Azure Lion

Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Make it easier to move / orientate wire, IEDs, and other smaller obstacles / items (ISO containers, etc.).

Suggestion: Add the long "orientation bars" now provided to Bunkers and Vehicle scrapes to all obstacles / fortifications.

Often these items will be in an "off map" area and need to be placed.

The current solution seems to be:

1. Think about where to place the obstacle / fortification.

2. Move the map to centre on the area where the items are stockpiled.

3. Zoom right in so you can control it (trying to grab it at a normal amount just results in you re-orientating it or re-sizing it)

4. Move to part way to where you want it (because the destination is most likely not on the screen).

5. Zoom back out to confirm where it has to go.

6. Locate it again.

7. Zoom back in so you can control it.

8. Move it to the desired location and orientate it, etc.

9. Look for where to site the next one.

Often all of this "stuff" is just left on the side of the map as you don't have the time to set them up, as the other side is bleating about what is taking so long, and only the "easy" stuff such as minefields are taken.

At least the Bunkers / Vehicle scrape now have the long line that you can click on and control (move and orientate) the item with.

Also adding this extra control would help Scenario Designers adjusting the locations of things during playtesting (IEDs are my favourite PITA item in this regard).

Edited by Gibsonm

Add: The ability to label all graphics.

Currently lines, rectangles, circles, ... and some graphics (e.g. NATO Battle Position) come with an attached Text Box.

I can place a NATO BP and type "2A" so the 2A player knows its their BP.

However for a SBF or an ABF I need to create a separate Text Box and then type "2A".

The tethered Text Box also has the advantage that when you click on the graphic, the text is highlighted if you want to edit it, saving the angst of randomly clicking to edit a free floating Text Box.

If possible, can everything in the "New Graphic ..." sub menus have a tethered Text Box added to them?

And for Bonus Points - Can the four types of "Boundary" have two Text Boxes (since you need to type text for the unit on each side of the boundary)?

Edited by Gibsonm

10 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Add: The ability to label all graphics.

Currently lines, rectangles, circles, ... and some graphics (e.g. NATO Battle Position) come with an attached Text Box.

I can place a NATO BP and type "2A" so the 2A player knows its their BP.

However for a SBF or an ABF I need to create a separate Text Box and then type "2A".

The tethered Text Box also has the advantage that when you click on the graphic, the text is highlighted if you want to edit it, saving the angst of randomly clicking to edit a free floating Text Box.

If possible, can everything in the "New Graphic ..." sub menus have a tethered Text Box added to them?

And for Bonus Points - Can the four types of "Boundary" have two Text Boxes (since you need to type text for the unit on each side of the boundary)?

There is already the option to add just a text box so you can place text whenever you want. It makes it easier to declutter whenever you dont want any text.

Talking about text...

Can we get text size 0.25,0.50,0.75 added in the map? Right now there is a to big gap between Tex size 0 and 1, 0 is to thin to see when zooming out and 1 is to thick when you start zooming in. Really clutters the map when you need some graphic in close vicinity.

/KT

9 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

There is already the option to add just a text box so you can place text whenever you want. It makes it easier to declutter whenever you dont want any text.

Yes I know that. I'm not asking for that option.

The current arrangement doesn't make it easier to move a graphic and label at the same time.

You need to click on the graphic and move it, then go into a clicking frenzy to "find" the free floating text box.

Often the map has too much information to click and drag to form a area around bother without also including other items.

The same applies if you want to edit said "free floating" text box.

By all means you can continue to use just the free text, but I suspect several would like the additional feature of "tethered text", especially as it has already been partially implemented for some graphics, but not all.

Edited by Gibsonm

The intermediary text sizes, and a number of other GUI related things too. At this point it's impossible to make an accurate prediction about specific features implementations; the point of 5.0 is to implements a new software architecture that allows us to adapt development processes, rather than the implementation of a specific catalog of new features. But, it's safe to say that reworking the user interface is going to be a major component of the task, and that will bring, among other things, the end of rasterized fixed size fonts, so it will work with Windows font scaling (and thus, implicitly, with 4K and higher screen resolutions; once that we can do Windows based font scaling we can also have near-seamless in-application font scaling for map graphics).

9 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The intermediary text sizes, and a number of other GUI related things too. At this point it's impossible to make an accurate prediction about specific features implementations; the point of 5.0 is to implements a new software architecture that allows us to adapt development processes, rather than the implementation of a specific catalog of new features. But, it's safe to say that reworking the user interface is going to be a major component of the task, and that will bring, among other things, the end of rasterized fixed size fonts, so it will work with Windows font scaling (and thus, implicitly, with 4K and higher screen resolutions; once that we can do Windows based font scaling we can also have near-seamless in-application font scaling for map graphics).

