Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Sure, because its there now (or at least the Dorchester equiped vehicle).

Or are you talking about an earlier prototype with only Chobham on it? :)

yes, an earlier version, a light armored one as the picture I've posted.

yes, an earlier version, a light armored one as the picture I've posted.

Well as far as I know that version is only used in training exercises.

Any time a British MBT is actively deployed on ops, it gets the latest and greatest add-on armour.

If you mean in terms of the forces involved, that's your perogative.

If you mean in terms of the Infantry modelling reached its peak then, I'd have to disagree since things like MG effectiveness, etc. were problematic.

ok there will not be infantry like combat mission

but at least a bit better

and TAM tank :shocked:

Lacking the ability to issue platoon fire commands, assuming the AI could understand them to begin with, one thing I would like to see is the option to set a platoons fire-pattern and maximum round expenditure at a given BP.

If you are talking about "5 rounds depth fire" or "cross fire", etc. I think that would be very difficult to implement, no doubt made more so since I suspect every nationality would have a slightly different way to "skin that cat". :)

It would be beyond pleasing, to have a crewable T80U in the next update. Do you think there is any chance? I would probably give an arm, to be able to try the lasing detection feature.

"BEEP BEEP BEEP" (Someone is lasing us boys)

With the press of a button, the turret turns automatically to the direction you were lased from.

TIS on.

There you are... "Fire!"

So? Anyone else excited? :-)

It would be beyond pleasing, to have a crewable T80U in the next update. Do you think there is any chance? I would probably give an arm, to be able to try the lasing detection feature.

With the press of a button, the turret turns automatically to the direction you were lased from.

TIS on.

There you are... "Fire!"

I'd be cool.

Just one thing to remeber: about 0,2-0,3 seconds after the laser hits the T-80, the KE/sabot round will have left the lasing tanks tube. Making the time to respond to the laser warning rather short :-P

My bet is you die while thinking:"There you are..." at best. more likely while the turret is turning.

Would help against "ilumination" lasers for laser homing missiles maybe.(??)

I have a hard time thinking of a user interface that would not make this rather complicated, awkward, or clumsy.

If you want to TRAIN it, run a network mission with every tank manned.

one thing I would like to see is the option to set a platoons fire-pattern and maximum round expenditure at a given BP.

Wouldn't that be doable with SOP routines? The user sets the SOP for the unit with check boxes that tell units how to react or act in certain situations. One product I am familiar with - HPS' Point of Attack 2 ground warfare simulation (contracted by the US Air Force) uses that type of system - and - it works well. You can set units to do all kinds of things. For example you can tell a unit that if it starts taking direct fire to retreat to cover while returning fire and do it at a low, standard or high rate of fire with just a few clicks of the mouse. You can set a single unit, all units of the same type or even all units to use that particular SOP rule with a single click of a radio button. That's just one example. There are more SOP rules than I can remember. Using radio buttons there are all kinds of options. And it frees up the player to concentrate on fighting the battle and not micromanaging platoons.

The SOP user interface is simple to use and understand. Hell there wasn't even a manual yet when we were beta testing it and the interface was easy enough to understand and use that we barely bugged the developer about it.

I'm not saying that the programming would be easy just that it is doable and would be a useful feature to have in SB and not just for the commercial audience either.

POA2 was built to USAF specifications for the USAF. So they thought that the ability to implement SOP was important enough to build into the tactical/operational level training sim they wanted.

The main difference between SB and POA2 is that POA2 though it does sim down to the vehicle/man allows control only down to the squad level.

AS an aside: If SOP's could be implemented and built into the editor - well - the possibilities for programming the AI opfor become mind boggling.

Just sayin'...

• Members
It would be beyond pleasing, to have a crewable T80U in the next update. Do you think there is any chance?

No.

I would probably give an arm, to be able to try the lasing detection feature.

Be careful with such statements. You might be forced to have it sawed off sooner than you may think.

TIS on.

There you are... "Fire!"

Have you seen this video yet put out by Daskal:

Good luck in hitting any targets with your first round that lased at you greater than 1500 meters out. Even though its a T-90

But that assumes every army uses the same SOPs.

Or are you asking eSim to generate SOP routines for:

US

Germany

UK

Aust

Denmark

Well...

Sure.

All they can say is no in which case we're no worse off than before.

But...

What if they said yes?

Hmmmmm....

What if? :biggrin:

But that assumes every army uses the same SOPs.

Or are you asking eSim to generate SOP routines for:

US

Germany

UK

Aust

Denmark

Indeed, the "textbook" solution purely depends upon who's textbook you use, but such artificial "one schoolhouse for all" situations already exist in SB. After all, place a platoon on the map, give it march orders, and there goes the PL taking off in the lead. In most of the US Army, the two tank leads in the march, but most of the rest of the world does it the SB way, so the current order of march is "good enough" for government work. True, discreet SOPs for every country portrayed would be absurd, especially for PE, but such a system could be a selling point for the classroom and perhaps some "vanilla" type SOP could be added to PE.

But as Nils said if "we" want that in the classroom version we just man each tank.

At the CT and BG level where the AI controls the tank the BG commander doesn't care about that micro management stuff.

Same same Order of March, now that we have call signs we can just say X and Y lead and the people manning them do so, while at the higher level its not important.

Therefore I suspect there's a bunch of other things higher up this nationality's (at least) list and therefore I suspect the chance of it making it into PE is reduced, unless eSim do it off their own bat.

Cod, Haddock, bit of Scampi? :)

I hear Beef dripping is best for frying, not too healthy though.

(Sorry couldn't resist.)

Our local chip shop uses beef dripping, and their chips are fantastic :biggrin:

Now back to the thread,

I'd like to see airburst artillery implemented.

Edited by Crusty
Mong spelling.

+1 for airburst. ;)

airburst, proximity, delayed impact, timed , impact, double-fuse....there is a shitload of fuses to choose from :-)

And they are worth nil, if you can't tell your gun-s to fire X-groups of fuse Y plus X-groups of fuse Z for the given fire-mission