Jump to content
Azure Lion

Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Recommended Posts

Well, one bug category is "enhancement". Disregarding well-founded arguments about semantics, the bug tracking database is our prime tool to not forget about things. And by telling you the number, you can be on the lookout in release notes whether "your thing" has been addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

when we go to mission editor we get this blank map, and then we go to File/Open and we see this pop up.

By the way; you can save a little time by Shift clicking 'Mission Editor' (or 'Map editor') and opening the scenario/map directly without loading the blank one first :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bond_Villian said:

By the way; you can save a little time by Shift clicking 'Mission Editor' (or 'Map editor') and opening the scenario/map directly without loading the blank one first :)

 

Wow. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Major duck said:

A zeuss functionality (Like in arma) where a guy with the role can move whole units by dragging them , can spawn new units ingame not in the scen designer , we mostly play with 1 or 2 opfor and its a pain to get units across river or through towns etc... and sometimes we run out of enemies or something goes wrong and you cant do anything about it. Its especially hard on the very long scen like 6 hours etc in advance too know everything that's going to happen and once you have started there is no stopping.

 

MD

What you want is SB Pro.

Note the absence of PE.

Sure Ssnake could fix you up with one.

For a few hundred thousand Euros.

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

I am not entirely sure if we have understood each other well enough here. It sounds as if you are getting close.

 

Ill try to explain a bit better with screenshot.

 

So, yes as you said there is indeed a briefing section on single and multiplayer, where you can see summary of mission, if scenario designer has written one.

 

however when we go to mission editor we get this blank map, and then we go to File/Open and we see this pop up.

 

SS_13_25_24.thumb.png.c1c59b6d648c14f01f920649058ef57f.png

 

And here, we choose mission to work on. We click on different missions to select one. However often enough, with name alone I usually cant recall what mission i am looking, from all the many many missions I have been working on in past.

 

So I though it would be really nice if on that pop up there would be possibility to read bit of briefing too, or editors notes or something to more easily find the exact mission that's name I don't happen to remember, but want to edit now. 

 

Currently I often end up guessing and opening many missions in the editor before I find the one that I wanted to work on.

 

8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Ah OK yes that is a different thing to what I thought you meant. :)

 

I tend to try and be as descriptive as possible in the file name, but a summary might be nice (more text importing though).

 

Might one suggest making this the first thing to fill out (should it ever be implemented) ?

Out wise you'll have a sea of 

"Excerpt of battalion CO orders. Etc. Etc. Etc."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

 

Might one suggest making this the first thing to fill out (should it ever be implemented) ?

Out wise you'll have a sea of 

"Excerpt of battalion CO orders. Etc. Etc. Etc."

I feel you on this, I have too many of that kind of missions with blank descriptions too

 

Though I am thinking that maybe it would be better to add description or to fill briefing  at very least before / when it is intended to be saved.  -  I rarely know what I end up before hand, but I do know what I have when I am going to save and give name for it. 

 

--

 

Oh here's another very small thing that popped up to my mind.

 

It would be neat if standard base for briefing would be blank and one could choose what languages base for briefing to implement at the point when it is to be worked on. 

 

It would be nice because I at least like to use Finnish or Russian language pack during my gaming, but I naturally write missions on English. And I do intent to make one mission on Swedish.

Edited by Lumituisku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Drop-list or pop up window - to mission editor, on parts with more than few choices. Like for example Events, waypoints or units for example, few to mention that often end up having many to choose from.

Often I end up having a lot of many things in missions I create and just going trough all them by clicking with mouse is annoying,

It would be much nice to just, click once, look where in the pop up  or drop list my desired option is and click it again.  Rather than to click over 10 times in so many options there is that one has chosen to take use of. 

 

 SS_04_27_56.jpg.49fc596b198f9359dcdeda66c8fed9f8.jpg

 

 

Oh, I got another idea, that might work

Option X   meaning for example that unit has reached

Any option where this choice is connected to.

 

For example, to condition that unit will move again after 2 minutes of waiting in waypoint. embark condition on attached routed could be  "Unit this has reached waypoint X  or blank  or whatever really..  instead of choosing specific one.  Why to choose if embark condition starts from waypoint already?

 

Alternatively would be that options simply start from attached way-point, instead of having to choose from any waypoint on the map. 

Edited by Lumituisku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I agree it might be refined but there are smarts already built in.

