Azure Lion

Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

2 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Now knowing we have amphibious capability in SB, the obvious questions is, what water mark (legend on map) should we look for that dictates a amphibious vehicle can cross/move through it?

If it swims, it swims, no matter how deep the water is.

7 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Yes, knew the first gen Bradley had the curtain set up, but red that it didn´t turn out to good, and you could not shoot once the curtain was up.  I just wonderd if they ever got around a better kit after the first gen.

It became irrelevant because they up armoured it so it was no longer amphibious. Same thing with the weapon ports - subsequent up armouring blocked off the ports.

7 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Now knowing we have amphibious capability in SB, the obvious questions is, what water mark (legend on map) should we look for that dictates a amphibious vehicle can cross/move through it?  As in shallow water maybe etc.  Or is it by trail and error?

Well you need to look for suitable entry and exit points.

Once you are in the water it will float - its the getting in and out that are the tricky bit.

There is no "ford" or similar marker on the map. There are points that the map will suggest are more "likely" than others (e.g.: a water course cutting into hill creating a gorge is unlikely) but you need to do a reconnaissance in the 3D world and look at slope, vegetation, terrain type, etc.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thank you both!

Yes, I did get stuck in a some what narrow stream once with a M113, but my guess was that I was hitting the sloped part beneath the water while trying to get across. Strangely enough the vehicle before me (another M113) did cross the same spot. Maybe I hit a rock :D

Well, good to know, new things to think on now.

Thanks!

BTW, before I asked about amphibious vehicles, I did check the M series as I stated before. The SB wiki does not say which vehicles are amphibious (like the M113A1), but it does state which are NOT amphibious. I havent checked them all, I went for the M series as that´s the most obvious one.

M113A1: (amphibious)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=M113A1

M113AS4: (not amphibious)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=M113AS4

and sorry for the off-topic here folks.

Red

- Merkava tank should be great, Merkava 1 and 2 and maybe merkava 3/ baz if not too much secret tank

- M1A2 SEP v2 with CROWS, DRVC, and why not add the possibility to use ARAT 1/ ARAT 2 /TUSK kit in option.

- M2A3 Bradley should be great with improved sights and CIV

- M1A1 AIM SA should be great. It's a all around M1A1, it can be used for US /ANG scenarios, australian and others M1A1 SA users and it's a very close tank to the USMC M1A1. 

- Stryker should be great

- if leclerc can't be done, other french AFV should be welcome like AMX-13, 30, 30B2, 40, 10RC, 10P.

On 2018-11-07 at 9:32 PM, Ssnake said:

If it swims, it swims, no matter how deep the water is.

Is there any way possible in a future update to add a fording feature of any armoured vehicles that have quick fording capabilities? An example would be the Leopard 2 series with their ability to ford water up to the top of the turret within minimum preparation. (2-5 mins prep time).

P.S. I apologize if this has been brought up in this thread before

Edited by Gunslinger668
Post Script

1 hour ago, Gunslinger668 said:

Is there any way possible in a future update to add a fording feature of any armoured vehicles that have quick fording capabilities? An example would be the Leopard 2 series with their ability to ford water up to the top of the turret within minimum preparation. (2-5 mins prep time).

P.S. I apologize if this has been brought up in this thread before

Well it takes a bit more than 2-5 mins.

If you do that without:

Bank recon

Recovery assets in place

etc.

Then your are risking a lot.

Deep Fording takes exponentially longer - turret seals, etc.

30 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well it takes a bit more than 2-5 mins.

If you do that without:

Bank recon

Recovery assets in place

etc.

Then your are risking a lot.

Deep Fording takes exponentially longer - turret seals, etc.

I agree with deep fording and operational planning, but preparing a Leopard 2A4, 2A4M, 2A6M CAN tanks for fording up to the top of the turret is extremely simple and only requires the placing of 3 plugs, the flick of 2 switches, a small hand pump and your ready to go (that is where my 2-5 min figure comes from, as I've done it with a crew timed). I am just curious because all that would be required to implement it would be a key combo if possible. Also, from a lot of the SB sces I have played, often players just look for a spot on the terrain where two fingers of land allow for a quick crossing of a river. Implementing a shallow fording (up to and not above the turret) ability would make it a bit for realistic IMO.

You can already ford water up to the hatch in the Leopard 2 in SB. The problem is finding water that you KNOW isn't deeper than that and which isn't so slippery that you get stuck in it even if you don't get flooded:

The Warsaw Pact propaganda films that had hordes of T series tanks dashing into a river and popping up the other side weren't referred to as "How we Concreted the Elbe" for nothing. :) 

15 hours ago, BlackDeath said:

What about a WW1 Mark smthg tank? After all, Esims logo represents it :)

I agree.

It would be great fun taking on a M1 or leo-2 in a WW1 tank

Max speed 5-MPH  Armour so thin you can nearly see through it.

Esim, will also have to replicate the crew suffocating from the engine fumes.

Also do they make a male or female variant. LoL

Still it would be fun.

Edited by Marko

I briefly considered the addition of WW1 tanks for a possible historical expansion around 1999/2000/2001, but the reality is that these tanks wouldn't be much fun to begin with, and require a huge effort with very little gain (aside satisfying the military history nerds in us).

• You'd need deep mud,
  • elaborate trench networks,
  • ideally in the historical locations,
  • you'd NEED multiplayer to switch gears,
  • you'd have unstabilized views (but you wouldn't see much anyway),
  • the master volume level should only allow the settings "maximum" and "infernal"
  • you'd need to play hours in real-time to just cover a handful of miles
  • you couldn't coordinate your actions with infantry, artillery, or other tanks for that matter
  • you wouldn't really know where you were, or whether your assault was effective until you ran out of fuel, or ammo, or luck

You might call it the grand post-modernist experience - but neither from an entertainment not a training & education point of view it would offer much, to be honest. We're not an art studio, eSim Games is a training company.

Editor Wish:

An additional 'drain region' option or variation of, whereby, units draining into the region remain in the destination drain region, rather than being returned to a spawn pool for respawning.

9 hours ago, Breakthrough7 said:

An additional 'drain region' option or variation of, whereby, units draining into the region remain in the destination drain region, rather than being returned to a spawn pool for respawning.

This is now filed under bug #6722 (even though it isn't a bug, technically speaking, but an enhancement/new feature request).

4 hours ago, BlackDeath said:

Is that even possible ?

We could use some artistic licence,

And fit spike ATGM.s launchers on the mark-1. LoL