Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

56 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

Speaking of dismounts, I really wish there was a way to get them to:

1. Dismount

2. March ahead of the AFV they dismounted from.

3. Maintain formation.

So that a scenario creator could easily have a group of PC's show up at a waypoint, get in line abreast formation, deploy troops, and move together as a unit to take a position.

You already can.

Sorry I can't watch the video from where I am.

35 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

You already can.

Not quite.

It works in that video with a single APC.

If you try to do that with a platoon of APCs, then all of the dismounted infantry will cram themselves together.  It's happened every time I've tried it.  They don't know to move in a spread out formation.

55 minutes ago, thewood said:

Like this?

Yes, kinda like that.  But I want the infantry not to move ahead on their own independent route, but rather to join in formation with multiple APCs ahead of them.  Kinda like it was done in the old days.

55 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

Not quite.

If you try to do that with a platoon of APCs, then all of the dismounted infantry will cram themselves together.  It's happened every time I've tried it.  They don't know to move in a spread out formation.

Yes, kinda like that.  But I want the infantry not to move ahead on their own independent route, but rather to join in formation with multiple APCs ahead of them.  Kinda like it was done in the old days.

Have you tried giving the PCs a "wide" spacing?

That works OK / good enough (note not perfect) for me.

29 minutes ago, Bond_Villian said:

The troops always converge to one point regardless of spacing.

See that's what I thought.

It is *POSSIBLE* to very carefully create individual scripted routes for each platoon of infantry.  This takes a very long time.  This can not be easily done during a mission.

I have had this complaint since the change from the old infantry model management to the new one.  I am *NOT* complaining about the new way things are done.  We have much more flexibility now, especially with humans who want to play as crunchies, and if you want to take the time you can make very convincing scripted infantry attacks, I just want two features to make it a little easier.

I want a mission builder command that will cause Rifle, Scout, and LMG units to get out of the vehicle (while HMG, AGL, missile, etc teams will stay IN the vehicle) and then move ahead of the PCs, we'll call this "Inf.Attack", and gives us an easy way to plan for a PC unit to move to a point, dismount troops, and then together as one attack the objective.

I want a one-key command that a human PC platoon commander can press to get his Rifle, Scout, and LMG teams to dismount and move ahead of his vehicle, while leaving missile/HMG/AGL/etc teams mounted.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

They no longer should, actually.

If they do, I'd like to know which version you use and how you give the commands.

Ooo?

Aaaand stand by for test reports!

Sorry to say that troops still cluster together.  I tried giving BMP-2 platoons orders to "Engage" to a waypoint, dismount their troops, and then "Engage" at various speeds to the next waypoint.

If I can figure out where the screenshots folder is I have several screencaps.  I am using the latest version.

SS_11_47_13.jpg

SS_11_52_20.jpg

Edited by Maj.Hans

9 hours ago, solus said:

Really awesome to have so many Russian armor in the game, but it sucks to have only early t-72 playable.

You might have an older version of the game.

The current version offers the T-72M, T-72A/T-72M1, T-72B1 m.1984, and T-72B1V m.1985 as playable vehicles.

While I admit that the T-72B1 might not exactly be 'cutting edge' tech, it's quite a bit more advanced than the first few playable versions we had.  Plus with the latest game version you can now select AVEPS as an add-on which seems to give an effect similar to Kontakt-5, Relikt, Kaktus, etc ERA.  You can always do that and pretend it's the T-72B1 m.1989.

22 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

That is a platoon of PCs in the video.  I suspect you didn't watch the video all the way through when he did it with a platoon.  I'm a little confused because you seem to be changing what you are looking for over three posts.  I just went back to 4.162 and built a scenario that does exactly what the video shows with a 5 PC platoon.

1 hour ago, thewood said:

That is a platoon of PCs in the video.  I suspect you didn't watch the video all the way through when he did it with a platoon.  I'm a little confused because you seem to be changing what you are looking for over three posts.  I just went back to 4.162 and built a scenario that does exactly what the video shows with a 5 PC platoon.

Well for whatever reason, doesn't matter what I do, I get troops that converge into a tiny little point.  As shown by the screen shots posted above.

If you'd like to attach a demo scenario file showing them NOT converging into a point I'm happy to run it and see what happens.

Edited by Maj.Hans

29 minutes ago, thewood said:

Then I would suggest watching the video for the extra five minutes to see how its done.  It was pretty straightforward and completely changed how I do supported infantry fire and movement.

Set up with a platoon *EXACTLY* as demonstrated in the first half of the video except for using a platoon of PCs instead of a single PC, including waiting for mission time of 4 minutes before proceeding from the first waypoint.  The infantry move out ahead of their PCs but still take routes that converge them all into a tiny little point.

SS_19_44_15.thumb.jpg.89c28822ccfb7d3ecebf84f330c2c811.jpgSS_19_45_07.thumb.jpg.907ac48ee43a150686d632d1a69aa4aa.jpg

Ok fine, but I did use M113s.  And I didn't use "Suppress".

Let me do it again using a platoon of three Armatas and suppress.

SS_19_46_38.thumb.jpg.ed4792e6ff93257501097c10bee8b80d.jpgSS_19_47_55.thumb.jpg.0c6e48076156439ed7f851013aa7a478.jpg

Once again it appears, at least to me, as if all infantry crammed themselves together into a single point.  They get dropped off and the AI knows to let them move out ahead of the PC's before the PC's move out, but the troops assigned to the "left" and "right" PC in the formation converge to meet in front of the center PC.

Edited by Maj.Hans

19 hours ago, Ssnake said:
On 2/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, Bond_Villian said:

The troops always converge to one point regardless of spacing.

They no longer should, actually.

If they do, I'd like to know which version you use and how you give the commands.

What version and method should i use? Gibsonm and thewood seem to be satisfied... what am i doing wrong? Ive tried various combinations of tactics, speed, etc.

Version 4.162

Edited by Bond_Villian

15 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

You might have an older version of the game.

The current version offers the T-72M, T-72A/T-72M1, T-72B1 m.1984, and T-72B1V m.1985 as playable vehicles.

While I admit that the T-72B1 might not exactly be 'cutting edge' tech, it's quite a bit more advanced than the first few playable versions we had.  Plus with the latest game version you can now select AVEPS as an add-on which seems to give an effect similar to Kontakt-5, Relikt, Kaktus, etc ERA.  You can always do that and pretend it's the T-72B1 m.1989.

I have the latest version of the game with all that fancy Armata prototypes... 

Night vision, lead ability and better ammunition for Russian tanks in the game would be very appreciated.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:41 AM, solus said:

I have the latest version of the game with all that fancy Armata prototypes... 

Night vision, lead ability and better ammunition for Russian tanks in the game would be very appreciated.

The T-72 tanks in game have a night vision system. the T72B has a lead prediction included in its FCS...so?

55 minutes ago, Grenny said:

The T-72 tanks in game have a night vision system. the T72B has a lead prediction included in its FCS...so?

I am sorry Grenny for my lack of knowledge:

Which playable T-72 in game have Lead prediction or am I misunderstanding you?

As for the nightvision yeah it kinda has ... but at its most basic. And when did anyone actually last play a nighttime scenario in MP?

So Thermals would be nice.

Its hardly something new that a great many of us wants an updated OPFOR vehicle. As I have stated several times before I do not care about the bells and whistles.

I just want the ability to actually gun it - so NOT internals or anything fancy. Just a sight á la Challenger.

With full respect for everyone and their opinion then I dont understand why we should keep debating it. At all.

This is a wishlist and this particular wish is nothing new. Nor am I alone in stating it. At all.

Either Esim does it or they do not do it. Its a binary thing.

So I wont state it again.

Edited by Nike-Ajax