Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

The ability to edit the unit names in the Mission Editor conditional logic dialogue boxes.

Currently you cycle through all the units, which is great for 20 units but for a BDE is can be painful.

Can we maybe:

- Have a pull down list; or

- Be able to "copy and paste" (say click on the unit, then click in the box and the entry defaults to whatever you clicked on); or

- "Drag and drop" the icon over the field and the icon goes back to the map but the field is updated with the unit name; or

- Be able to type the unit names in directly (could be problematic if you miss a "space", etc.).

On a related topic if the unit in question has passengers and you select "dismount" or satisfy the conditions of "dismount if ..." then the subsequent routes limit themselve to the carrying platform or the dismounts it carries (again shortening the list).

For example:

APC 1A has a route to waypoint 1.

At waypoint 1 it dismounts its troops.

You want fire team 1A-1 to go on one route, MG team 1A-2 to go on another and the platform (Truck, APC, Helo, ...) 1A to go on a 3rd.

So in a perfect world the "embark if ..." route conditions eminating from waypoint 1 cycles around "1A", "1A-1" and "1A-2" instead of the bunch of other units available.

Currently you cycle through all the units, which is great for 20 units but for a BDE is can be painful.

To my everlasting shame, after posting a request for the feature, I discovered that the text boxes WILL accept mouse wheel input, making it much less of a PITA to cycle through values. Might help, if you haven't tried yet.

Can we maybe:

. . .

- Be able to type the unit names in directly (could be problematic if you miss a "space", etc.).

Auto-complete would work here.

• 3 weeks later...

Something that should be very simple - says he who knows less than nothing about computer coding. :)

The ablility to set the text size and colour for on map text to a persistent format. (So you don't have to change it every time you put up new text).

Hi guys, I'm new to this excellent game and to the forums but i thought i would share my wish list too having played a bit now and being able to compare it to the Arma universe i have alot of experience in.

Compass or Bearing indicator. - would really really help in navigation and general orientation for me.

Abrams CROWS system, or at the very least a less 'in your face' perspective when using the unbuttoned 50 on the M1A2. on a related note is it just me or does the gunner always stop firing when you use the 50?

crew member models - would add a lot in the way of immersion for me, although tbh i find i am INCREDIBLY immersed when playing this game anyway so not a deal breaker. :P

wider ability to copy/paste in the editor would be nice.

Oh, and a way to convince more of my shallow fellow tank enthusiasts from Arma 3 to give this amazing simulator a go.. such a shame... It makes Arma feel like an arcade game lol :P

Welcome!

Compass or Bearing indicator. - would really really help in navigation and general orientation for me.

There already is one.

North is the top of the screen and in the 3D world there is:

1. In view mode, a small red turret in the top right corner of the screen with the barrel showing where you are looking (again North is the top of the screen).

2. While playing with a unit, there is a reddish looking vehicle outline in the bottom right hand corner.

The front of the hull of that outline corresponds to your orientation in the real world and the white dot shows you which direction you are looking.

Abrams CROWS system, or at the very least a less 'in your face' perspective when using the unbuttoned 50 on the M1A2. on a related note is it just me or does the gunner always stop firing when you use the 50?

Um, stand up?

In the Commander's view (F7 using the default key mapping), hit "Q" twice (again based on the default key mapping).

Oh, and a way to convince more of my shallow fellow tank enthusiasts from Arma 3 to give this amazing simulator a go.. such a shame... It makes Arma feel like an arcade game lol :P

Well get them to buy the shortest "time based" license and give it a go.

What is it US$10 or something to try it out for a month or something?

Something that should be very simple - says he who knows less than nothing about computer coding. :)

The ablility to set the text size and colour for on map text to a persistent format. (So you don't have to change it every time you put up new text).

Not quite what you are after, but you can "shift click" on several pieces of text, then right click and select settings for size, colour, etc. that apply to all the selected items.

Welcome!

There already is one.

North is the top of the screen and in the 3D world there is:

1. In view mode, a small red turret in the top right corner of the screen with the barrel showing where you are looking (again North is the top of the screen).

2. While playing with a unit, there is a reddish looking vehicle outline in the bottom right hand corner.

The front of the hull of that outline corresponds to your orientation in the real world and the white dot shows you which direction you are looking.

I am aware of this. it is a poor substitute in my opinion. Too used to giving and receiving exact bearings i guess...

Um, stand up?

In the Commander's view (F7 using the default key mapping), hit "Q" twice (again based on the default key mapping).

yeah..uh you know i have actually played the game right? :P started it up and everything... I spend most of my time unbuttoned for the situational awareness but my point was that;

A) none of the M2 configurations on the abrams tanks have any degree of FOV adjustment, The CROWS system does (up to x25 i believe).

