Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

HESCO and concrete wall sections can be added only in map editor.

Which to be frank, I think is fine.

A Company Commander (or even BG Commander) arriving at a position is not going to have the assets or the time to get HESCO brought up or deployed before his mission starts.

Sure he maybe occupying a stong point built by whoever he is taking over from and therefore placing these in the Map Editor as "permanent" pre existing structures works fine for me.

They did, sPzAbtl 503 fight IS3 successfully in Hungary 1944/45.

There are AAR and personal talkings with General von Roosen and Oberstleutnant Piepgras, serving in sPzAbtl 503 and PzBtl 184. I had the honor to talk to both.

BTW.: sPzAbt 503 had the most succesfull Tank Commander, Feldwebel Knispel with 162 Victories !!

Piepgras and von Roosen are not proud of what had happened or they did, but about their Troops !

Id like to see more types of field fortifications for dismounts and heavy weapons, please, such as improved vehicle fighting positions (2 or 3 tiered) and the ability to place some concrete and HESCO blocks in mission editor.

some don't realize that if someone wants a scenario with these items in it and another scenario without them, it currently requires two maps if the scenario occurs in the same area of the map. Why not give us the ability to just add and remove them in the mission editor?

Also brigade and soviet regimental level engineer equipment such as minelayers and Volcano would be great additions.

Id like to see ... and the ability to place some concrete and HESCO blocks in mission editor.

Well as I said a few posts up (just beforse the IS-III photos) at post #1152:

A Company Commander (or even BG Commander) arriving at a position is not going to have the assets or the time to get HESCO brought up or deployed before his mission starts.

Sure he maybe occupying a stong point built by whoever he is taking over from and therefore placing these in the Map Editor as "permanent" pre existing structures works fine for me.

BTW, there are already two tiered vehicle fighting positions.

There are AAR and personal talkings with General von Roosen and Oberstleutnant Piepgras, serving in sPzAbtl 503 and PzBtl 184. I had the honor to talk to both.

BTW.: sPzAbt 503 had the most succesfull Tank Commander, Feldwebel Knispel with 162 Victories !!

Piepgras and von Roosen are not proud of what had happened or they did, but about their Troops !

Thanks Eisenschwein.

I did a search on sSzABT 503.

Found a site giving a lots of detailed information.

Guest Killjoy

As in Kurt Knispel?

Now that's a real tanker.

Id like to see more types of field fortifications for dismounts and heavy weapons, please, such as improved vehicle fighting positions (2 or 3 tiered) and the ability to place some concrete and HESCO blocks in mission editor.

some don't realize that if someone wants a scenario with these items in it and another scenario without them, it currently requires two maps if the scenario occurs in the same area of the map. Why not give us the ability to just add and remove them in the mission editor?

Also brigade and soviet regimental level engineer equipment such as minelayers and Volcano would be great additions.

We al ready have Volcano, just follow the trail of Hater-aid bottles.......:biggrin::cul:

The ability to change dismounted unit "types" in the Mission Editor.

For example:

Say I want an APC to carry a TOW team.

Current solution:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Delete its troops

- Add Missile team in close proximity to now empty APC

- Once the mission starts, manually load the missile team into the APC.

Suggestion:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Change the unit type from Infantry to Missile Team

- Load the missile team

- Once the mission starts, missile team has an association with that APC, retains the relevant call sign, etc.

Edited by Gibsonm
Removed the incorrect reference to vehicles

Wasn't IS-3 introduced too late to see any action in European theater? At least in terms of armor vs armor actions.

I won't be surprised if "IS-3" written in the AAR is actually German designation of IS-2 obr. 1944 since Germans wouldn't know nor care if the Soviets called both IS-2 1943 and 1944 models as simply "IS-2."

Well, IS-3 certainly wasn't around anywhere near frontline in 1944...

The ability to change unit "types" in the Mission Editor.

For example:

Current solution:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Delete its troops

Suggestion:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Load the missile team

- Once the mission starts, missile team has an association with that APC, retains the relevant call sign, etc.

For infantry....Seconded! (see below)

This change command could be limited to unit type (so say change one tank type for another, but not change a tank into a truck).

So if you want a version of a scenario with M1 and it currently is Leo 2, you could just change the type and save as a new name, instead of deleting all the M1 icons and creating new icons with Leo 2 and having to recreate routes, etc.

Thought this works with vehicles already....:confused:

(Right click unit icon, set unit type.)

Thought this works with vehicles already....:confused:

(Right click unit icon, set unit type.)

