Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

I know but when you are getting arty you need to go and then you get away from arty just in time to hit the tree and kill a driver. I can understand nocking out a radio or something but killing crewmembers little frustrating.

Frustrating, yes.

But the sudden *bump* from hitting 70cm diameter tree will result in an equally sudden change of the tanks speed.

Result: you'll get a relative speed between crewmember and tank==> crewmember slams into something. The radio in bolted to the tank...damage there is much more unlikely!

Mind you, that these crewmember are not listed as "killed" but as "damaged". And they can be "repaired" using a medic.

Again, it is frustrating, but somewhat close to reality, if just to the extent that you want to teach crews that a full speed charge into the forest...is a plan that need improvement.

_--__[]KITT;218233']I thought Tanks with sufficiently large tonnage can roll over trees just fine with no problem.

Well, think again.

Factors are: what type of tree, how big and how mayn of 'em close together.

A deep rooted trunk of 50-80 cm diameter will put up significant resistance.

This may not stop the tank, but it may reduce its speed from 30 km/h to lets say 15 km/h.

Try slamming you head against a wall with 4-5 meters per second, and tell me how it feels :-P

Well, think again.

Factors are: what type of tree, how big and how mayn of 'em close together.

A deep rooted trunk of 50-80 cm diameter will put up significant resistance.

This may not stop the tank, but it may reduce its speed from 30 km/h to lets say 15 km/h.

Try slamming you head against a wall with 4-5 meters per second, and tell me how it feels :-P

One I don't think the trees portrayed in Steel Beasts are that large, they even look rather small in diameter(the trunk).

Second my head is not weighing 50-60 tonnes if it was I'm sure i'd crush trees as I push them with my 50-60 tonnes head. If you mean the crew bumping their head then for God's sake rolling over trees doesn't mean hitting them at full speed but slowly tumbling/crushing them one by one at very low speed.

the thing is in Steel Beasts we seem unable to crush trees.

_--__[]KITT;218238']the thing is in Steel Beasts we seem unable to crush trees.

You can knock plenty of trees over in SB if:

- its small enough

- you hit it at a slow speed.

Hitting a tree (unless its a sapling) while traveling flat out damages a whole bunch of delicate stuff inside the steel shell of the tank.

Things like:

Crew

Optics

Electrical equipment

Hydraulic lines

Running gear

The gun - if the muzzle is what hits the trunk

can all get damaged and that doesn't include the far more frequent (but not modelled) issue of barrel strike where the barrel is off the side of the hull (say 10 O'clock) and hits a tree as the vehicle goes past. Or indeed the bustle (or back of the turret) which in this case is hanging off the other side at 4 O'clock.

The resulting damage to the turret and traverse mechanism from this is almost always major.

There is a reason why in real life tanks travel slowly cross country through forests.

_--__[]KITT;218238']One I don't think the trees portrayed in Steel Beasts are that large' date=' they even look rather small in diameter.

Second my head is not weighing 50-60 tonnes. If you mean the crew bumping their head then rolling over trees doesn't mean hitting them at full speed but slowly tumbling/crushing them one by one at very low speed.

So I say to you you should think again....[/quote']

I think probably the best way to do it right now, because we don't have trees of various diameter, would be to randomize it.

If you are moving at slow or reverse speed, maybe you've got a 75% chance to crush the tree (and thus a 25% chance that the tree wins), a certain % chance to screw up external equipment like radios, and a 0% chance to injure your crew if the tree wins, because you're moving slowly enough.

The faster you go, the more likely you are to get injured or bust up equipment, you can break more important equipment, and you start taking crew casualties even if the tree doesn't win. Maybe at the higher speeds you might smash your GPS, TIS, Peri, or main gun. Maybe tanks with mine plows or rollers could break their mine clearing equipment, or APCs could suffer casualties among the troops.

...and that doesn't include the far more frequent (but not modelled) issue of barrel strike where the barrel is off the side of the hull (say 10 O'clock) and hits a tree as the vehicle goes past. Or indeed the bustle (or back of the turret) which in this case is hanging off the other side at 4 O'clock.

The resulting damage to the turret and traverse mechanism from this is almost always major.

There is a reason why in real life tanks travel slowly cross country through forests.

Now there's something! What if part of the "punishment" for moving high speed through forests was to have the gunner traverse the gun somewhere over the frontal arc, release the palm switches, and just sit there hoping his gun doesn't catch on a tree until his TC stops acting like a fool?

The tree type topic could be an issue here.

What type of SB trees can be knocked down? Can they be knocked down if they are map objects or if they are part of the ground type(i.e. "wood").