 

For example in the one you mentioned, only relevant waypoints are listed.

 

If you have say way points 1 - 50, but the route you are working on only has 1, 2, 12, 15, and 40 then clicking on the box with "2" in it will cycle through those 5 choices (1, 2, 12, 15, and 40) as opposed to the full 1 - 50 list.

 

Similarly if you click on the "unit", it will cycle through the units that use that route (not the entire ORBAT).

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I agree it might be refined but there are smarts already built in.

 

For example in the one you mentioned, only relevant waypoints are listed.

 

If you have say way points 1 - 50, but the route you are working on only has 1, 2, 12, 15, and 40 then clicking on the box with "2" in it will cycle through those 5 choices (1, 2, 12, 15, and 40) as opposed to the full 1 - 50 list.

 

Similarly if you clisk on the "unit", it will cycle through the units that use that route (not the entire ORBAT).

 

Yes. 

 

Uh, for some reason. I cannot seem to get that happen now when I am trying to. I don't get it. I have managed to get that happen in past. I have missions that i have made all my own where it is as you just told me.  But now when I am trying to do that on mission editor to test that..  I don't seem able to do so or I  am making some stupid mistake.  Weird.  uh oh. I found out why its not so on my newest missions.

 

It doesn't work if all or many way points routes have smallest bridges to each other.  Like if unit from main route has ability to jump to follow other main route if conditions allow it.  On that case, that unit has all way points from both routes. even when routes would be one direction only without retreat back command.  And it gets even more messy if that second main route has smallest bridge to any third route... easily increasing number of units and waypoints one has to go trough exponentially.

 

daaarn...   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UI cycles through the elements of the unit/waypoint chain, as far as they are connected by routes. It does not consider the travel direction of routes, however (because the chosen tactic might make a unit revert its course and go "back" (even if "back" is a waypoint where it never was before; I digress). So if you have unit 1/A connected by routes to waypoints 1,2,3 and 1/B connected to 4,5,6 then you could cycle only through 1,2,3 or 4,5,6 respectively. But then you create an alternate route from waypoint 1 to waypoint 6. At this point both units are connected to a single route tree, so you also get waypoints 4 and 5 in the cycle for 1/A because at waypoint 6 some twisted logic might it make "return" to waypoint 5 (and from there to 4).

 

So, if your entire tark force groes through an entry point on a road march and then splits off after the exit node of the road route, everybody is connected with everything. That's the downside of route recycling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The UI cycles through the elements of the unit/waypoint chain, as far as they are connected by routes. It does not consider the travel direction of routes, however (because the chosen tactic might make a unit revert its course and go "back" (even if "back" is a waypoint where it never was before; I digress). So if you have unit 1/A connected by routes to waypoints 1,2,3 and 1/B connected to 4,5,6 then you could cycle only through 1,2,3 or 4,5,6 respectively. But then you create an alternate route from waypoint 1 to waypoint 6. At this point both units are connected to a single route tree, so you also get waypoints 4 and 5 in the cycle for 1/A because at waypoint 6 some twisted logic might it make "return" to waypoint 5 (and from there to 4).

 

So, if your entire tark force groes through an entry point on a road march and then splits off after the exit node of the road route, everybody is connected with everything. That's the downside of route recycling.

For me a big help would be, to have an option to just type in a unit name.

Especially when wanting to script routes for dismounting infantry, you have to click trough dozends...in extreme cases hundreds, of unit names to get to the squad you want to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grenny said:

For me a big help would be, to have an option to just type in a unit name.

Especially when wanting to script routes for dismounting infantry, you have to click trough dozends...in extreme cases hundreds, of unit names to get to the squad you want to work with.

Or drop down / Pop up menu to choose from.  :3    Though writing unit name would be neat option too! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes... the GUI redesign is an eSim Games Officially Acknowledged Necessity (eGON). However, it will be (if it's not going to be merely a cosmetic makeover) just as far-reaching in implications than the work on the new terrain. Stuff like that is hard to do after an application has been in constant evolution for two decades. Not impossible to change, but nothing that you do on the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ssnake said:

Yes... the GUI redesign is an eSim Games Officially Acknowledged Necessity (eGON). However, it will be (if it's not going to be merely a cosmetic makeover) just as far-reaching in implications than the work on the new terrain. Stuff like that is hard to do after an application has been in constant evolution for two decades. Not impossible to change, but nothing that you do on the side.