Yes, but it doesn't effect platoon size. Most Leo platoons are x3, M1 x4, so to change a scenario: delete the existing platoon(s) > make new ones of the appropriate type and size > recreate the deleted routes.

The ability to change unit "types" in the Mission Editor.

For example:

Current solution:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Delete its troops

Suggestion:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Load the missile team

This change command could be limited to unit type (so say change one tank type for another, but not change a tank into a truck).

So if you want a version of a scenario with M1 and it currently is Leo 2, you could just change the type and save as a new name, instead of deleting all the M1 icons and creating new icons with Leo 2 and having to recreate routes, etc.

Seconded. Heavily.

Next one.

The ability to travel "under" bridges.

Aerial view of an intersection:

8257798635_05af601e32_c.jpg

Nice looking "overpass" bridges:

8257798413_144c5b6903_c.jpg

Unfortunately while traffic (ironically on the minor road here) can go over the overpass, the main highway (under the overpass) is blocked to all traffic.

To get it to work you need to "flatten" the entire intersection:

8258866528_b2e9282d6b_c.jpg

While this does work, its nowhere near as "pretty" / "immersive" as the first screenshot and denies the ability to perhaps drop the overpasses via demolition to cut the road (and maybe the highway beneath).

This applies to railway bridges over roads too.

The ability to change dismounted unit "types" in the Mission Editor.

For example:

Current solution:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Delete its troops

Suggestion:

- Choose an APC

- Unload its troops

- Load the missile team

+1

This is probably one of the most needed changes to the Mission Editor in my opinion. A couple of other minor things I'd like to see:

- Ability to toggle the MG Squad's machine gun calibre between 7.62mm and 5.56/5.45mm

- A dedicated Engineer unit for RED

- Ability to toggle the MG Squad's machine gun calibre between 7.62mm and 5.56/5.45mm.

I think you'll find the HMG is limited to 7.62mm or 0.50" because, well its a "H" MG.

They are designed to support the Platoon with longer range fires/ better stopping power and tend to come from the Support Section or Weapons Company, not organic to the Section / Squads of the Platoon itself.

The Section / Squad tends to carry a 7.62mm or 5.56mm weapon to provide support within the Section or Platoon.

This weapon can be adjusted between 7.62 and 5.56 (and even 5.45mm) by adjusting the weapon in the Infantry Squad / Section itself.

I think you'll find the HMG is limited to 7.62mm or 0.50" because, well its a "H" MG.

They are designed to support the Platoon with longer range fires/ better stopping power and tend to come from the Support Section or Weapons Company, not organic to the Section / Squads of the Platoon itself.

The Section / Squad tends to carry a 7.62mm or 5.56mm weapon to provide support within the Section or Platoon.

This weapon can be adjusted between 7.62 and 5.56 (and even 5.45mm) by adjusting the weapon in the Infantry Squad / Section itself.

Sure, I appreciate that, but because the 7.62mm M/HMG is not necessarily organic to the squad/section/platoon (the Soviet motorised rifle platoon with only the 5.45mm RPK-74 organic to it is the example I’m thinking of) I’d like an easy way for the scenario designer to reflect that in the Mission Editor if they wish to. Having a toggle allows either example to be modelled. It may be pedantic but it is a wish list after all :)

You could just set two of the squads to have no ammunition for their MGs and then set the third squad's to be the RPK?

Are you sure there's only one RPK per Platoon (not one per Squad)?

No, according to my trusty FM 100-2-3 there’s three RPKs per platoon (one per BTR/BMP) but I see what you’re saying: I could just set 7.62mm ammunition to zero and that would leave only 5.45mm ammunition selected for the remainder of the squad.

I wonder if that effectively leaves one squad member without a weapon though? Does it also leave the squad without the higher and sustained rate of fire provided by a SAW/LMG over the default assault rifle or not? I feel like I’m disappearing down a rabbit hole here... hence why I requested an ammo selection toggle in the first place. Maybe I'll just stick with the 7.62mm MMG until then and imagine they scrounged a PKM from somewhere. Must... imagine... harder :D

No, according to my trusty FM 100-2-3 there’s three RPKs per platoon (one per BTR/BMP) but I see what you’re saying: I could just set 7.62mm ammunition to zero and that would leave only 5.45mm ammunition selected for the remainder of the squad.

OK my turn to be confused.

If you want the squad MG to be 5.45mm why not just select it under the MG squad's ammunition options?

That would give you three squads per platoon, each equipped with a 5.45mm LMG in additon to their other personal weapons.

Unless you want an additional MG above and beyond the "norm" (and for which there isn't room in a vehicle) you don't need the dedicated HMG unit.