Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

What? .... when where how ? :o

More RTFM I'm afraid.

Bridges have a weight class just like in real life (there are guides you can download showing you which type of bridge supports what weight).

Drive a MBT over a rickety wooden bridge and the bridge collapses (usually also resulting in the need to recover the vehicle - since it fell through the bridge).

Suitably sized artillery concentrations will also destroy bridge up to a certain weight class.

Placed IEDs / VBIEDs can also destroy bridges.

Now go and read the book and/or look at the wiki. :)

More RTFM I'm afraid.

Bridges have a weight class just like in real life (there are guides you can download showing you which type of bridge supports what weight).

Drive a MBT over a rickety wooden bridge and the bridge collapses (usually also resulting in the need to recover the vehicle - since it fell through the bridge).

Suitably sized artillery concentrations will also destroy bridge up to a certain weight class.

Placed IEDs / VBIEDs can also destroy bridges.

Now go and read the book and/or look at the wiki. :)

I never came across the IEDs in any scenarios I played with.

You are also talking to a guy that took him 3 years to memorize the instruction to minute rice !!! :c:

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be possible to introduce the "national camouflage" folder structure (eg. "cs", "ru", "us"...) into the "TIS" folder, as it is in "textures\Woodland", for the "textures\TIS" folder?

The reason is that there is wide variety of paintjobs and masking nets which change the TIS representation of a tank, but are nation-specific.

For example, the Czech U-2500 masking color is officially said to reduce thermal signature (as in T-72M4), but when I "apply" it to T-72M1's "woodland\cs" folder, I cannot modify the "TIS" texture, for it would reduce the TIS signature of all the T-72M1s out there, including vanilla ones.

Or the Baraccuda net: it claims to reduce 75% of thermal emissions and some CV90s might have it (swedish, for example), while CV90s of other nations might not. But given the "TIS" folder option, it's either Barracuda for all or none.

Or now, when editing the T-72M4CZ to resemble the T-72B3 by removing the CITV and doing other visual mods, there is only one TIS texture for the model, so it means turning all the T-72M4s into B3s, or doing nothing at all and being inconsistent with the "eyeball" and "TIS" textures.

Or am I wrong and the "national camouflage subfolders" could be created and used in the "textures\TIS" folder already?

Playing tgif last night I found it hard to find who's who on the map.

It would of been nice to have name tags when you click on the group units of a map to see who has control of them or it.

Also each tank should be able to have limited towing capabilities seeming they all carry towing cables.

Plotting routes for group there should be a resupply configuration... resupplying a group is problematic as you have to manually shuffle the tanks around.

And again , most of the upgrade should be in the AI. Like not getting stuck between two trees or running into buildings or not all crossing a bridge.

Personally I want a beer fridge in my tank.

Oh and more realistic enemy AI , like how they perfectly see you hiding when you can't see them..... grrrrr

Incase someone says read the manual ... again... I like a hull down option when placing tanks on a map .. last night my tanks were placed in a reverse slope ... it was lonely back there :(

In multi-player if you access the menu at the top under participants, one can see who had what unit, and on what side, hope this helps.

Most if not all the CO will ask player to write their name-unit on side of map, this is very helpful in my option.

Gah I knew someone would point out something .... But I was seeing in my mind as you hover the mouse over the unit how easier it would be to spot who is where.... and on that same note spotting enemy tank/ units it would be nice to be able to place icons on the map instead of typing it.

Playing tgif last night I found it hard to find who's who on the map.

It would of been nice to have name tags when you click on the group units of a map to see who has control of them or it.

Well, it doesn't really matter much who's controlling a particular unit. If you say, for example: "Four-one-alpha, there's an enemy tank five hundred meters north of your position.", then whoever is controlling that unit should know you're talking to them.

Plotting routes for group there should be a resupply configuration... resupplying a group is problematic as you have to manually shuffle the tanks around.

If you give a platoon the "stay" command, you can set their formation to "coil" with "close" spacing. This will cause them to form a tight circle. You can then park the supply truck in the middle (or park the vehicles around the supply truck, if you don't have control of it) and it should be able to resupply the entire platoon without moving anything. (Page 101 in the manual. ;))

Well, it doesn't really matter much who's controlling a particular unit. If you say, for example: "Four-one-alpha, there's an enemy tank five hundred meters north of your position.", then whoever is controlling that unit should know you're talking to them.

If you give a platoon the "stay" command, you can set their formation to "coil" with "close" spacing. This will cause them to form a tight circle. You can then park the supply truck in the middle (or park the vehicles around the supply truck, if you don't have control of it) and it should be able to resupply the entire platoon without moving anything. (Page 101 in the manual. ;))

yes thanks De Fault ....for rubbing it in :P:D

I did a windows reinstall a short while ago and notice i didn't have adobe reader.... that is my excuse this time :c::oops:

Well that's because in RL you have to shuffle the tanks around.

There is no "resupply fairy" (unless you mean the SSM). Controlling the logistic forces, if you have some, can be very rewarding as you face a different challenge to just blowing stuff up.

Edited by Gibsonm
removed duplicate word.

Guys be nice not everybody is their country's main access point for Steelbeast both professionally and for fun or have been playing since before WWII, he has just joined our multiplayer community and as in every other games he can't have memorized the entire rule book and know every little detail in the book by heart, let him have some of those questions that everybody have when they first join a new gaming community and then in 3 months time if he still is asking blond questions then gang up on him.

We are to few to scare new people away by not answering things what we think is so obvious.