I remeber knocking down a dozen or so trees with a Bradley, IOT get a good field of fire for the TOW during a MP session.(curse the engineers...this was supposed to be their job ;-) )

So is there a list of the crushable trees?

But in any case, set you clocks because in about 8 weeks someone else is going to ask about cheap "add on" packs and of course tell everyone how "easy" they will be to do.

And Ssnake will respond with a personal, polite answer as if he had never been asked before. He is indeed super-human - but more a saint than a Cyclon...

:)

And Ssnake will respond with a personal, polite answer as if he had never been asked before. He is indeed super-human - but more a saint than a Cyclon...

:)

Cyclon, Cyclone or Cylon? I'm gonna assume Cylon. And what a Cylon supposed to be to you? I know all about Cylon in Battlestar Galactica.

It just seems a rather confusing or poorly construed sentence 'more a saint than a Cyclon(Cylon)'

Or do you mean more a saint than a traitor? Nevertheless I'm still confused....what does 'super human' have to do with being a saint and or a Cylon? Especially when a Cylon is actually non human.

Well you don't have to answer this I'm just curious what went in your head when writing this?:-P. Perhaps that's beer talking?! :biggrin:

• Members

As far as trees are concerned, it is what's called an abstraction. Our engine doesn't easily support tree densities that make it impossible to pass through between the trunks, as we can have only one tree per 12.5 x 12.5m tile (with certain tricks it's possible to go beyond that (see the Terrastan map), but only at a cost in frame rate and loading times (see the Terrastan map)).

From personal experience I know that high speed and tanks and forests don't mix well. It's not so much the tree trunks when you drive on a forest path (and many forest paths in Germany would qualify as a high quality road in other countries - proper, compressed gravel trails or even paved with asphalt). It's because a tank is at least 2.20m high - 2.50m for the Leopard 2 - and that at that height the heavier tree branches may grow over the road. So there's a quite real chance to get smacked with a 10...15cm diameter hard wood branch square into the face. I know of no decapitation case, but severe head injury is to be expected at 30...40km/h, especially at night when you don't see it coming. Even at broad daylight there are many other occasions where the attention of the vehicle commander is diverted from personal collision avoidance.

Rolling over trees is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it

a) at high velocity, and

b) while unbuttoned

Typically the tank's bow will shear off the tree at about 1.20m height above ground, so that the entire tree (less the stump) will fall over the tank and eventually roll over to the side. Any lumberjack who has received some timber to the head and is still alive to tell about his experience will assure you that it's a decidedly unpleasant episode. Another threat is that the rest of the tree stump will get tilted forward by the tank's movement, uprooting the rest of the tree with a decent chance to high-center it just the way how they lift racing cars in Formula 1 tire changes.

40cm diameter soft wood tree trunks may not be able to stop a tank. But if the tree tops entangle with neighboring trees, you're up against not one tree, but three or five of them. At that point it may withstand even repeated attempts to breach such an obstacle.

Furthermore, the crew is buttoned up, ballistic shield doors closed, and vision blocks obstructed by the debris and foliage of trees that were previously knocked over.

We decided to cut this complication from our model, and do with a simplification. High-speed collisions may disable crew members, and some trees may withstand the attempt to knock them down. That's it. Overall I think that this simplification is rather on the benign side of what could be expected in real life, and you can far easier avoid damage and injury than you can in real life, simply by avoiding collisions in the first place, if you act sensibly. Hopefully that's a lesson learned, then.

I understand what you are saying about hitting trees at high speed but I have pushed over several trees while in the service. I can understand a tree stoping a tank or even if your unbuttoned killing a TC or loader but the driver I can not understand. Once again Im not saying full speed into a tree but I have bumped into a tree at very low speed and killed my driver. I fear trees more than I do a tank shell. I was just wondering if there was a better way around it than to dodge every tree while trying to fight. And I thought this was the wish list.

• Administrators
hi the top of my wish list is to receive the the game i paid for twenty five days ago. I live in Brisbane Australia is this normal or has it gone to the postal gods,if there is some one in bris how long did you wait?

I think that delays of up to 6 weeks are not unheard of. If you want to make sure that it was shipped, you can use the comments form on the esim website to get in touch with the folks running the store.

hi the top of my wish list is to receive the the game i paid for twenty five days ago. I live in Brisbane Australia is this normal or has it gone to the postal gods,if there is some one in bris how long did you wait?

Aww 25 days....I received my upgrade disc in less than 2 weeks. But for most things I ordered online they usually take 4-8 weeks to arrive. I live in Indonesia here a stone throw away from Australia I guess :)

I'd think it's rare when shipment goes missing so I'd suggest a bit more patience. Perhaps it will arrive today or a few days from now. Also check if the shipping address was correct and accurate.