Sure, the more the merrier, but at some stage other things are going to have to be prioritised surely? If the next update was ONLY about visual improvements to the visual/physics engine, that would be legendary. IMHO. I'll tolerate an M1A2 though, but that's the absolute limit :)

Shadows- I don't think mere visual draw, that actually affects perception and the ability to conceal oneself.

More pronounced smoke and fire effects from burning vehicles or buildings- not simply for entertainment purposes, but because it is a useful visual cue. You could spot a fire and the smoke from a long distance away and orient yourself to its location, or determine that's where there is activity of some kind. Just smoke rising from behind a treeline will convey information that something is there.

If the next update was ONLY about visual improvements to the visual/physics engine, that would be legendary. IMHO.

Except of course pretty much none of what is in that list is on "ours" in terms of improvements we in the ADF are willing to pay for. Of course that doesn't mean it wont happen (we didn't ask for "playable" CR2 or T-72 either. :)).

And no, I'm not going to divulge what we (in the ADF) are after. :)

Gib: you should be careful to state who "we" is in statements like that. Not every forum member understands that you are a military customer/user as well as the civilian/gamer type.

It's not a secret, but it's also not a given. ;)

I would add to ARM505's statement: "eye candy" is not the same thing as "effects that have an effect." Smoke, weather, damage visibility, shadows, moving environments, etc. all matter in a substantive way, and in varying degrees. To use the typical eye candy example: moving road wheels do not. (Suspension does, but that's not the exactly same thing)

I'm all for the substantive effects, as circumstances/budget/time allow. "Eye candy" is the stuff of the pure-gamer crowd and is much lower on my GOS list.