Jump to content
Azure Lion

Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Recommended Posts

In the original Steel Beasts, I seem to recall that certain sounds, most notably the sound of the loader doing his work, were audible from outside the vehicle.

I'd like an "Internal Sounds in External Views" slider to allow us the option to hear a little bit of what's going on inside our tank, particularly when we're in the overhead cover hatch positions, and perhaps to make those sounds fade away so that openining the hatch completely or moving higher up in the hatch makes them more quiet.

 

 

And finally...Even though I've asked for this before, and the current system is though to be far far superior, I really do want to see an option to have dismounted infantry behave in a manner similar to the old system.  Sometimes I just want to throw together a quick and dirty scenario and it would be nice to be able to tell the troops to "GET OUT!" and have them automatically fan out and move with their PC's.

 

 

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Originally we did not implement it when we had but the Leo 2 and the M1 as playable vehicles simply because the back deck clearance makes engagements to the rear impossible in most cases.

Yup...I can recall one very panicked play through of the scenario "A Village Called Netreba" in the old SB where I was trying to use the high arc of HEAT rounds to get around the rear deck clearance and lob them at the charging Reds.  Not sure it worked very well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maj.Hans said:

I really do want to see an option to have dismounted infantry behave in a manner similar to the old system.  Sometimes I just want to throw together a quick and dirty scenario and it would be nice to be able to tell the troops to "GET OUT!" and have them automatically fan out and move with their PC's.

Yeah... we had a nice but primitive automatic behavior. Then came the refinements. After the refinements, the exceptions to the rules. Then the xceptions to the exceptions, and the special cases. At some point the constant tinkering broke it to the point where nobody could read the code that was originally written, so we have to start all over. But people wanted to have things scriptable. So that's then what we concentrated on.

In the meantime we have worked on getting more (semi) autonomous behavior going, mostly to address idiotic behavior. When done we can start expanding this and adding more and more cases of automatic responses and routines. But this time we'll make sure not to end in a similar situation as before, which takes time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah... we had a nice but primitive automatic behavior. Then came the refinements. After the refinements, the exceptions to the rules. Then the xceptions to the exceptions, and the special cases. At some point the constant tinkering broke it to the point where nobody could read the code that was originally written, so we have to start all over. But people wanted to have things scriptable. So that's then what we concentrated on.

In the meantime we have worked on getting more (semi) autonomous behavior going, mostly to address idiotic behavior. When done we can start expanding this and adding more and more cases of automatic responses and routines. But this time we'll make sure not to end in a similar situation as before, which takes time.

 

Very understandable, especially from a code-mess point of view.

 

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  In terms of scenario building, the old system wasn't perfect, but at least I could easily organize a very simple "line of troops marches ahead of line of PC's" type attack that made a convincing representation of a whole mess of angry soviets coming after you.

 

This is something that I can and have scripted around, so it's less of a problem, although sometimes it requires more effort to ensure that I don't have all troops simply converge in the middle of the line or wedge of PC's and all end up clustered in one giant ball.

 

I think it's actually during missions that I miss having something simple and primitive at my disposal, like an easy way to go "Oh crap, we've blundered into enemy troops, everybody get out and stay 100 meters ahead of their PC!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marder IFV *with* a working, vehicle mounted, MILAN-2 launcher:

1. Even IF it has to be a separate vehicle.

2. Even IF only the AI can use the missiles.

3. Even IF it has to be implemented incorrectly.

4. Even IF the whole separate vehicle is only AI.

 

In all seriousness this is really killing me that every time I make a scenario with Marders they have to be treated like glorified M113s and can't be relied upon to fight off a T-55...  I know there is a technical problem here and choices blah blah blah but C'mon, gimme some MISSILES!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

 

Like this you mean?

 

SS_19_49_11.thumb.png.2834f3aa0d4f6d5df22bbc8e6b3d631c.png

For Challenger 2. And machine gun M240 with telescope on this tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rad said:

For Challenger 2. And machine gun M240 with telescope on this tank.