Best regards and see you out there :clin:

Guys be nice not everybody is their country's main access point for Steelbeast both professionally and for fun or have been playing since before WWII, he has just joined our multiplayer community and as in every other games he can't have memorized the entire rule book and know every little detail in the book by heart, let him have some of those questions that everybody have when they first join a new gaming community and then in 3 months time if he still is asking blond questions then gang up on him.

We are to few to scare new people away by not answering things what we think is so obvious.

They weren't offensive in any way and they are right, I should read the manual more. No worries I am not getting any real bullets coming my way.... and like i said elsewhere on this forum .... we shall settle things on the battle field :D

Incase someone says read the manual ... again... I like a hull down option when placing tanks on a map .. last night my tanks were placed in a reverse slope ... it was lonely back there :(

Hey Zaphod, i hope you enjoyed the TGIF and will join us again, it would be nice to not be the only newb on the battlefield ;)

In case you havent checked it out, the WIKI is a good read, and theres some info on how Routes and Tactics work regarding getting stuff into hull/turret down positions, and how said stuff will (or should) behave. Put a read on this here; http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Moving_Units_On_Routes

enjoy

Hey Zaphod, i hope you enjoyed the TGIF and will join us again, it would be nice to not be the only newb on the battlefield ;)

In case you havent checked it out, the WIKI is a good read, and theres some info on how Routes and Tactics work regarding getting stuff into hull/turret down positions, and how said stuff will (or should) behave. Put a read on this here; http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Moving_Units_On_Routes

enjoy

Reading is a must yes and the general stuff I know but I need to do as I read or else it seems to siv through my non grasping neurons :c:

There is a lot to grasp.

I should be there next Friday unless un announced life threatening event :cool3:

Yesterday's game whetted my appetite more :cvcsalut:

• Members
I like a hull down option when placing tanks on a map .. last night my tanks were placed in a reverse slope ... it was lonely back there :(

Try to adjust the LOS bubble of your battle position marker. All the computer-controlled tanks will try to adjust their position to achieve a line of sight to the bubble location in front of the position marker (between the adjustable attention focus limits, where 25% of all observation time is spent by computer-controlled crews).

So, if your battle position is in a valley but the LOS bubble is placed behind the surrounding ridge, the tanks may try to drive up that ridge to get a bearing on the spot indicated by the LOS bubble.

Instead, if you want them to stay put, move the LOS bubble closer to your position until it reaches the area where the ridge slopes into the valley. That way the tanks should realize immediately "hey, I got line of sight already, let's stay where I am." (it's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it).

Or, 'Hey, it's really boring looking at the side of this hill - I'm going to drive up and over the ridge to see what's on the other side anway. But I'm going to wait until my commander is occupied elsewhere. Always makes me laugh when he comes back and finds me gone'. :)

Or, 'Hey, it's really boring looking at the side of this hill - I'm going to drive up and over the ridge to see what's on the other side anway. But I'm going to wait until my commander is occupied elsewhere. Always makes me laugh when he comes back and finds me gone'. :)
lol :D

This should be a sticky. We shouldn't "eat our young" around here.

By the way

Could we turn down some of damage that happen when things bump into each other

Speed 1 , nobody will ever be hurt you will just be stopped

Speed 2 , light damage to tracks , Headaches (Not engine dead, or tracks off for 30 min)

speed 3 , Damage is fine as is

So basically the damage model is fine except at low speed a m113 that hits a Leopard 2 issent going to lose its engine its armored for the same reason , a few scratches a bent bumper and twisted light maybe but not the damage we see right now when i was in the army and was the plt co for a M109 BTY one of my M109s ran into a tree and the tree got really hurt but none of the guys inside got any damage except a bruise or 2 and none of them had a seat belt on and 2 of the gunners where in the left hatch and they where driving with 20-30 Km/h.

• Members

The damage was set because it's actually relatively realistic as soon as vehicles of the same mass are involved. Personally, I have crushed two (relatively) small trees at just 5km while stepping on the brake (there was ice on the road ... and yeah, it was the driver's license practical test - and yeah, I got the license anyway ;) ).

We had severe injuries in our battalion when two crews collided in a dust cloud; one rammed a stopped other vehicle at no more than 25...30 kilometers per hour. Which is "speed level 2" in SB Pro.

The damage was set because it's actually relatively realistic as soon as vehicles of the same mass are involved. Personally, I have crushed two (relatively) small trees at just 5km while stepping on the brake (there was ice on the road ... and yeah, it was the driver's license practical test - and yeah, I got the license anyway ;) ).

We had severe injuries in our battalion when two crews collided in a dust cloud; one rammed a stopped other vehicle at no more than 25...30 kilometers per hour. Which is "speed level 2" in SB Pro.

If you look at Dukes last movie he hit my leo 2 at the end of his break because he was to close and got a damaged engine and some of the tree incidents at speed 1 are just lame. Its mostly the speed 1 things that really bugs me, trees and collisions at speed one can cause accidents but not at the level they do in SB right now.

Hitting a small tree at Slow Speed (Speed 1) often results in the driver sustaining injuries, particularly in an IFV. I know the inside of a military vehicle is full of sharp edges and hard surfaces but this particular piece of modelling does seem over the top. Even small, thin trees seem to act as if they were solid steel or concrete poles whereas in RL they would undoubtedly bend and provide a degree of 'give'. And the driver would see the tree coming and brace himself for the impact.

But I have a feeling this has all been discussed before....