Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

We´re talking (i´m wishing) of the real deal. Leo 1 with cast Turret is the Mother of (nearly) all modern Tanks, much more build than the welded Turret Version.

- First Tank with Night Vision capabilities

- Quicker than T Series (and always as quick as the M1)

- Over 40 Years upgrated

- Easy to handle and to maintain

- First one with a independent Commander Sight

- Foundet by PORSCHE ;)

- Build over 1400 Times and still in Service (after nearly 50 Years since developed)

- Easy to bring to SB

- And most important: The Tank I served with for 12 Years !!

If you ask where is the difference between Leo1A5 and Leo 1A5 DK, ask yourself were are the difference between T72 M and T 80 !

Oh, just forgot: I like round silhouettes (.)(.)

If you ask where is the difference between Leo1A5 and Leo 1A5 DK, ask yourself were are the difference between T72 M and T 80 !

OK, I'm a big fan of the 1A5-DK in SB (and in most scenarios it represents a German 1A5 anyway) but I'm keen to understand the actual difference between the DK and DE versions other than cast turret and applique armour? What’s the “secret sauce” that makes the DE version a T-80 versus the DK version’s T-72?

• Members
What’s the “secret sauce” that makes the DE version a T-80 versus the DK version’s T-72?

None. It's just Eisen's pet peeve (to which he's entitled just like anyone else).

The protection level is the same, the fire control system is the same, the armament and automotive performance are identical, so from a functional perspective there is absolutely no relevant difference of which I would know.

A few functional suggestions for the map screen, most a result of using it with a MBPro laptop trackpad which is cranky under bootcamp. I should note that i can't use one of those little mini-mice due to RSI issues, so trackpad or wacom tablet are my traveling options.

+ A tick box next to the scale slider to lock zoom, or a hot key. Trackpad is too sensitive and often zooms whenever I try to double click.

+ Pressing spacebar should allow scrolling of map without also pressing mouse button.

And a few I think i would be handy for everyone:

+ Right-click to New Waypoint should have a submenu with preset tactics, similar to the way New Route works. Much easier than trying to reselect the waypoint and then change tactics, which is surprisingly difficult with a trackpad.

+ Selecting waypoint and right click should include a 'View' option to go to 3D view in that exact place.

thanks.

Edited by Pakfront

• Members
A few functional suggestions for the map screen, ...

+ A tick box next to the scale slider to lock zoom, or a hot key.

Have you tried the + key and the one to its left (depending on the keyboard... in my case its's the "ü")

+ Pressing spacebar should allow scrolling of map without also pressing mouse button.

Have you tried the arrow keys (no space bar held down), or the middle mouse button?

How about a free cam which isn't locked to a vehicle or unit. One where you can move about the battlefield at will. :diable:

Some will point out, rightly so, that a feature like that could be used to cheat. It could, of course.

To preclude that make it an option. In single player if the player wants to float about the battlefield who are we to decide he can't.

In Multiplayer let the host select whether free cam is available or not.

It might be useful in the military version too: One wonders how many times a game umpire or instructor has wanted to take a quick god's eye view of the action.

A prominent strategy or tactic been adopted, in customized versions pending what nationality, are defensive asymmetric in nature. A combination of special or insurgent groups and conventional forces used in an asymmetric role, such as the Iranian Mosaic Doctrine. A lot of these tactics include concealing armor in tunnels. Not just dug in potions but tanks popping out of the side of mountains etc. The types of action or scenarios future ground forces might well face, if offensive, is this kind of strategy. Surly this would have training value if considering offensive team tactics? I note you have to more work on defensive potions, but how about the ability to make a deep tunnel into the side of a hill?

How about a free cam which isn't locked to a vehicle or unit. One where you can move about the battlefield at will. :diable:

Some will point out, rightly so, that a feature like that could be used to cheat. It could, of course.

To preclude that make it an option. In single player if the player wants to float about the battlefield who are we to decide he can't.

In Multiplayer let the host select whether free cam is available or not.

It might be useful in the military version too: One wonders how many times a game umpire or instructor has wanted to take a quick god's eye view of the action.

You can do it now while testing a scenarios in the mission editor.

You can do it now while testing a scenarios in the mission editor.

True: But not what I asked for.

I'd use the free cam feature with fraps to make battle videos. And during single player after all my units had smart paths created for the initial battle plan turn on free cam and watch to see how it worked.

Can't do that in the mission editor.

Since the feature is available in the military version seems like it would be easy enough to flip a switch in the compiler, add a library or the appropriate routines etc.

All the work is already done. Just turn it on!

werewolf, in mission editor, when testing a scenerio, go to map view and right click and select view, that allows u the free camera to do what your talking about. Just in case you didnt already know.

Doing this often I also get the problem with unfragmented ram memory. It won't load. Same as previewing maps often in map editor. I have 6Gb of memory in my system. This spring getting new system and I make sure to put a lot of ram in it ;) Hopefully the problem will be gone.

Doing this often I also get the problem with unfragmented ram memory. It won't load. Same as previewing maps often in map editor. I have 6Gb of memory in my system. This spring getting new system and I make sure to put a lot of ram in it ;) Hopefully the problem will be gone.

I too have 6Gb of ram and if I want to use the view (F1 key) in the editor I have to make sure I have disabled as much as I can in processes / services and stop all those I don't need for the job at hand, it also make SB run a bit smoother and quicker. Even after hours of map editing going in and out of View I've not had it stop, the first time in view takes the longest to load up but after that it is quick.

I found my slight stutter while playing was down to Windows Home Server Connector services running in the background and polling the server every so often.

Since SB is a 32 bit application, anything more than 4 GB of RAM will not be used. (More likely 3 GB, leaving some RAM for the OS). So buying more RAM will not help...

From the release notes:

Steel Beasts Pro PE is a 32-bit application and is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP. It is also compatible with 64-bit versions of these operating systems, however it will not utilize extended 64-bit addressing.

- Rump

Yes you can!

I know that.

Big deal. It's not what I want a free cam for.

What's so wrong with a free cam like exists in games like Silent Hunter, Dangerous Waters, Falcon, DCS-A10C etc.?

For me it is a plus. Easy to make videos with using a tool like FRAPS. If I want to watch a platoon of M1A1's in line blast away at a charging company of T-72's from on high where I can see the whole thing all at once then what's the big deal?

Make it an option that can be turned on and off. Don't want to use it turn it off. Don't want it used in MP then the host can turn it off.

I'm about 99% sure the capability already exists in SB PRO PE - it just hasn't been enabled. And if it isn't there adding the code from the PRO version would be an easy evolution assuming it existed as a module in the PRO vs source code (probably written in C++).

It's all about choice.

Besides it'd be a cool feature for the players who are all about eye candy. :biggrin: