Jump to content

Steel Beasts: Content Wish List


Azure Lion
 Share

Recommended Posts

Destroyed Vehicles.

 

The ability to set a damage animation in the mission editor

MAybe a slider to set the "age" of the destroyed vehicle. (With a randomising element)

 

From Freshly Killed / Hatch fire

to

Roman Candle / Turret Popped 

to

Smoking / Smouldering

and then 

"Burnt out." (Which is the default mode ATM)

 

Not nesscarily adding burnt out textures to 200+ models

But adding a dynamic element to a scene of battle.

 

RE Bailing crews, as a stopgap, I'd have them spawn at the rear of the vehicle.

Set appearance as the Vehicle Crew and with rifle only ammo.

(Tricky bit is if the crew suffered casualties while in the vehicle.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

RE Bailing crews, as a stopgap, I'd have them spawn at the rear of the vehicle.

Set appearance as the Vehicle Crew and with rifle only ammo.

(Tricky bit is if the crew suffered casualties while in the vehicle.)

 

Except of course they don't have rifles. Pistols and carbines only and if they have bailed out as opposed to dismounted with some time, then probably only pistols, because you are wearing them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had two M3A1 smgs with two pouches for extra magazines and a box for 12 hand grenades.  There was a shoulder stock and bi-pod  kit for the M240 that would have made it useful if we had to dismount and had the time to collect it and ammo for it.  If the tank was on fire I doubt anyone would be concerned about grabbing anything while trying to get out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

 

Except of course they don't have rifles. Pistols and carbines only and if they have bailed out as opposed to dismounted with some time, then probably only pistols, because you are wearing them.

 

Yeah, but at the moment "Full Size Rifle" is the nearest thing to a "Pistol" in SB

Untill 9mm Parabellum is implemented in SB, think 5.45x39mm is the closest you'll get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

 

Yeah, but at the moment "Full Size Rifle" is the nearest thing to a "Pistol" in SB

Untill 9mm Parabellum is implemented in SB, think 5.45x39mm is the closest you'll get.

 

In that case they need to be limited to say one or two mags (say max of 60 rounds) not the usual 210 (seven mags) or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not add the Challenger 1 ? The game has many stuff based on the 80/90s. From my side british stuff needs to be improved. I read on other topics that Esim made a trip in UK and made photos of Challenger 2 internal but MoD hided what needed to be hide and made all shots useless. So, why not add the Challenger 1 where it is maybe more easy to get informations, internal photos to bring us a good british Tank, like us M1 or german Leo2.

Made the internal of Warrior and Scimitar should be good too.

Tactical symbols fitted for each tanks. For example British tanks, see In a platoon (troop) One tank with 1-0 callsign, an other with 1-1 and an other with 1-2. Tactical number, tactical symbols (us V platoon symbol and British squadron symbol or white circle on Gun tube to show the troop number) can be great, so you can easily recognize what tank is part of.

Tsahal tank should be great too, like Merkava 1 and 2. I want a merkava 3 too but guess too more modern to be made cause to israel tank policy.

Some french stuff should be great too, like AMX10P, AMX10RC, ERC-90, AMX-30, more easy to made than a Leclerc I guess.

One good debate I guess is, should steel beast make WW2 stuff. It would be nice to use some American and British tanks against german beast tank, with more a hard sim point of view than a sim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll leave the "Steel Beasts Second World War" version alone - its been commented on numerous times and isn't going to happen.

 

As for the Tac Signs, some of the models now support this with changes in names and other details but I think the "11A" etc. is still a constant across the particular vehicle model.

 

So while a particular ASLAV may have a name of "Ajax" and another "Bison", the symbol "11A" will be common to both. 

 

I'm not sure how much work / ifi its even possible, to have "Ajax" on 11A and "Bison" on say 21B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, kgb613 said:

Why not add the Challenger 1 ? The game has many stuff based on the 80/90s. From my side british stuff needs to be improved. I read on other topics that Esim made a trip in UK and made photos of Challenger 2 internal but MoD hided what needed to be hide and made all shots useless. So, why not add the Challenger 1 where it is maybe more easy to get informations, internal photos to bring us a good british Tank, like us M1 or german Leo2.

Made the internal of Warrior and Scimitar should be good too.