And that, along with great patience and time spend on replying, are much of why I am so thankful and very fond of You, Community and Esimgames for what Steelbeast is, and hopefully will be in future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Augh,  bear with me, here comes another crazy wish idea for very distant future. 

 

How about Free flight camera route painting to map.  A bit like on some GPS that draw route you have moved on.

 

When I make missions, especially for opfor, I use free flight camera to go from battle position to another, where I usually drop waypoints.

It would be neat if one could have this flight path drawn to map, at-least in mission editor. 

 

On mission planning it would be kind of cheating, would it not? 

 

And it would be nice to be able to drop way-points or battle positions to camera location or where mouse is pointing with hotkeys while using free flight camera.  (without jumping between map and world view all the time.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Or drop down / Pop up menu to choose from.  :3    Though writing unit name would be neat option too! 👍

Except that has limitations.

 

A Soviet MR Bn has what 30 BMP (each with 2 Inf teams) - do you really want a drop down list that contains 100+ items? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gibsonm said:

Except that has limitations.

 

A Soviet MR Bn has what 30 BMP (each with 2 Inf teams) - do you really want a drop down list that contains 100+ items? :)

Eeer...  rather that than going trough all of it by clicking by mouse. On such large scenario I would agree with Grennys idea of writing unit name. Perhaps a kind of search function? to narrow list. Ha, I can already imagine Ssnake doing very long facepalm when he reads this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it's one of the obvious questions that must be addressed. One idea we're considering is a TOE graph with expandable and collapsible branches that shows the composition of the entire party, and then you'd pick the unit ID by clicking on the corrsponding icon in that TOE graph. This might involve more mouse action, but at the same time it's probably the most efficient way to let the user select a specific unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

No, it's one of the obvious questions that must be addressed. One idea we're considering is a TOE graph with expandable and collapsible branches that shows the composition of the entire party, and then you'd pick the unit ID by clicking on the corrsponding icon in that TOE graph. This might involve more mouse action, but at the same time it's probably the most efficient way to let the user select a specific unit.

+1

Great idea, I hope that is the way you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have you tried holding "Shift" and Left / Right Click?

 

Also if you want units to move after a set time period use the "Embark If..." and set

[ Mission > 0.00 ]

to

[ Incremental time < X.XX ] (X.XX is the time you want them to wait)

 

You can randomise this by adding another element/condition/variable and using the

[ 0 <= Random variable New < 0 ]

where

[ 0 <= Random Variable New < 25 ]

will result in a 25% chance it will use this route

 

Where New is used you can set X1 through X63.

This is good for synchronising unit movements as you can tell them all to use the same variable (X1 - X63)

E.G. Tank Platoons in a Tank Company "A" are to use Route A/B/C/D the platoons will be told to use variable X1

Tank Platoons in a Tank Company "B" are to use Route A/B/C/D the platoons will be told to use variable X2 etc

 

With a nominal 25% chance of variable X1 falls within that range.

Route A = 0>25

Route B = 25>50

Route C = 50>75

Route D = 75>100

You can of course fiddle the numbers to increase / decrease the chance that Variable / Route will be picked.

 

SB can accomodate a lot of randomness, you just need the paitence to set it all up.

 

 

Oh just remeber if you have set Waypoint Tactics to "Defend" or "Guard" set an unconditioned retreat route or they will default to "Hold/die in place" tactics.

Generally I have 3 retreat routes

1 unconditioned

2 Incremental time

3 Unit XYZ has reached waypoint ABC 

or

3 Friendly units in Area DEF = GHI numbers - this way in unit XYZ gets whacked by the enemy they don't F**k up the whole AI script.

 

 

Edited by Hedgehog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a silly little wish that just came to my mind.  

 

What about if in Gunnery range, there would be trigger to disable various systems. Such as Laser range finder or ballistic computer.  For more challenge.

 

It would be nice if that would be visible on score too that Range has been completed with X score with these systems disabled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

i still have to go with a fundamental change to the shooting detection- the ai detects the shooting the moment the trigger is pulled on a weapon and begins searching for the source, giving the ai a jump start. this primarily affects slower moving projectiles and especially atgms, giving crews an advantage to detect a missile launch and reacting too quickly

Edited by Captain_Colossus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...