Azure Lion

Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

11 hours ago, delta6 said:

Artillery flares...For the ones that like to shoot people at night with out thermals or tis in the vehicles...

that's a good one...

I'd like to see a way for dismounts to fight at night. Currently, in-game dismounts (LMG/HMG, specifically) are equipped with NVG but cannot aim down weapon sights. Weapon lasers would be a good way to offset the need to model fancy thermal optics.

special-forces-laser-600.jpg

In another sim I play Silent Hunter 4 the jap destroyers shoot flares when one of their convoys are attacked and you can really see the tracers...These are HINTS sbpro...

I wrote about this in depth before. The rub is in striking the balance between firing illumination too much, and too little for AI units. You would want to fire illumination if you SUSPECT enemy presence in your sector. Humans can act on gut feeling. But we need to find a binary rule for this. This is really hard.

A convoy situation is much easier to handle. If the first ship blows up, you start firing flares. That's pretty simple. And our AI will do that as soon as we have land convoys under threat of land subs. Okay, maybe that's needlessly sarkastic. I'm just saying here, the situation isn't comparable. There's illumination available only in limited quantity. AI can't shoot it all night; besides, that would announce their locations very well. Assuming that AI units will each have illumination for their sector for 15 minutes in total per day/night cycle and the time between last and first light is four hours, we need to weed out at least 94% of all false alarms. That's the target. If you're under fire already, well, that's absolute certainty that you're in contact. Fire the illumination at will. But that means ceding the moment of surprise completely to the side with better night vision equipment, IOW a losing proposal for classic WP forces. We need something better. And about three to six months of development time without interruptions.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to do. I'm just saying, it's nothing that you do on the side. The shader magic etc. isn't easy (you can't have too many dynamic light sources without overtaxing the graphics card) but it's probably the easiest part of the whole thing. The underlying high level AI is the real challenge. Officially, Steel Beasts doesn't support night combat, only extended twilight scenarios. For most training situations that's good enough. We haven't done nothing in the last years about this, but I want us to do it right, so I'm not rushing this job.

Will we be getting the M-48A3's??? Vietnam style...I am a Viet Nam vet and I would love to take my Big Boy out once more for some jungle fun...If you do put it in could you make it look like the photo...VN Vets are some real nit picky tankers...Make sure we can drive gun and T.C. it...

27987458331_a806d34641_b.jpg

Edited by delta6
spelling

Crewable T90S.

widespread use of tank. ( biggest user of export T90's India)

same fire control and  1G46 sighting system as the T80U, but with a ESSA thermal sight installed.

Edited by Kev2go