 

I'm not here to tell you to be glad for what's there, this is a wishlist thread after all (and it's Christmas time and who knows, dear Santa might be reding this thread after all).

That being said, like in every other case where we'd add an AFV purely on our own volition, it takes more than just willpower - also access to a vehicle and its documentation, and the spare time to send a documentation team, 3D artists, and at least one programmer to work on such a side quest to make a rather short list of people happy.

If that sounds negative to you, I'd like to remind you that those conditions haven't stopped us from doing so in the past. But it is important to remember that the Personal Edition is being sold to cover basically the marginal costs of its own production. This is not a high profit business. So, a realistic perspective means to keep expectations low. It doesn't help that the private Challenger 1 owners that we know are bordering on the paranoid and claim that the vehicle is still classified  (because Jordan bought rusty old hulks and changed about everything with them), and that certain museums ... ah, well, I better not continue writing what I was about to write. Maybe one day they will change their attitude, and/or management, and I don't want to poison the atmosphere for future talks. Let's just say that some are rife with ignorance and financial greed (or desperation).

 

 

 

Quote

Tactical symbols fitted for each tanks. For example British tanks, see In a platoon (troop) One tank with 1-0 callsign, an other with 1-1 and an other with 1-2. Tactical number, tactical symbols (us V platoon symbol and British squadron symbol or white circle on Gun tube to show the troop number) can be great, so you can easily recognize what tank is part of.

 

Yeah, that would be nice. Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit of a nightmare to implement for reasons too esoteric to discuss them in public.

One day, though ... one day.

 

 

Quote

 

Tsahal tank should be great too, like Merkava 1 and 2. I want a merkava 3 too but guess too more modern to be made cause to israel tank policy.

Some french stuff should be great too, like AMX10P, AMX10RC, ERC-90, AMX-30, more easy to made than a Leclerc I guess.

 

 

The Israelis are still obfuscating the Merkava 1, let alone 2 and 3. To use an Italian code word: Forghetti.

 

Yeah, French stuff. More realistic than a lot of other stuff, but again, it boils down to time and opportunity, and if there was a comparative to "unprofitable business" I'd call it "unprofitabler".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

 

I'm not here to tell you to be glad for what's there, this is a wishlist thread after all (and it's Christmas time and who knows, dear Santa might be reding this thread after all).

That being said, like in every other case where we'd add an AFV purely on our own volition, it takes more than just willpower - also access to a vehicle and its documentation, and the spare time to send a documentation team, 3D artists, and at least one programmer to work on such a side quest to make a rather short list of people happy.

If that sounds negative to you, I'd like to remind you that those conditions haven't stopped us from doing so in the past. But it is important to remember that the Personal Edition is being sold to cover basically the marginal costs of its own production. This is not a high profit business. So, a realistic perspective means to keep expectations low. It doesn't help that the private Challenger 1 owners that we know are bordering on the paranoid and claim that the vehicle is still classified  (because Jordan bought rusty old hulks and changed about everything with them), and that certain museums ... ah, well, I better not continue writing what I was about to write. Maybe one day they will change their attitude, and/or management, and I don't want to poison the atmosphere for future talks. Let's just say that some are rife with ignorance and financial greed (or desperation).

 

 

 

 

Yeah, that would be nice. Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit of a nightmare to implement for reasons too esoteric to discuss them in public.

One day, though ... one day.

 

 

 

The Israelis are still obfuscating the Merkava 1, let alone 2 and 3. To use an Italian code word: Forghetti.

 

Yeah, French stuff. More realistic than a lot of other stuff, but again, it boils down to time and opportunity, and if there was a comparative to "unprofitable business" I'd call it "unprofitabler".

 

I can certainly sympathize with the difficulty of getting access to a Challenger 1. I tried at one of the Beltring shows to gain access to the privately owned one, and was pretty much slapped down. As I understand from a friend, it wasnt much of a loss. It was a prototype that they managed to cadge a turret for and slapped it on top, and it was largely empty inside. Most of the others in the UK (and there isnt that many left now) are in military collections. And the MOD do have some strange regulations on security. For example, you can buy a Challenger 1 manual on ebay no problem at all. But if you reproduce it, supposedly it falls foul of some obscure security agreement we have with Jordan, and is technically a felony. Go figure.

