Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

7 hours ago, delta6 said:

Assigning a sector/cone of fire and gunner/commander fire within that sector...

If you are referring to a task for a vehicle or larger grouping, well you can do this with the current set up.

From the Wiki ( http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Planning_Phase ):

740px-Route_and_BP.jpg.2f8f1d407c71065af1b533426fce0dec.jpg

The shaded arc = the sector.

The "open circle" denotes where the vehicle is focusing its fire.

You can even tell the unit what you want it to do ("Hold", "Defend", "Guard", Suppress", ...) in that position.

You can allocate these "sectors" to Troops / Platoons or if you wish you can split the Troop / Platoon into 2 x Sections each with a sector, or you can break the Troop / Platoon up into its individual vehicles and allocate each its own sector.

If you want say the Gunner to scan 10 to 2 while the Commander scans 2 to 5 (to use say a "Hunter / Killer system" [popular in the merchandising]), then you can't explicitly order that now but you get an approximation of that because the unit will still scan outside the arc (although most of it's effort / time will be spent scanning inside the arc).

Edited by Gibsonm

I have done that..But when the tc decides that enemy infantry on the other side of your perimeter is more important than enemy armor attacking from his front something needs to be done...Thankfully this is just a sim..In real life a lot of damn fine tankers would be dead because of the tc's behavior...

• Members
6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

If you are referring to a task for a vehicle or larger grouping, well you can do this with the current set up.

From the Wiki ( http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Planning_Phase ):

740px-Route_and_BP.jpg.2f8f1d407c71065af1b533426fce0dec.jpg

The shaded arc = the sector.

The "open circle" denotes where the vehicle is focusing its fire.

If that's what the Wiki says, it's wrong.

The cone boundaries denote where the unit will spend 25% of its observation time. If it's a 90° cone the unit will observe in all directions. If you make it a "narrow beam" the unit is pretty much guaranteed to spot emerging threats in that sector at the earliest possible moment, at the expense of slightly diminished attention everywhere else.

The circle, we call it the LOS bubble, indicates the reference location for assuming hull-down position in the absence of enemy. This allows better control over dead space in front of the chosen position, and whether units will expose themselves on mountain slopes if attempting to observe the valley, or rather concentrate on the opposite ridge line.

42 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

If that's what the Wiki says, it's wrong.

The picture (only) is from the Wiki, not the text. :)

The error re the "LOS bubble" is mine alone.

I suspect that is doesn't really effect the OP as he is really after a way to prioritise engagements (focusing on vehicles over Infantry) which has been covered in a different thread:

Edited by Gibsonm

American military has a saying...We own the night...Why is it in this sim the crunchies and m113's won't shoot at night???I just setup a small scenario in which the time era is the 1960's so no nvd,thermals,etc..The M-60 tanks do have a system that works at night and they shoot the place up but the pc's and crunchies just absorb arty and mortar fire...

• Members

I've said it before, I'll repeat it:

Steel Beasts Pro does not yet officially support night combat. There are still elements missing, and only if they all come together we can speak of a true night combat capability. It its current form SB Pro is designed to cover the period from first light to last light.

a 3d armor viewer/ protection analysis feature  ( with xray if possible) with a ballistic simulation to figure at which distances we can penetrate X tank with Y ammo in Z portion of a tank profile  based on distance adjustment.

think what you like about war thunder natures as mainstream arcade game, but this feature is neat.

Edited by Kev2go

Probably not doctrinally accurate, and may differ from vehicle to vehicle and army to army, but when playing the gunner, I'd like to have an option to have the commander pop smoke and/or order reverse when an incoming ATGW is detected and audibly call out the incoming anti tank missile and its rough bearing - assuming they see it of course.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 2:36 AM, delta6 said:

Assigning a sector/cone of fire and gunner/commander fire within that sector...

I support this request. The other day I had my first online experience and I was given just a tank to crew. The rest of the plt was commanded by gibsonm. Well, I tried to integrate in the plt and command the tank just from the cdr position, and the one thing that I missed is how to order the gunner to scan the sector that I thought corresponded to my tank according to the formation/position within the plt.