B)Like the M1A1's periscope you would not have to expose yourself to enemy fire in order to utilize the system.

Maybe I should amend my suggestion to be a system on the M1A1 AIM rather than the M1A2 but i still think it would be a nice addition. I find the M2's at present to be not particularly useful...

Well get them to buy the shortest "time based" license and give it a go.

What is it US$10 or something to try it out for a month or something?

yeah its literally like £5 in uk money. but i have some REALLY shallow freinds lol :P

I am aware of this. it is a poor substitute in my opinion. Too used to giving and receiving exact bearings i guess...

Well its what you get in real life.

Almost no tank has a real compass attached - something to do with being encased in 60+ tonnes of steel.

The nearest you'll see will be an FO vehicle and that will give you and "exact" bearing in mils - much better than degrees.

Here's a more extensive discussion on the topic:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19984&highlight=compass

yeah..uh you know i have actually played the game right? :P started it up and everything... I spend most of my time unbuttoned for the situational awareness but my point was that;

A) none of the M2 configurations on the abrams tanks have any degree of FOV adjustment, The CROWS system does (up to x25 i believe).

B)Like the M1A1's periscope you would not have to expose yourself to enemy fire in order to utilize the system.

Maybe I should amend my suggestion to be a system on the M1A1 AIM rather than the M1A2 but i still think it would be a nice addition. I find the M2's at present to be not particularly useful...

yeah its literally like £5 in uk money. but i have some REALLY shallow freinds lol :P

CROWS 2:

Four-Axis Targeting System

Three-Axis Vector Stabilization

Day Camera: 27X, FOV 1.7 to 47 deg.

Night Camera (thermal): 10 degrees, 5 degrees, 3.3 degrees, and 1.7 degrees.

Auto Focus (Day and Thermal)

Auto Tracker / Auto Lead / Auto Scan

Laser Range Finder

Target Reference Points

Elevation: +60 degrees

Depression: -20 degrees

2000 meters for identifying targets, range of fire depends on weapon mounted.

Also the M1A2 SEP is a very good tank. You just need to learn how to use it and how its FCS works. You don't have to use the FLEX 50.

Edited by dta delta

• Members
Compass or Bearing indicator

Has already been discussed, with link to in-depth discussion of the topic, it seems.

Abrams CROWS system

Developing a remote weapon system is about as much work as developing an entire new vehicle. There's artwork to be created, and above all, a fire control system and a user interface to be replicated. This is serious work that we can't do on a whim. We have so far implemented two RWSs in Steel Beasts (currently working on a third). Unfortunately the US Army hasn't asked us yet to develop a simulation for the CROWS. We'd need access to the thing and support by someone trained on it. I won't rule out that one day we'll get around to doing it. It certainly falls right into our field of expertise. But like with so many other things you need all of the following elements to be in place: Talent, opportunity, and means. If only one is missing, it doesn't work out.

on a related note is it just me or does the gunner always stop firing when you use the 50?

You're right, and as far as I am informed, this is the standard procedure. If as the commander you're trying to fire an unstabilized heavy MG with precision, it doesn't help if the turret swings uncontrollably as the gunner looks for other targets. If he did, you'd just make a lot of noise and endanger eventual bystanders, but certainly not hit your intended target.

wider ability to copy/paste in the editor would be nice.

I agree. :)

Not quite what you are after, but you can "shift click" on several pieces of text, then right click and select settings for size, colour, etc. that apply to all the selected items.

Well, that certainly helps. Thank you.

Well its what you get in real life.

Almost no tank has a real compass attached - something to do with being encased in 60+ tonnes of steel.

The nearest you'll see will be an FO vehicle and that will give you and "exact" bearing in mils - much better than degrees.

Here's a more extensive discussion on the topic:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19984&highlight=compass

Thank you for the Clarification on that one, lol I will admit that most of my 'wishes' are born of assumptions based on inaccuracies in the amra series :P although mils were used in Arma 2 (ACE) for making arty corrections etc

You're right, and as far as I am informed, this is the standard procedure. If as the commander you're trying to fire an unstabilized heavy MG with precision, it doesn't help if the turret swings uncontrollably as the gunner looks for other targets. If he did, you'd just make a lot of noise and endanger eventual bystanders, but certainly not hit your intended target.

This is a great explanation thank you, makes sense really. lol. Would this be the same for the loaders 240?

Going back to something else i mentioned. Has the idea of adding crew models ever been considered? Although it doesn't add a huge amount in the way of functionality it would still be useful i think, for example being able to see when other commanders are turned out or possibly to enable the AI loader to make use of the aforementioned M240...