 

Chieftain is a better option. Ive lost count of how many of those seem to be in the hands of UK farmers. Even better, the fire control system on it is functionally identical for Challenger 1. I dont think a Chieftain Mk11 would be much shy of a Challenger 1 in an engagement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The Israelis are still obfuscating the Merkava 1, let alone 2 and 3. To use an Italian code word: Forghetti.

 

To be blunt for a second:

MAKE SOMETHING UP!

 

I would, by a margin of INFINITY PERCENT, rather have you say "This is our best guess at the inner workings of the Merkava Mk2/Mk3 because it isn't public info yet" or "When humans play the Merkava Mk2/Mk3 they will use the M1/Leo1/M60 fire control" and have it as a partially playable vehicle than to NEVER see it...

 

At the end of the day, while I prefer to have everything accurate and perfect, if you come out and say "Look, it's like this because reasons and here they are" I think I can live with it if it means we have a "new" playable vehicle for scenarios...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi 

 

Could we maybe make the centurion configurable so that we can have others then the shot cal playable fx. as that one is seriously deficient in the fire control department which most of the centurions modernised where not

 

South Africa

Olifant Mk1A like Shot cal Modernised 

 

Israeli 

Shot cal Modernised , Subvariants indicate upgrades received by Sho't Kal tanks during their operational life, including a new turret rotating mechanism, a new gun stabiliser, a new fire-control system and preparations for the installation of the Blazer ERA.

 

Swedish 

Strv.81 Mark III type

Strv.101 Mark 10 type

Strv.102 Mark 10 type + LRF

Strv.104 105 mm L7, 2x 7.62 mm m/39 LMG, 2 Lyran 71 mm light grenade launchers + upgraded running system and ERA armour + Nightvision

 

Danish

Centurion MK III 20 Pounder and 12,7 mm HMG on TCs hatch + coax 7.62 cal. Browning

Centurion Mk V 20 Pounder and 12,7 mm HMG on TCs hatch + coax 7.62 cal. Browning

Centurion Mk V, 2 105 gun and 12,7 mm HMG on TCs hatch + coax German MG 62

Centurion Mk V, 2 DK Fires like a Leopard 1A3 Thermic sight and laser RF and FCS + 105 gun and 12,7 mm HMG on TCs hatch + coax German MG 62

 

UK

plus off course the British variants 

 

That basically means  2 types of running gear:

Meteor engine or Continental 29 litre turbo-charged air-cooled V12 diesel engine

 

2 different types of Gun:

20 pounder or 105mm

 

MGs

7,62 mm coax

7,62 mm coax or 12,7 mm TCs hatch

 

3 types of FCS

Basic sights  or LRF or Thermic sights / LRF + FCS

 

3 types of armor:

Old armor or Later armor or later with ERA

 

MD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

To be blunt for a second:

MAKE SOMETHING UP!

 

Okay, so then let me ask you just as bluntly, "why", when there's still so many other vehicles out there where we DON'T have to make shit up.

IF we have the time to pursue the addition of a vehicle for noone but the PE crowd, chances are that we are pressed for time. In that case it makes sense to concentrate on projects that can be hammered out in a relatively short time. That doesn't mean that we always pick the "vehicle of least effort", as the M60 and the BMP-2 demonstrate, because they were great learning projects for both a new artist and a new programmer. But at the end of the day what you get is the result of the constraints under which we have to work, and the opportunities that we recognize when visiting museums, private, and semi-public army collections. This results in a more eklectic representation of armored vehicles in SB rather than a more systematical approach might promise to deliver but we haven't found that billionaire yet who's willing to subsidize our work for the greater good of mankind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

 

To be blunt for a second:

MAKE SOMETHING UP!

 

I would, by a margin of INFINITY PERCENT, rather have you say "This is our best guess at the inner workings of the Merkava Mk2/Mk3 because it isn't public info yet" or "When humans play the Merkava Mk2/Mk3 they will use the M1/Leo1/M60 fire control" and have it as a partially playable vehicle than to NEVER see it...

 

At the end of the day, while I prefer to have everything accurate and perfect, if you come out and say "Look, it's like this because reasons and here they are" I think I can live with it if it means we have a "new" playable vehicle for scenarios...

 

This.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...