Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

More modularity in the vehicles.

I understand this has the ability to make things unrealistic with a quickness (Leo 2 with RWS mounted TOW and twin 120mm's would not be the intent here) but if done with the right options for each vehicle it could produce some amazing simulation. Could also cut down on model sizes instead of doing each model, have a baseline then discreet packages for upgrades. For example:

In mission editor would select M1 Abrams, then be given options for upgrades: M1A1, M1A1 AIM, M1A1 AIM SA, M1A2 SEP, etc. All of these options could then be fitted with TUSK, plow, rollers, SLAT armor, CROWS, etc.

The GUI could also work in vehicle/crew paint/camo schemes to be variable for each vehicle/unit.

Apoligies for the yankee references, I know y'all love the tanks of the Vaterland but I try to speak on what I know.

I understand this has the ability to make things unrealistic with a quickness (Leo 2 with RWS mounted TOW and twin 120mm's would not be the intent here) but if done with the right options for each vehicle it could produce some amazing simulation.
In mission editor would select M1 Abrams, then be given options for upgrades: M1A1, M1A1 AIM, M1A1 AIM SA, M1A2 SEP, etc. All of these options could then be fitted with TUSK, plow, rollers, SLAT armor, CROWS, etc.

No thanks.

Even your example shows how unrealistic it can be:

M1A1 with Tusk = Never happened.

I stand corrected. :)

Having said that though this feature is already implemented (albeit perhaps not as universally as you'd like).

Create a missile team and you'll see and optional weapon choice for Milan, TOW, Javelin, RBS-70, AT-3, etc.

Create an MG team and they get a choice of MG.

Create a Lemur or Bushmaster or ... and you will see a choice of 0.50" RWS or 40mm RWS or several other optional weapon types.

OK, it seems I can't help myself, maybe just one more teeny weeny "wish" for the "list"...

pt76.jpg

An AI-controlled PT-76 to round out the stable of Cold War (and later) OPFOR. I think it would make an interesting addition to the game.

I'd still love a PT-76 but, as another addition to our Soviet-era OPFOR, how about an ASU-85 as well?

asu-85-DNST8611169_JPG.jpg

I'd still love a PT-76 but, as another addition to our Soviet-era OPFOR, how about an ASU-85 as well?

asu-85-DNST8611169_JPG.jpg

The PT-76 would make a great addition.

I have read its has excellent amphibious capability's.

And is good on all types of ground. The recon enthusiasts would love it

Any additional VDV vehicles would be great for cold war type missions

I have been experimenting with ways to replicate a VDV airborne assault

Using hinds as MI_26's and spawning BMD's if they reach there objective

So any additional VDV equipment would be great asking for a Antonov An-124 would

Be pushing it even for me.LoL

...asking for a Antonov An-124 would

Be pushing it even for me.LoL

Yeah, just a bit. :biggrin:

I remember reading about the Russian Airborne in Combat Arms magazine (no longer published) and was very impressed with all the organic vehicles available to this branch. And although the combat vehicles would be no match against MBTs or even IFV's, they did provide a high degree of mobility. A fully mechanized airborne unit was very unique indeed.

Probably too late for the upcoming edition unfortunately, but the valiant Markovski Regiment has a request. Soviet tactics often involve advancing behind a smoke screen (which is why Soviet tanks project their smoke grenades much further forward than Western ones), but with just one player per company this is almost impossible to do. It just takes too long for the company commander to cycle through every tank in his three platoons.

So would it be possible to add a 'Pop Smoke' command to the right click menu for each unit? Just below the Engine Smoke command would be perfect. (This would also be handy for Western platoon commanders when the time comes to fall back). Hopefully, this would not be a major codeing challenge.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mmm, Sovietly. *Drools* :)

Markovskiovitch? We must at all times guard against syllable creep as practiced in past years by the illiterate and incoherent American President Bush Jnr. And bear in mind that the last five year plan did not produce the number of new syllables it was supposed to Comrade. And they all began with Z. The minister for syllables has therefore been replaced.

You can do that now with triggers setup in the Mission Editor.

Similarly, you can set up a smoke barrage to replicate the Tk Coy firing all its smoke grenades as it assaults.

Mark, are you saying that smoke barrages can be preplanned in various places and activated by triggers at a suitable time? Not quite as good as a platoon-level 'pop smoke' command in the map view IMHO, but almost. And it has the enormous advantage of already existing! Thanks for the tip.

Mark, are you saying that smoke barrages can be preplanned in various places and activated by triggers at a suitable time?

Yes.

Or they can be triggered "automatically" if you satisfy a condition.

E.g. If a company of T-72s enter Region X fire the smoke mission for Region Y (so many metres in front of X).

Markovskiovitch? We must at all times guard against syllable creep as supposed to Comrade. And they all began with Z. The minister for syllables has therefore been replaced.

Correct comrade.

There are now fewer but better soviets

Yes.

Or they can be triggered "automatically" if you satisfy a condition.

E.g. If a company of T-72s enter Region X fire the smoke mission for Region Y (so many metres in front of X).

Thanks Mark. Not being a mission designer, I'm interested mostly in what can be achieved in the planning and execution phases. And arty is not my strong point. (One of many actually :( ) I guess it's possible to designate barrages early in the game for later 'on request' activation?

Question: I've seen this a thousand times on here [the SB forum] but can't seem to figure out what all of the hype is about. I am curious to know just to get on the same level. Why does everyone and their dog want a cast-turret Leo-1?

Well "a" person has lobbied for it for a while (not in itself a bad thing, lots of people lobby for their pet vehicle / feature).

However a bunch of others have started to make similar comments to parody/ "take the p*ss" that person in a nice hearted way.

Hence you'll see posts about "what's wrong?" because they haven't seen a post about it for a few days.

Or when a post is made saying "yes telegraph poles (or something else in the photo) should indeed be modelled".

Question: I've seen this a thousand times on here [the SB forum] but can't seem to figure out what all of the hype is about. I am curious to know just to get on the same level. Why does everyone and their dog want a cast-turret Leo-1?
Well "a" person has lobbied for it for a while (not in itself a bad thing, lots of people lobby for their pet vehicle / feature).

However a bunch of others have started to make similar comments to parody/ "take the p*ss" that person in a nice hearted way.

Hence you'll see posts about "what's wrong?" because they haven't seen a post about it for a few days.

Or when a post is made saying "yes telegraph poles (or something else in the photo) should indeed be modelled".

That's a point, I haven't seen a new one of those 32,000 odd photos of a particularly well armoured bush lately.