Ah OK so that maybe links into Kingtiger's request re various font sizes.

Although the part about "reworking the user interface" gives me some hope too.

It absolutely should. Even if we may not be able to address each and every issue right away, it should at least simplify things enough that we can adapt the GUI to customer requests with much less effort than has been the case since about, well, "always". Redesigning the GUI framework is another major development effort - somewhat comparable to a new terrain engine - less sophisticated maybe, but the UI by definition has ties to about every component in Steel Beasts.

Hopefully this one should be quite easy to implement. SA-13 Gopher/8K35 Strela 10 (take the launcher from the SA-9 and mount it on the MTLB),

M60A3 TTS with ERA

israeli-troops-outside-shiite-village-du

Other than the ERA, commander's cupola, smoke grenade dischargers, 60 mm mortar and machine guns, the IDF M60A3 was identical to the one already modeled in SB.

Function "Set Damage if" - "Show to enemy" and a related "Repair if"

That way we can simulate artillery radar, during fire mission the artillery piece get the damage "show to enemy" function taken from penalty zon) and when the fire stops you set a "Repair" on show to enemy.

I'd be happy with a mouse sensitivity slider.  My TC jukes around like a drunk chicken.

Edited by R Lee

Does your mouse have a dpi selector switch?

That would be a very quick solution to your problem.

1. At the moment, in game, AI gunners seem to be able to determine instantly if a vehicle is killed. When I'm playing a gunner first person, it's often difficult to tell, particularly at longer ranges with early TI etc. For AI gunners, could you please consider an option of "keep shooting until target burns or changes shape" or "put one round into each target then move on until they all burn or change shape", or something along those lines?

2. Could we have the option that some (it can be a small minority) enemy vehicles and infantry "play dead" if they receive minor damage or if their unit is being massacred, then are resurrected with nefarious intent? 

By the way, the combination of bumpy terrain and more aggressive (vs armour) infantry in the latest version is a vast improvement. I just wish we had the option to decide scale of issue of LAWs within infantry sections/teams so you don't just have the one RPG guy when you can see other's in the team carrying disposable LAWs that are only set-dressing at the moment.

Edited by ChrisWerb

3 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

By the way, the combination of bumpy terrain and more aggressive (vs armour) infantry in the latest version is a vast improvement. I just wish we had the option to decide scale of issue of LAWs within infantry sections/teams so you don't just have the one RPG guy when you can see other's in the team carrying disposable LAWs that are only set-dressing at the moment.

Btw..  there is kind of work around for this too that "May" work on some situations if you want to tinker and test how it would be..   (With vehicle carried dismounts it messes symbol menu (next to compass) for troops and even vehicles of that unit!!!)

Spawn new infantry squad   and you can divide it to two.   Both half's can be set to carry RPG.    So  in the end squad has 2  men's able to fire RPG 

Other solution is to simply use "attach to"   with that you can add infantry units to even vehicles if there is space for troops to be attached.   as many squads or individuals as you want or more precisely, fits inside the vehicle. 

Edited by Lumituisku

You're giving up the squad's MG however, if you create two RPG teams.

32 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

You're giving up the squad's MG however, if you create two RPG teams.

Well...  it is possible to delete existing vehicle dismounts..  and to have..  say..  1x riffle team  (4 members)  divided two..   to have double AT weapons...   and to add  MG  as another team  to vehicle.  Downside however is..  That vehicle squads no longer work as intended..  also naming of units gets really funny.   It kind of works..  but I would not recommend it.  

I've been able to make mixed sections/squads by taking a standard unit, change the size to what I require, separate into 'sub units'. Then change some/all of those teams into what I require, then reattaching them back together.

You can then save the recombined unit as a template.

Took some time to work through this, till I tumbled that they need the same unit 'number'. I use the same idea to create mixed AFV platoons.

5 hours ago, ssidiver said:

I've been able to make mixed sections/squads by taking a standard unit, change the size to what I require, separate into 'sub units'. Then change some/all of those teams into what I require, then reattaching them back together.

You can then save the recombined unit as a template.

Took some time to work through this, till I tumbled that they need the same unit 'number'. I use the same idea to create mixed AFV platoons.

Yes like this:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/13672-17-heterogeneous-group-3023/