Actually, the order is already there, as you can order the gunner to scan a specific sector, but just for several seconds. It´d be nice to have a variation of that command for giving a permanent sector.

Well you can orientate the Turret relative to the Hull with:

Shift up arrow = 12 O'clock

Shift right arrow = 3 O'clock

Shift down arrow = 6 O'clock

Shift left arrow = 9 O'clock

5c3c468635872_SBKeyboard.thumb.png.808b12c3c8707169a1f1436500aa99bb.png

The complete PDF (without the circle) is part of the installation and can be found wherever you installed the software.

On my machine that's: C:\Games\SB Pro PE 4.023\docs\PDF for print

Edited by Gibsonm

5 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I don't think it's possible the orient the turret to the rear (at all), so Shift+ArrowDn will probably not work.

Shift+ArrowLft/Rt will work in two steps - half-right (/left), and if pressed another time then nine (or three) o'clock.

Ah I thought I'd been able to use it to orientate the gun over the deck, but perhaps not.

• Members

I wouldn't rule it out that this was changed over the course of the years. There were occasions when it bothered me, though not very often. Originally we did not implement it when we had but the Leo 2 and the M1 as playable vehicles simply because the back deck clearance makes engagements to the rear impossible in most cases. This does, of course, not apply to every vehicle - which would be reason enough to give up on this rather specific exemption. Right now I couldn't say which it is. But if you try it out and it doesn't work, it's not "you" and it's not really a bug but rather something that was never implemented to begin with, originally for good reason.

I´m probably wrong, because I´m fairly new to this game, but the combination shift+arrow is the one that I was referring to, and it orders the gunner to scan that sector for just some seconds (10 or so). After that it returns to its normal front sector. The idea´d be to keep this as it is, as is very useful, but to add other command to order gunner, like ctrl+arrows, to scan permanently a certain sector. In that way you could tailor the surveillance sector for every vehicle within a formation or keep the proper one when the vehicles are all manned.

In the original Steel Beasts, I seem to recall that certain sounds, most notably the sound of the loader doing his work, were audible from outside the vehicle.

I'd like an "Internal Sounds in External Views" slider to allow us the option to hear a little bit of what's going on inside our tank, particularly when we're in the overhead cover hatch positions, and perhaps to make those sounds fade away so that openining the hatch completely or moving higher up in the hatch makes them more quiet.

And finally...Even though I've asked for this before, and the current system is though to be far far superior, I really do want to see an option to have dismounted infantry behave in a manner similar to the old system.  Sometimes I just want to throw together a quick and dirty scenario and it would be nice to be able to tell the troops to "GET OUT!" and have them automatically fan out and move with their PC's.

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Originally we did not implement it when we had but the Leo 2 and the M1 as playable vehicles simply because the back deck clearance makes engagements to the rear impossible in most cases.

Yup...I can recall one very panicked play through of the scenario "A Village Called Netreba" in the old SB where I was trying to use the high arc of HEAT rounds to get around the rear deck clearance and lob them at the charging Reds.  Not sure it worked very well!

• Members
1 hour ago, Maj.Hans said:

I really do want to see an option to have dismounted infantry behave in a manner similar to the old system.  Sometimes I just want to throw together a quick and dirty scenario and it would be nice to be able to tell the troops to "GET OUT!" and have them automatically fan out and move with their PC's.

Yeah... we had a nice but primitive automatic behavior. Then came the refinements. After the refinements, the exceptions to the rules. Then the xceptions to the exceptions, and the special cases. At some point the constant tinkering broke it to the point where nobody could read the code that was originally written, so we have to start all over. But people wanted to have things scriptable. So that's then what we concentrated on.

In the meantime we have worked on getting more (semi) autonomous behavior going, mostly to address idiotic behavior. When done we can start expanding this and adding more and more cases of automatic responses and routines. But this time we'll make sure not to end in a similar situation as before, which takes time.