 

I think the Loader's weapons (Along with the Commander's use of personal weapons like sidearm and/or carbine) would be in the category of "nice to have" for me, but I think this is sadly something that the ProPE team has kinda put on the back burner for now.  Even if these don't get modeled, perhaps in the future we'll have a key command similar to the ALT+B for infantry hatches to tell our loader to get up out of the hatch and shoot.

 

Having said that, I'll second this for "some point in the future".  I'd like (as a human TC) to be able to pull out an M4/M16/G3/AK5/whatever and engage sometimes.  Perhaps this kinda thing can come along with the ability for us to shoot our own weapon when commanding an infantry squad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to have Extra Wide Formations for those desert scenarios where one company attacks on line and covers ~5km wide of ground.

 

 

Edited by stormrider_sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like vehicles to have individual markings so you don't see enemy tank No. 243 over and over again which causes a bit of suspension of disbelief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

I'd like vehicles to have individual markings so you don't see enemy tank No. 243 over and over again which causes a bit of suspension of disbelief.

 

+1. A unit number randomiser is much needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

 

+1. A unit number randomiser is much needed.

What you really mean is several "unit number randomiser"s since almost every country has a different call sign numbering scheme.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

What you really mean is several "unit number randomiser"s since almost every country has a different call sign numbering scheme.

 

A not correct, but at least somewhat immersive way would be to have the callsign templates show up on the vehciles as decals. This will not be fitting for all nations...but a somewhat doable solution.

 

The chevron for company ID is also somwhing rather widely used nowadays... add a STANAG platoon/vehicle symbol on the turret back and you'll have a solution that be workable for the game.

Given, it would not be a correct  solution for all militaries training software.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

What you really mean is several "unit number randomiser"s since almost every country has a different call sign numbering scheme.

 

 

red t-shirt 1,2,6,8,3,5,9,0,etc..

blue t-shirt 4,2,1,7,8,0,6,4 etc...

 

so yes you got it right..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One day, I hope for a way to fire rifles and RPG manually...SB Infantry often makes me want to cry

 

 ...true sharpshooters

Distance to targets less then 70m, AI fires 25 shots---> misses ALL

 

I hate that

SS_21_48_24.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grenny said:

One day, I hope for a way to fire rifles and RPG manually...SB Infantry often makes me want to cry

 

 ...true sharpshooters

Distance to targets less then 70m, AI fires 25 shots---> misses ALL

 

I hate that

SS_21_48_24.jpg

I feel your pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, stormrider_sp said:

I would like to have Extra Wide Formations for those desert scenarios where one company attacks on line and covers ~5km wide of ground.

 

 

Hear hear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.03.2019 at 3:03 AM, Grenny said:

...true sharpshooters

Distance to targets less then 70m, AI fires 25 shots---> misses ALL

SS_21_48_24.jpg

They are NOT a snipers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rad said:

They are NOT a snipers.

This is a gross understatement ;-)

At this ranges, it would have to be possible to strip down the rifle and hit them with the rifle parts....with more accuracy then the shooting the AI was doing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed - at 70m we should have hit something, even with a pistol, let alone a modern assault rifle with a built in scope, zeroed and used by a group of trained Infantryman (remember this is a fireteam / squad, not a lone individual) esp. after 25 rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Agreed - at 70m we should have hit something, even with a pistol, let alone a modern assault rifle with a built in scope, zeroed and used by a group of trained Infantryman (remember this is a fireteam / squad, not a lone individual) esp. after 25 rounds.

 

but maybe these soldier were graduates of Storm-trooper academy xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Add more missions with easy scenarios for single player, this will be perfect for new players

Edited by geoweb35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, geoweb35 said:

Add more missions with easy scenarios for single player, this will be perfect for new players

 While youre waiting ;)

https://www.steelbeasts.com/files/

 

And if none of that stuff takes your fancy, you can make your own scenarios in the Mission Editor

Edited by Bond_Villian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...